“Lots of yummy little plates”
Review of Bocadillos

Bocadillos
Ranked #1,423 of 5,663 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: Spanish, Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighbourhood: Financial District
Hampstead
“Lots of yummy little plates”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Our group of 6 enjoyed tasting and sharing a lot of small plates. They had a great variety of delicious foods -- halibut ceviche, seasonal mushrooms, shrimp beets, corn salad, beef tongue and lots more. Desserts were great too -- crème brulee, chocolate cake. It was a fun place but small. The staff was helpful and attentive. The unisex bathroom was in the middle of the room which was kinda weird. Overall, I'd recommend Bocadillo's for an interesting, tasty evening.

• Visited June 2013

San Francisco, California
“Tapas with style”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Enjoyed this hidden dining location next door to the Transamerica Pyramid. Tapas were delicious, flavors were very distinct and vivid, the plate size was just right, served in style. Speaking of style, the atmosphere is modern, little candles on red brick walls, dark wooden furniture, very clean. Their wine selection is limited, but the wines are very good. Try it. Especially if you never had tapas before, you'll like it.

• Visited July 2013
Bakewell, United Kingdom
“Tasty and stylish”
Reviewed 4 June 2013

If you want a modern twist on tapas with great tasting food then this is a good option. Small and stylish this is good for couples and business. Service was quick and easy. Would certainly go again!

• Visited June 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
“If you want tapas go elsewhere”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

A few years ago I went to Spain and my husband bought me the Pinxtos cookbook which is written by the chef who owns this restaurant. By total fluke, we realized his restaurant was in San Francisco and we figured we had to try it on our recent visit. In retrospect, we should have ordered empanadas from the cerveceria down the street and save ourselves the disappointment (and the money - this place is bad value for what you get).

We were really excited to try this place and had high expectations. We were greeted by a friendly server who informed us that there were no tables and that we'd have to sit at the bar. That was no problem; however there was a huge table in the middle of the room that was completely empty and stayed empty for the duration of our meal, which coincided with closing time. Were they holding it in the hopes that a big group for show up? Umm ok, but I'm here now and sitting on a cramped bar stool.

On to the food, which is why we came. The menu was short on items and long on disappointment. First of all there was no pulpo - a standard in tapas and featured prominently in the cookbook. Next, there was no morcilla - again I thought I was going to a Spanish restaurant.

We ordered the kale and chorizo which was boring and greasy. The lamb burger was bland. the patatas bravas were wedges not like they're supposed to be. The tripe was disgusting and I actually like tripe. Callos was one of my favourite things to eat in Spain. What I was served was tripe in tomato sauce - no flavour. Even something simple like salt would have helped!

The wine was good. The dessert was the best part of the meal. I had the flan. It was delicious.

Another weird thing, there was this strange movie on repeat. A movie that looked like it was made in the early 80s about dirt biking. What does that have to do with anything? But we had no choice except to watch it, because we were sitting at the bar facing it instead of at the empty table facing each other.

• Visited May 2013
Tacoma, Washington
“Lovely light supper”
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Right next to North Beach, this is a lovely, high-end tapas restaurant. Most of the ingredients are locally sourced or made on site, such as the corned-beef-tongue (fantastic!) and the many pickled garnishes. Very good wine list and the server knew the wines as well.

My only quibbles, we were there on a Saturday night, early, and were seated at the bar. The service was still very good, but we were next to the kitchen door and dish washer, so it was a bit warm sitting there. The mushroom dish, while very good, should have been served with something. I found it odd to just tuck into a plate of mushrooms and nothing else. I asked for some bread, and was given some sliced baguette to eat with, and to soak up the yummy sauce.

• Visited March 2013