“Clean and nice service”

Ranked #212 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Berkeley, California
“Clean and nice service”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

The motel looks very nice inside, clean and spacious. It has a mini fridge and microwave. The manager was nice and attentive. The location is close to Ocean Beach. It is in Sunset District, in a residential neighborhood.

The motel did not look appealing at first, but the inside is nice. The manager said that they will remodel the facility. So I guess it will be even better in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jennifer K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Pros - A good cleaning staff, a bright bathroom (not nice, just bright due to it having a skylight), easy access to the Muni (see below), and proximity card locks on the doors. It is near the beach and only a couple blocks from Golden Gate Park. The bed was actually OK (no bed bugs), if you can get to sleep.

Cons - LOUD! The rooms are about 50 feet from the Muni train line and they run from early morning till midnight or so. So every few minutes the room literally shakes as a train loudly goes by. Additionally, the hotel is over a bar, so loud and enebriated patrons spend the night outside yelling at each other till closing time around 2 am. The room itself was very old and run down. The entirety of the available power outlets were on a power strip running from behind the dresser. The window to the fire escape has a pretty wimpy latch, and should be pretty easy to open from outside. Luckily it's on the front of the building.

My wife didn't sleep the first night due to the noise, and we abandoned our paid room for something better before the second night. DON'T GO HERE unless you can sleep through a war.

Room Tip: Read other's reviews - if we had we'd have never gone to this place!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stephen G

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

Doing the aids walk tomorrow so decided to stay the night to avoid the crowds and parking nightmare tomorrow. This was one of the only places left. I was $138 for the night which I didn't mind until we checked in. Room is so small the door bangs into the fridge when trying to come or go. Smashed mirror in bathroom and the wall heater does not have an off button. We got the last room so no use trying to change.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank cityboy_nz
Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband ONLY because it was near the bay to breakers finish line. We didn't have many options and figured we wouldn't be in the room much at all... How bad can it be?

Terrible! I literally made myself sick because of how stressed out I was. The hotel is right next to a dive bar which made it very loud. We couldn't get our furnace to turn off. After calling the front desk repeatedly with no answer, my husband walked down. The employee told him to turn the pilot light off and said he had heart surgery so couldn't help. He also couldn't answer the phone?

Besides being hot and loud, the room had extremely old furniture. There was mold growing in the bathroom and the mirror was cracked and held together by masking tape. We took all the blankets off the bed as a precautionary measure and covered our pillows with our extra clothes.

At 6 am, there was a crash on our door like someone ran into it. I jumped up and freaked out. When I went back to bed I noticed there was a stain at the bottom of the sheet and I thought I was bleeding. I wasn't bleeding but there was blood on the sheet. Multiple splotches 1.5 in by 2 in.

We left for bay to breakers immediately and told the same hotel guy when we got back. He said we should have called because there was nothing to do now. But really, if we called he probably wouldn't have answered anyways.

I now need to fumigate my clothes and pray that I didn't catch a disease.

• Stayed June 2012
5 Thank Ellenpierpoint
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 May 2013

The reservation process was quite easy, although the 48 hour cancellation notice is a bit annoying. We changed our plans as our vacation progressed and there was nothing we could do, so we accepted that. Upon arrival, we found the room to be older, but pretty clean and functional. The beds didn't appear to have bugs and there wasn't mold growing up the walls. We had a view of the ocean from our room, as well as a view of the streetcars that run down the street outside our window.

The heater was turned all the way down and we still had to leave a window open to regulate the temperature. Luckily one window did actually open, while the other almost fell off the third story when we tried to open it.

The sheets appeared clean and the bedspreads were fine. We couldn't sleep at all our first night due to all the noise from the street as well as the streetcars that passed on regular intervals. We chose to sleep on the floor of a friend for the second night so that we could actually sleep one of our nights during our stay in the city. We chalked the extra cost up to a casualty of poor planning. It would be well worth it to pay the extra dollars to stay at a bit more respectable hotel where one can actually sleep.

Room Tip: Choose one at a different hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RyGuy25
Reviewed 1 January 2013

I reserved a room for New Year's Eve, but decide to change my plans. I cancelled two week and when I asked for a confirmation they told me they didn't do that, that I was cancelled on there part. So on New Year's Eve the manager called me and asked me when I was checking in. I told him what had happen, he was so rude! He told me he was charging me for the night no matter what. I was so angry. What kind if business are these people running!

Stayed December 2012
5 Thank Gymynigirl
Porthcawl, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We stayed here for two nights during a recent trip to San Fran because we wanted to stay in an economical motel near to Ocean Beach so that we could go surfing and access the city by tram.
Positives
-Tram really convenient. Stops outside the motel front door and gets you downtown in 30minutes.
- Ocean beach area is pleasant with Surfside cafe, interesting residential houses to check out, beach very near by.
- Owner of the motel was helpful and polite at all times. He was willing to get out of bed to sort out a problem we had with our room. Owner offered to move us to room that was not directly above the pub which is situated under a part of this motel. We were not disturbed by any noise.
-Furniture in room could be considered retro. It is not entirely without charm (pink tiled bath suite and wooden sideboard have retro appeal). Unfortunately this furniture is not cared for, polished or made into a feature.
-Good amount of parking spaces.
-Seemed a relatively safe area to stay. Interesting contrast to downtown.
- Hot water and shower fine. Bathroom was acceptable in terms of cleanliness (contrast to dusty and shabby bedroom).

Negatives
- Bed bugs. We have stayed in lots of economy accommodation worldwide but have never been bitten by bed bugs so much before. My partner was bitten all over his face and we both received tell-tale lines of bites on our arms. The added problem of this was that we have now had to scrupulously launder all our clothes and suitcases back home, fearful the bed bugs might have hitched a ride with us. The bed was very old and rickety.
- The 'heater' smelled of gas and consisted of an orange gas flame behind a grill. We asked for this to be switched off fearful of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- The toilet blocked one morning and because we had been asking the owner for help to switch off the gas heater at 12pm the night before we decided to wait until we returned from our daytrip to ask for assistance with the toilet. Hotel staff discovered the blocked toilet over the course of the day and fixed it for us without us needing to request assistance but at the same time took away all our towels and did not replace. Since we were leaving the next morning and had been back and forth to the office for help we decided to use our beach towels the last evening.
- Very dark room with no natural light.
- Carpet very old, worn and dirty (could harbour more bed bugs). Floorboards underneath unsteady and rickety.

This place could be worth the $90 a night we paid if the bed and carpet is replaced and bed bugs eradictated. A deep clean of the room we stayed in was also well over due. Be totally clear in your mind what you are paying for if you choose to stay here, for us the hassle of making sure we don't transport any bed bugs to our home. I don't know anything about fires but the gas heater looked lethal to me, opt for it to be switched off to be safe. The owner does not try and pretend that he is offering anything more than he has in his motel, he let us look at the room first but I would never stay here again after our last two days. I hope that the pleasant owner spends some money upgrading this place because it could be a great motel!

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor above the owner's living quarters,
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
El Camino Inn
#4 of 6 in Daly City
Alpine Inn & Suites
#2 of 6 in Daly City
Rodeway Inn & Suites San Francis...
#158 of 228 in San Francisco

Been to Beach Motel? Share your experiences!