“Gorgeous property, great service”

Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #50 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I spent 2 nights here on a business trip. Absolutely excellent location. I didn't use any of the on site facilities, but the staff was very friendly and professional and the property was gorgeous and well kept. My room was fantastic, luxurious, and clean. My only complaint was the street noise - I was on the second floor. I called down to the front desk and asked to be moved to a higher floor. The only other availability was on the third floor, but it made enough of a difference to satisfy me. I would definitely recommend to other travelers.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Brenda,
I am glad to know that your stay with us was nearly flawless—next time you book with us, be sure to request a quiet room and we will make sure the stay is perfect. Hopefully, then you will be here for leisure and will have some time to enjoy our spa and restaurant as well for the full experience. Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Every time we come to SF (which is a couple times a year), we stay at Hotel Vitale because it is the best. We also chose to stay there for my sister's and my sister-in-law's weddings. It has the perfect proximity to public transit, ferry building, embarcadero, great restaurants/bars, etc. The staff are my favorite! They make me feel like family and are not shocked by my odd requests (can I have a lint roller, please?!). The beds are extremely comfortable, and while the tv's are great too there is no need for them as the view is all the entertainment you need. We eat/drink at Americano and really enjoy sitting outdoors. The view from the sky decks at the hotel are fantastic as well. Need a late night bite to soak up the alcohol? cheese panini room service! Need to lounge somewhere before walking to BART? crash in the lounge with an ice water or coffee. i love this place!

Room Tip: the ocean view rooms are worth the increase in cost!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laurel L

Dear Laurel L,
I am so pleased to hear that the team has helped make Hotel Vitale your San Francisco home. We are always happy to do whatever we can for our guests—and trust me, a lint roller is nowhere near the oddest request we’ve gotten! The terraces and Americano’s patio are both wonderful for those Bay Bridge views. It sounds like the only thing you have left to try is Spa Vitale—hopefully, we’ll see you there on your next visit.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed as a family of 4 on a 6 night stay of San Francisco. What we liked: great location, a short walk to the Ferry Building with abundance choice of restaurants and bakeries. Two top restaurants across the street. Excellent made to order breakfasts, in their restaurant. A convenient tram stop around the corner, which can get you into the city easily, or to the Californian Academy of Sciences or anywhere else you'd like to go. A short stroll to the Exploratorium, a little longer to Fisherman's wharf (not really worth too much of your time), the boat to Alcatraz. Not so great: room size, we had a standard room, with a city view and while the bathroom was spa like and spacious, the room had little room, but hey that's SF.
Last time I was alone in town, in April, I stayed at the Drisco, which I loved but for a family trip this fitted the bill.

Room Tip: Higher floors away from the road are better, however we stayed on the first floor facing the road du...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank sewexciting
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear sewexciting,
Wow, it sounds like you hit all the best spots to visit as a family! I would say you should visit our Concierge for San Francisco suggestions, but it seems like you are already an expert. I am glad you enjoyed the restaurant for breakfast—our house made granola is a favorite. On your next stay with us, I might recommend trying one of our Family Studio rooms—they offer a bit more space with an additional seating area as well as a dining table for four.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Vitale: Quality, clean, positive service. Certainly meets expectations but kinda workmanlike in delivery.
Excellent location and views. Ferry, Bay bridge, baseball. try and hit the farmers market--- really good food.

Always greeted, staff consistently seemed to be smiling.

I had a second floor room facing the Embacadero, but street sounds were minimal. The outdoor bar/patio made more noise than the traffic.

Well-done, just not excellent. Nonetheless, I will stay here again.

Room Tip: View room is a must. Ask for higher floor to avoid bar noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear SanMo,
I always like to say that the view and convenience are my favorite things about our location, but at lunchtime it’s the Ferry Building. The Ferry Building Farmer’s Market is always impressive—delicious food to-go and local produce. In fact, it is where our restaurant sources many of their fresh ingredients. We hope to see you again soon and please feel free to contact me directly to discuss how we can make you next stay with us excellent.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Sitting right near the edge of Pier 1 and with a great shopping experience right across the street (not to mention breakfast, lunch, or dinner, too) this place was a spectacular hotel. We asked for a corner room since we were staying there two nights as part of our honeymoon and they obliged. We stayed on at least five stories up, which kept any traffic noise out of earshot. I'm not sure if there would be any traffic noise at night anyway.

The room was average in size but nice in amenities.We very much enjoyed the view of the Bayside Bridge. The fog in the morning is an incredible sight to wake up to.

We very much enjoyed the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Keith B

Dear Keith B,
First of all—Congratulations! Second of all—thank you for choosing to stay with us for such a momentous occasion. I am glad that you enjoyed exploring the Embarcadero area as well as your time at Hotel Vitale. We look forward to seeing you next year for the first anniversary!

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I stayed at Hotel Vitale during a girls' getaway weekend. What a convenience to be able to leave the car at home and take the ferry to the city. Hotel Vitale is directly across the street from the Ferry Building, so it's just a quick walk from the ferry to the hotel. Valet parking at the hotel is $55, so I highly recommend taking some sort of transit there instead of driving.

Check in at Hotel Vitale was quick and easy. Our room was spacious and updated. It provided everything we needed and a comfortable, quiet night's sleep. While we didn't have a bay view from our room, we went up to the rooftop, located on the spa level, and sat out there overlooking the water. If the weather's nice, this is a really lovely way to spend an afternoon.

The concierge was extremely helpful with dinner reservations and just friendly in general. We ended up eating at the hotel's restaurant, Americano, one night, and our meal was very, very good. I would go back to the hotel for the restaurant alone. Other restaurants I recommend in the area include Barbacco and Perbacco, plus all the great options in the Ferry Building. We enjoyed walking over in the morning for Blue Bottle coffee and Pepples donuts. Boulette's Larder is wonderful for brunch.

Don't miss Hotel Vitale's spa. In particular, their rooftop "bathing ritual" is pretty amazing. They have outdoor spa baths, where you soak peacefully amidst rose petals while looking up at the sky. Absolutely heavenly and very relaxing.

In all, we had a great weekend at Hotel Vitale. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Erin74,
Thank you (and the girls!) for choosing us for your weekend “staycation”. The ferry is one of the most relaxing ways to travel our hotel and it is so convenient. I am so glad that you were able to try our spa and restaurant as well—it sounds like you didn’t even need to leave the building! Next time you are planning a ladies getaway, you may like to try one of our “Wellness Experiences”—they are special one-day retreats at our spa that include massage, meditation, healthy eating, and more. More information on our website if you are interested—we hope to see you there!

Reviewed 16 May 2014

The hotel is in a great location across the street from the Embarcadero and the Ferry Terminal. Rooms are clean and comfortable and the employees are very friendly. Unfortunately when we arrived the rooms with views were already taken.
We had a very quiet room, albeit no view. The color schemes throughout are very pleasing. They have wonderful towels in the bathrooms. Improvements could be made with the addition of curved shower rods instead of the old straight rusty ones. Also they should get rid of the tray of snacks for sale, it cheapens the room. The addition of a coffee maker would make much more sense.
We went to Walgreens to buy Clipper passes for transportation around the city. However, The San Francisco Railway Museum is directly behind the hotel. It is small but really interesting and it's free, hours are 6 to 10. You can also buy Clipper passes there. The 3 day pass is best, allows you to ride the buses, trolleys and cable cars. The Hotel is within walking distance to the Fisherman’s Wharf and Pier 39; however, a Muni Pass comes in handy if you don't feel like walking. If you drive a vehicle to the hotel, be prepared to pay $63 (incl. tax) daily to park at the hotel. Parking a car in San Fran. is expensive anywhere.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear buckranger,
If you are interested in bay views and your room is facing the city, nearly all of our rooftop terraces open to everyone. They are a fantastic way to enjoy the sights and outdoors without even having to leave the hotel. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our guest rooms, and so I greatly appreciate your suggestions. Also, you are always welcome to request a coffee maker from the front desk and they will arrange to have one placed in your room. I am glad you enjoyed the Muni Museum—the story of our vintage streetcars is quite unique. Thank you for visiting and we hope to see you again soon.