“Youll want the T shirt as well!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Joe's Crab Shack

Joe's Crab Shack
Ranked #550 of 5,644 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$20 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: View, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Youll want the T shirt as well!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

You can buy T shirts with various motifs including an advert on the back for a good price.
A tour guide recommended this place. I was apprehensive. I could smell crab, and the stairs up to the place are a bit shabby.
But theres a receptionist who shows you to a table, then the waiter comes and introduces himself and guides you towards the most expensive platters, but will also tell you what each dish is,and in my case guided me away from a large main. You can get whole crabs and lobsters, as well as taster dishes of all the stuff on the menu. The man behind us (young with girlfriend)had fish and chips. It looked like a whale. The girls opposite (mum and daughter with granddaughter) had crabs. they were obviously enjoying it but breaking those shells and pulling the meat out is too messy for me. As a starter him indoors had mussels marinier.
In Aberdeen this would be main course proportions. He always finishes my starter but couldn't this time. I had their beachside taster- crab mousse balls deep fried, little pieces of fish fried in crumb, squid rings in batter and squid or octopus baby tentacles deep fried. Again this was Aberdeen main course proportions. I had to leave room for my main, but with a lot of regret, they were TASTY!
I had lobster and guacamole tortilla chips for main. Huge home lightly baked things with seafood and salad as well -he had the seaside medley- a bit like my starter but BIG.
I cant praise the place highly enough: I tasted the broth of his mussels and it was wonderful, garlicy, white wine and parsley flavours- clear- no cream which I think spoils it.
You live and learn. For the future it cant be two courses!!!
Ive looked at the other reviews and find them sad: We had excellent service, a view over the wharf, clean table, good service, except when the waiter took my card for the bill. Im paranoid, and it took an age, but Ive checked my account since and the charge is OK
With two coffees and free bottled water, it came to $70 inc tip. This is more than Id usually pay, but it was good!
The tshirt was extra, it cost £20 inc tax-(NB the latter goes to pay for the down and outs sleeping in the park or begging)
Note this was Sat PM. the place was HEAVING. The ladies was adequately clean, and the atmosphere electric.
Note the menu includes a good selection of Tequilas......

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newburgh, Indiana
“Peace, Love and Crabs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Their Happy Hours r the best! Great drinks, appetizers, bartenders and totally fun! Luv you all...and will miss you! Auntie Jean

Visited May 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Poor Service, Alright Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

Having been to Joe's Crab Shack in Galveston, TX years ago, I was looking forward to my visit to the San Francisco one. However, while the food was satisfactory, although you'll find much better elsewhere, the service was appalling. I had to fetch my own cutlery at one point and they took an age to take our order. No wonder the restaurant was almost empty. I'd avoid.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Good location, atmosphere and drinks. Average food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Great location with a good view over the marina. Cocktails was delicious. Waiters are helpful and put on a good show singing and dancing. The shrimp was fairly average however and expected more.

Irene
“"Joe,s...what a Crab"!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Went there on a friday night, busy, but they quickly helped us and we were seated and well looked after! The cocktails were delicious, great variety, and the staff dancing was good entertainment and sets a lovely relaxed atmosphere. Was impressed with the food, tasty and well prepared and looked good. The waiter was SO good, chatty, friendly and went out of his was to make this a very good experience.