“Great hotel but service can be sketchy if they get too busy.”

Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #51 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 April 2009

The boyfriend and I stayed here for one night on Vday weekend. When booking through their website, I got the Deluxe Waterfront King with the romance package which includes champagne on arrival and rose petal turndown service. The lobby is decorated beautifully and had a peaceful, serene feel to it. The people working at the concierge were also great and was able to get me a room on the 8th floor (highest floor).

The room had an awesome view of the Bay Bridge and the water. Also cant complain about the rainforest shower and Fresh products, loooved the Lemon scented lotion and took all of them home. :) Location was great as well since it is right across the Ferry Building. The bf and I also got a couples massage which was only ok for me.

Ok, here are my complaints. Since it was a busy Vday weekend, the service was only ok. The champagne was not in my room when we arrived like it was supposed to as described on their website. I had to call housekeeping about it which pretty much ruined the surprise I planned for my BF. When checking out thru their in-room checkout service, there were so many people trying to do the same thing at the same time that the service was overloaded. When I went downstairs to checkout, there was a long line which made a 10 minute task into a 30 minute process.

Overall, I really liked the hotel and had a great weekend getaway. Would definitely come back, maybe on a less busy weekend.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 24 April 2009

We stayed in one of the 180 degree Panoramic suites on the last night of our Honeymoon and it was the perfect finish.

The view was amazing taking in most of the bay from the Bay Bridge past The Ferry Building and almost to Alcatraz. The only problem was that the Embarcadero was quite noisy. We live in London so were used to it but it might disturb some people.

Service was great and the Valet and Bellboys did not appear to expect to be tipped for every little thing they did which was a welcome change.

The bar looked very cool but we arrived at about 1800 on a Friday night so it was packed with local office workers.

My wife really enjoyed the free hour of yoga in the morning.

I would definitely recommend splashing out on the Panoramic suite. Bobby Tang (reservationist) was particularly helpful in booking the room.

As other reviewers have said join the JDV club for points, discounts and upgrades.

Reviewed 1 April 2009

You have no idea where they are putting you-
We have stayed at the Vitale before. This stay I called reservations directly. I knew exactly the room type I wanted and was willing to pay the extra $$$. The rooms in the hotel make a big difference to the quality of your stay. I was told we would be on 6-8th floor with water view. Got to hotel and told there is no such quarentee and was given a room on 3 with view a patch of water and wall. Went back said i would rather have a room like we prior stayed in- city view and was given the choice of the same room we had before- I was told they would adjust price- well when we got to check out after a 4 day stay my city view room and deluxe water view reservation came to a difference of 9 dollars a night- I overheard many problems at the front desk while sitting in the lobby.
One couple I talked to said the front desk told them they shouldn't book thru the hotel but expedia or some other service. I was totally confused checking in and checking out. Maybe that is how they break you down to spend top dollar for whatever room you finally wind up with. Its too bad since the hotel is lovely- great location. Beware coming off the elevator at restaurant's happy hour time- the noise coming from the bar sounds like a wind tunnel!!

Reviewed 24 March 2009

This is a great small hotel, with an unbeatable location right on the Embarcadero. Our room had a view of the Bay Bridge, Ferry Island, and Treasure Island, and on the 7th floor was very quiet. (The bar is a noisy scene, so I'd recommend getting a room away from that and as far up as you can)

The concierge and front desk staff are very helpful, the appointments in the rooms are outstanding, and the large bathrooms with walk in shower and overhead "rain" showerhead are great. This is the first hotel I remember that had a small sauna bench in the shower, and another one by the mirror to use the dressing table.

The restaurant is good although pricey for what you get. I found that room service food had too big a quantity - we could easily share a breakfast entree.

You should be able to negotiate a bit on price, although it is expensive. But worth it!

Reviewed 12 March 2009

It was perfect from start to finish. We checked in and we were offered a warm towel to wash the travel off - I loved it! The staff was sincere and very professional. Couldn't have been nicer. Front desk, conceirge, restaurant personel, bell captains, housekeeping etc. We and two other couples were impressed. In fact one couple we were with came back the following weekend. Perfect location and a great expirence. Hotel Vitale is our new favorite. We will be back! Thank you Vitale...

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 March 2009

Owned and operated by some San Francisco hotel guy how owns many different hotels in the city.

Hotel is nice, well located and service is good. Especially the consierge, Brian, was fantastic and helped us a lot. One of the best!!!
The bar gets pretty crowded at night and is a nice place to get a drink before going out.

Rooms are modern and clean. They come with many small goodies like the soho grand - oxygen, jelly candy, intimacy set etc.. fun! However, at USD 275 it also comes at a price.

BEWARE - you can get cheaper deals booking this hotel on orbiz than other places. Their own webpage claims to be cheapest but it comes with a drop down menu where you can choose between 'BEST RATE', 'best rate' etc etc. Only one of the options is cheap - very confusing. This ended up costing us around USD 130 more then it should which the hotel would not refund us despite their money back guarantee.

Will not be back.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AndySims
Reviewed 6 March 2009

I used to live in SF and know that the bar at Hotel Vitale rocks! That said, the rooms do not rock. The cityview rooms are small and I saw a bunch of them.... since the first room I got was a floor above the valet parking and you could hear the bar and the parking lot. I was showed three other rooms and they were all small. Finally, the room service was not impressive. A $30 chicken breast was tiny and I got 5 vegetables when I ordered a side of veggies. Good location, bar, etc.

1  Thank nycyogagirl