“Boutique hotel in a great location”

Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #50 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 September 2014

We were out for a visit with our son who recently relocated to San Francisco and he suggested this hotel. The location is excellent. We chose a deluxe waterfront room (606) and liked it. The décor is nice, clean and modern -- not luxurious but very nice. The hotel is quiet and clean, in fact we were surprised how quiet it was given it is right on The Embarcadero. We only had breakfast in the restaurant and it was very good. The staff seems a little aloof for such a small hotel but it certainly didn't spoil a lovely visit. One thing we really liked were their fabulous outdoor terrace spaces (Floor 7) which no one mentioned and we discovered by accident and absolutely loved them.

Room Tip: There is an outdoor bar facing the waterfront which is quite lively at night. You will absolutely h...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2014

Dear Ellyn F:
I am so pleased that your son suggested staying with us; personal recommendations are always the best way to choose where to stay. Our guiding concept is “Luxury, Naturally” and the idea is that the hotel décor compliments our natural surroundings of the bay. The terraces are lovely—perfect for relaxing and enjoying the view. Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to see you next time you’re visiting your son.

Antoine Berberi

Write a ReviewReviews (1,743)

Reviewed 2 September 2014

this hotel delivered more than I was expecting. Beside the nice rooms and the excellent service, the stay was even enriched in the spa. So for business travelers certainly a great choice but even for a wekkend stay a very nice hotel downtown. centrally located makes it possible to visit the city without car.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear ACKistner:
It is always wonderful to hear that we exceeded expectations. I would definitely say that you can get around San Francisco without a car--In fact, I would encourage it! There’s a Muni Streetcar stop right outside and so many places to eat and shop and see within walking distance! I am glad that you enjoyed your weekend stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back next time.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

What you're paying for is a great location - it's on the Embarcadero, opposite the Ferry Building. Streetcar lines which go up to Fisherman's Wharf and down Market Street stop beside the hotel. The California Street cable car line, which is much less busy than the other two, terminates just round the corner (though it wasn't in service the day we tried to ride it) and there were useful bus routes nearby. We bought a 3-day Muni pass in the Ferry Building for $23 and just hopped on and off all three modes of transport all round San Francisco.
Travelling with husband and two teenage daughters, I had struggled to find reasonably-priced-but-nice accommodation in San Francisco, so I pushed the boat out and paid the highest price for any hotel on our coast-to-coast trip (including New York!) to stay here, and once I'd done that, I paid extra for a Bay View room (with two queen beds). We were allocated room 255, but was grossly disappointed with the view, which was of the concrete bunker housing the air conditioning and about 1cm of the Bay Bridge - a real mis-selling in my opinion. I went to reception the next morning (we had arrived at what felt to us like 2.00 am) and remonstrated politely, and eventually they agreed to move us to 455 two floors up, which apparently was an upgrade (so presumably would have cost even more if originally booked).The view was certainly better, but my advice would be - do not pay extra for Bay View rooms: you may not get one, and actually it would have been equally impressive looking at the buildings of the financial district.
The room itself was modern and clean, the air conditioning lovely (quiet and effective), and there was a lavender theme running through the hotel - hot lavender towels on arrival and little sprigs of lavender tucked in the number plaques outside each room.
There was an extremely helpful concierge, who gave us out numerous little maps, was happy to discuss for ages the sort of things we wanted to do, and gave us very individual advice.
On check out, the hotel tried to charge us an extra $30/night 'urban retreat fee' for using the facilities of the hotel. Again I remonstrated politely but firmly and pointed out there was no reference to this on our booking confirmation and got them to waive it, but really? Using the facilities of the hotel? Surely you expect the rather large room fee to cover using the facilities of the hotel? The receptionist stated that this was common in America, but we never encountered it again in any of the other 6 hotels we stayed in on our trip...

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for a 'bay view room' - their idea of a bay view didn't coincide wit...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Anticipator
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2014

Dear Anticipator:
San Francisco’s many public transportation methods can get you just about anywhere you need to go in the city—it’s so convenient! The San Francisco Railway Museum, which is right around the corner, also sells Muni passes. Our Embarcadero Waterfront Rooms don’t have as many options for double rooms—but you might be interested in trying one of our Family Studios next time you stay—they come with an additional seating area as well as a dining table for four. It is wonderful that you enjoyed the lavender throughout because it is our signature scent and it is wonderful for relaxation and stress relief. The concierges are all so helpful and are a wealth of Bay Area knowledge, so I am glad that you were able to sit down with them. My apologies that you felt that the Urban Retreat fee was not clear enough. Although we have listed it on our website and in our confirmation letters, it is obvious that we have to make it a lot more visible and clearer. Thank you for your input and we hope to see you and your family again on your next trip to the states.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at Hotel Vitale for 1 night, we booked the Deluxe Waterfront King room (Room 349), the view is more like partial waterfront view, lovely view of HVAC, and the room itself is average nothing to brag about. Unfortunately during our stay there was an event at their terrace and we could hear the music, we're a bit annoyed by it. For the price we paid ($500+), we could be staying at other hotels (MO) with better value.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dontlosemyluggage

Dear dontlosemyluggage:

I am sorry to hear that the view from your room was not as you had expected. We have recently reviewed all of our room type descriptions and modified all of those that were not clear to ensure that our guests are never disappointed with what they have purchased. It is obvious that we either did not properly describe the room type that you have purchased, or our front desk did not place you in the right room. We will be happy to research and make any necessary adjustments if we unknowingly mislead you in any way. Please feel free to contact me directly at 415 278 3710 or email me at aberberi@communehotels.com so that I may collect your information and do the necessary research and possible adjustment.

In the meantime, I look forward to hearing from you and sincerely hope that you will give us another chance to impress you in the near future. I will do whatever it takes to make things right.

Reviewed 30 August 2014

I give the hotel 4 stars due to the location. In my opinion, there couldn't be a better location, and I was very impressed to see that at night it is quiet. The views are great too. I just think that the hotel amenities are a bit weak, the staff could certainly be more attentive and the rooms - modern and clean - could be a bit more luxurious. The restaurant's food is fair compare to all the great restaurants in San Francisco.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear amimastri:
Thank you, our location is a favorite, especially because waterfront hotels are not as common in San Francisco as you might think. If you are referring to bath amenities, we have updated them since your stay last year, so perhaps we have already improved in that aspect. I am disappointed to learn that the team was not able to make a positive impression during your stay, please contact me directly if you would like to share more details, so that we may use them to tailor our training.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

I know San Francisco is expensive, but when you pay high nightly rates for an inside-facing room that is bit small and plain, something needs to add up to make it worth the price. This hotel doesn't have all the pieces in place. The food is OK. The bar was disappointing. The outside patio closes early (which is OK as they are cognizant of the noise bothering guests) but the service inside or out wasn't up to the standard one would expect.

Really, this hotel is about the location. If you expect luxury for the price, you might want to reset your expectations. I found the linens and towels to be acceptable at best. The rooms lack any design warmth. Walls are thin and noise travels.

I can imagine a room facing the bay has a great view, but I can't imagine how much it would cost!

Room Tip: Cough up the cash for a water view room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear NKPBerkshire:
I am sorry that your room was not as you had expected—typically guests choose our tranquil interior rooms for the quiet that they provide. We should have been clearer at time of reservation and again at check-in about your room configuration and view, and I am sure we would have been more than happy to propose an alternative if this one was not to your liking. We also should have informed you that we have a beautiful terrace on the 5th floor that is accessible to all of our guests where they can sit and enjoy the view of the Ferry Building and the San Francisco Bay at any time of the day. I am disappointed to hear that our service was lacking in our restaurant and bar. Since we are always interested in learning of ways to improve, I would be glad to hear of any specifics you would be willing to provide so that we may address them and use them in our service training. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I do hope you will give us another opportunity to impress you the next time business brings you to San Francisco.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Hotel Vitale is located across the street from the Ferry Building and has a great view of the Bay Bridge. Our room on the third floor was modern and refined and had a warm feel. It was also very quiet. The bathroom was big enough to move around and did not feel claustrophobic at all, had a nice, large shower. The bed was super comfortable. The minibar was well stocked with more than just the standard items. We also had a large bay window with a great view of the street.

The hotel has a great vibe and a modern, eco look. The terrace has a wonderful view of the Ferry Building.

When we needed our car, it took no time for the valet to bring it to us.

We hope they DO NOT raise the prices as the competitive price was a huge selling point.

We will stay here again when in San Francisco. Just a beautiful and beautifully run hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Sarah W:
It sounds like your experience was all around great and I am glad that you enjoyed your quiet room. It is always helpful to know guests preferences so that we are able to wow them with a room that best suits their needs. One of our guiding philosophies is “Luxury, Naturally”, which is what inspires the “eco look” throughout the hotel. As our parking is off-site, it does take a little more time than usual to retrieve cars, but we do have a new system where you are able to text the valet for your car, which helps to save some time. Thank you for sharing your experience and we are looking forward to your return.