“Great location, great hotel”

Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #31 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Great location, great hotel”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed here on a friend's recommendation. I usually stay in 4-5 star hotels. The hotel Vitale was a nice as much more expensive places that I have stayed in San Francisco. It has a cool, chic vibe without being cold and impersonal like many "modern" look hotels. The room was quite large, well appointed and very clean with very nice toiletries. Its right across from the Terminal Market with easy access to the Bay Bridge and several other neighborhoods (I had to go to Treasure Island and Berkeley while there so this was perfect). I would say that on the weekends, the surrounding neighborhood was pretty quiet, with not many stores and restaurants open but the Terminal Market is fantastic. Highly recommneded

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank AdamsNYC
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear AdamsNYC:
It is always gratifying to hear that we were suggested by a friend—that is the best way to know that someone truly appreciates your hotel. The aesthetic reflects our natural surroundings in order to create a peaceful environment for our guests. I would definitely consider us convenient for transportation across the bay. Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Antoine Berberi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Jose, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Walking through the entrance, one is surrounded by impeccable taste and elegance. The location is fabulous. The ability to get up and walk across the road and witness the San Francisco waterfront in all its glory is priceless. I was greeted with warmth and had no problem changing my room when I discovered there was no bath (being English by birth, I do like to bathe!). My room was upgraded which was also extremely nice.

I have to admit to being just a little disappointed in the room. It felt rather businesslike in decor and furniture choice, but it was clean and airy, with windows that opened. The bath was wonderful - which is always nice :) The bed was a king bed I think, but it seemed more like a queen, and I would also say I have had more comfortable nights in other hotel beds! The bath and hair products are wonderful, and I do like to stay in a hotel where I don't necessarily have to bring shampoo and conditioner for fear of stripping my hair of any goodness at all! The lighting area outside the bathroom was great for applying makeup and the shower had excellent strength.

I think my problem may lie in the price I paid for the room. My final bill came to over $400 - with parking charges and resort fee (for which I really received no benefit at all - not even water in the room). I do hate imposed resort fees when tax etc. is already so much.

Staff were friendly but a little aloof - that may be by design, and I don't necessarily have a problem with that but I know if you are looking for warm and fuzzy service, this observation may be of use to you. I also travel so much for work that I am possibly a little jaded when it comes to hotel rating - it is akin to going to Disneyland too many times! After a few visits you start picking at the holes!

Room Tip: If a bath is important, be sure to mention this at checkin
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Abbe L
Dear Abbe L:
I am pleased to hear “impeccable taste and elegance” as a descriptor for our hotel—one of our guiding philosophies is “Luxury, Naturally” and can be observed throughout the property. If a luxurious bathing experience is important to you, you should visit our spa next time for a Bathing Ritual in one of our infinity soaking tubs on the private terrace. Thank you for your feedback and I do hope that we will see you again the next time you are in San Francisco.

San Jose, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Loved this hotel. From the attentive staff to the nice options for midnight snacks in the rooms.

I would struggle to find any negative about the hotel itself. As for the location - it's a nice little area in the financial dist, but it's an adventure trying to park around this area... Esp with B2B going on

• Stayed May 2014
Dear R H:
Thank you for your kind words. I have to agree about our mini-bar options—the Spiced Almond Carmel Corn is a great sweet and spicy midnight snack! I think that parking is an adventure nearly everywhere in San Francisco, but we do have a wonderful valet team that can take the stress out of parking next time you visit.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Just spent the night at hotel Vitale. Location is across the street from the Ferry Building marketplace, one of my favorite spots. Good view of the water and the Bay Bridge at night. Went to a game at AT&T Park. Best part is that we could walk to the game too.

This is a,nice boutique hotel with good service and a pleasant restaurant and bar in the lobby. We upgraded to a room with a view, why not in such a great location. There is a rooftop spa but didn't enjoy it on this trip.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the water. Corner room was nice.
Green Features: This is SF after all. Lots of natural light. LEEDS Silver rating.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cowgirltripper
Dear Cowgirltripper:
The Ferry Building is a great neighbor to have—for everything from dining to transportation. A stroll along the Embarcadero to the Giant’s game is one of the best ways to get to the ballpark—especially as you are passing all the people stuck in traffic on their way to the same place. I am glad that your time with us was enjoyable and hope you will be able to enjoy the spa on your next trip.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel three times in the past year or so. Location is excellent. Rooms are fine - clean with nice views, although we did not receive a turn down any of the nights we were there which we found strange. Also be forewarned, although it is stated on their site, that parking is not only $55 a night, there is a $7.70 parking tax, which makes parking almost $63 a night, meaning it cost us less to rent a car from Hertz for three days than it did to park there (car rental was less than $100 for three days total). Also, you are charged a $30/night "Urban Retreat Fee" whether you like it or not, which covers amenities we never used - wi-fi (we are on a cellular plan), coffee/tea in the lobby (really?), a music/DVD library (again, really? A charge for that?), notary service (never would have a need for it), newspapers in public areas (big deal), yoga (don't do it), use of the business center (why does that cost extra here?), use of the fitness center (again, most hotels do NOT charge for this), etc. I feel strongly that the hotel should give guests a choice of whether or not they intended to use any of these amenities and give them a chance to OPT OUT, rather than, in our case, paying an additional $90 for a three night stay. Then the restaurant adds a fee to every check which supposedly goes to help pay their employees health insurance - if you check online, only one third of the restaurants in the city were actually using those fees to pay their employees health insurance, so again - would appreciate being able to opt out. And they automatically charge your account $1/day to give to charity - hello, why should the GUEST be the one to pay for the hotel's chosen charity? At least you can opt out of this one. We give away a lot of money to the charities of our choice, which is the way it should be.
In addition (and this is both a HORRIBLE and a good), we had FedEx'd two excellent bottles of wine to the hotel which we intended to take to two excellent restaurants. We asked the hotel to keep the bottles chilled in their wine cellar. We took the first bottle about an hour after we arrived, so that was fine. When we asked for our bottle Saturday night there seemed to be some confusion bringing it to the front and when we got it the bottle had seemingly been opened since the cork was sticking out - and when my husband picked it up he said it was freezing cold. We walked across the street to Boulevard for dinner and gave it to the sommelier who told us that the wine was frozen solid and he was surprised the bottle hadn't broken. No one at the restaurant had ever seen anything like it. They felt so badly, they gave us champagne and we bought a split of nice cabernet. When we got back to the Vitale, we asked to speak to the manager - turns out the manager of the restaurant had already called him to tell him what had happened and he was super nice about it, offered to reimburse us the cost of the bottle they had ruined plus the cost of the wine we had purchased at the restaurant. That part of our stay was handled beautifully.
Although I think we would consider another stay there, I feel that all the extra charges are unnecessary and add more than $100 a day to the cost of your room. Just be aware of that when you are determining the total cost of your stay.

Green Features: If you want your sheets changed, you have to put a sign on the bed - the sign was well-hidden though!
Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank EZ36
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear EZ36:
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your most recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that your turn down service was missed—If you alert us on your next visit, we will be more than happy to indicate your preference in your guest profile so that you may get it automatically on all subsequent visits. In regards to our valet pricing, space does come at a premium in downtown San Francisco, and I think you will find our overnight rates are quite comparable for this area. The Urban Retreat Fee does cover the amenities you have listed and more—including a 20% discount at our spa, which is worth a visit and the fee pays for itself. I do understand that it may give pause to guests who do not use any of those amenities; however there are real costs associated with making them available for everyone. Also, rest assured that all of our restaurant employees have a complete benefits package including full health care coverage. The donation to Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy is optional for our guests and we as a team also volunteer several times throughout the year to help out in the parks with planting and clearing. I would like to apologize again for the unfortunate mishap regarding your special bottle of wine and am glad to hear that it was remedied for you. I do hope you will let us win back your trust on your next trip to Northern California—please contact me directly to assist with you reservations.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Firstly, the hotel is beautiful. It is the typical ultra sleek and modern hotel for business people (like myself) and for tourists alike. The rooms are clean and gorgeous and the first guy on reception was very helpful.

However, where it really lacks (and now I am sure I will get a response from the hotel even though at the time it was really irritating and no manager came and spoke to me) was on two levels.

1. I am a journalist and I was there to cover a conference, where the bill was being paid by the event organisers. When I went to check out a "resort fee" of $30 was applied for every day that I was there. I was a bit stuck as the organiser was not with me at the time (Vitale messed up the persons room so they had to go elsewhere - Hyatt- to spend a night elsewhere)

a. When I asked about the resort fee, what it was and why it wasn't made transparent, they said it was applied as of 1 May for every day $30 for "FREE WIFI and for the discount on the spa". So in other words you ARE paying for something in advance, even if you don't use it. If we were in the UK, this would be done for mis-advertising under the regulators.

b. the staff were very unhelpful. They wouldn't even call the number I gave for the organiser and person paying the bill on the room "because it was a UK phone number". I'm sorry but this is rather embarrassing as I would assume a hotel wasn't cheap enough to not call international numbers consider their business DEALS IN TRAVEL and PEOPLE TRAVELLING FROM ABROAD.

Frankly, I don't care what the inevitable defensive response will be as in person the service was bad but because I am putting this on the net, there will be some response how everything is fine.

Will never stay there again, even for business. it's a shame as it's an absolutely beautiful hotel in a great location.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Elsinore28
Dear Elsinore28:

I am sorry to hear that the Urban Resort Fee was an unexpected source of difficulty at check-out. Although it is clearly indicated on our websites and reservation confirmations, this is a newly implemented policy and I understand how it can be missed and I do apologize for the confusion. Our team members pride themselves for delivering thoughtful and personalized service, which earned us the confidence of a number of loyal guests. The apparent unhelpful behavior of the team member you interacted with was inexcusable and not in line with our usual high standards. I will not offer you any excuses, but only assure you that I have personally addressed those issues with our entire management team and have implemented corrective action to ensure that this sort of behavior does not get repeated in the future.

Again, please accept my sincerest apologies about the negative interaction that you experienced. I will be happy to further discuss the Urban Resort Fee with you. Please feel free to contact me at aberberi@communehotels.com. I do hope that you will give us another chance to win you over on your next trip to San Francisco.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I spent 2 nights here on a business trip. Absolutely excellent location. I didn't use any of the on site facilities, but the staff was very friendly and professional and the property was gorgeous and well kept. My room was fantastic, luxurious, and clean. My only complaint was the street noise - I was on the second floor. I called down to the front desk and asked to be moved to a higher floor. The only other availability was on the third floor, but it made enough of a difference to satisfy me. I would definitely recommend to other travelers.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Brenda,
I am glad to know that your stay with us was nearly flawless—next time you book with us, be sure to request a quiet room and we will make sure the stay is perfect. Hopefully, then you will be here for leisure and will have some time to enjoy our spa and restaurant as well for the full experience. Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to seeing you soon.