“Never to return”

and 1 more site!
Economy Inn
Ranked #176 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The inn is definitely below average (good location at least) and I wish I could have read the reviews here before booking it. We were left with limited choice because of LV cup in town. The room was very old and dirty. We were in room 24 and you will not want to walk on that carpet trust me. There was a dead moth on the carpet and was still there after the housekeeping supposedly "cleaned" the room after first night. Clearly they didn't vacuum the room. There were big black ants in the room and I found 3 crawling on my hand...yucks! The towels are stained and miserably thin and small. I could not bring myself to wipe with them. The housekeeping was terrible as they didn't clear some hairs that were on my pillow. If you are a light sleeper, do not book it as it's just on the road where the traffic is so noisy and we had inconsiderate people talking so loudly at midnight.
Lastly, DO NoT be convinced by the owner to book the American Airport Shuttle. It's 30 bucks with 10 dollars to the owner as commission. He told us it's good and easy but it turn out to be an absolute nightmare. It didn't show up after 30min and went on to pick 2 more locations despite we told him we were already late. The greedy boss didn't want to listen to our pleas and we ended up missing out flight. They are not service oriented as all and just want to take more passengers. I wish I could have read yelp for their reviews as they were just horrible. Hotel should be careful when making recommendations and not just blindly wanting to earn a commission.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Anthea13

Reviewed 14 August 2013

The only thing that this motel has going for it is the location. We chose this as a budget hotel, having stayed at so many with the same spec and have always been pleasantly surprised by great service and amenities, we were shocked that this place was still allowed to be in business.

Firstly, we were greeted by a guy with shirt buttons undone, halfway through his dinner, and slightly annoyed we had rung the front bell to interrupt him. He quickly "checked us in" saying go to your room, come back in 15 minutes and I will check you in fully. We had to ask, what the room number was and where is it etc - standard stuff from any hotel/motel, I'm sure you'll agree.

For the record, our room was 3 flights up and this place has no lift - be wary!

We got into the room and could immediately tell the room wasn't clean. Yes - it had a new bathroom, but carpets and bed sheets were shabby to say the least. Then we closed the door to read "There are bed bugs here - do not stay here" This was "their best room" I'd hate to think what the worst room was. Who doesn't clean that off the back of the door? !

I refused to stay the night, but they took my money anyway.

There are plenty of great places to stay in this area of SF, I wouldn't take the risk booking this one.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jenlouh
Reviewed 2 August 2013

This motel was average at best with the only real good points being the location. Group of 4 friends stayed here and although the rooms weren't the worst I have ever seen they were pretty bad. I spend very little time in the hotel/motel rooms but it didn't take long to realise these were not cleaned properly and not correctly maintained. There were some unsavory characters floating around but this didn't stop us enjoying the sights of Lombard and Chestnut Street. Short taxi ride to China Town and The main Piers. Sadly the accommodation wasn't up to scratch for the prices being paid (I am aware that San Fran is an expensive place to stay), however Final Final is a decent bar for a drink around 30 seconds walk away.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Scuba-Lip
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Mind: the property is currently called Economy Inn, not Knights Inn!

We were making a round trip of the US West and spending a weekend in SF (June 22 to 24). Slightly shocked with the hotel rates, we picked this one as it was more or less reasonably priced (still > 100 USD per night) and had free parking (evidently hard to find in SF) and WiFi. We expected nothing more than a basic accommodation, and it was, but our room was clean and we had a fridge, microwave and a coffeemaker. Two guys at the office were friendly and helpful and the location was just fantastic: you had numerous places to eat and drink (especially on the parallel Chestnut street) and most sights (Fishermen's Wharf, Pier 39) were within a reasonable walk or otherwise easily reachable by public transport. Though the property was pretty basic, it had some kind of positive vibe to it, so we had a great time, loved the city and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Run down dirty, no staff on duty, even a key drop off at 9:30am!!!' , we laid on our beach towels on the bed because room was so filthy, thank god our arrival was delayed so our stay in the room was for only the most minimum amount of time, all this from what I thought was a budget price, it should have been a backpackers hostel price!!!! AVOID, much nicer hotels a across street, comfort inn was one, as previous post you can't find it because it is still signed as "economy inn"

Room Tip: Phone a different hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bryan50
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Reading the reviews on this I am surprised. Same address that was on my confirmation! I booked on the internet and then couldnt find the hotel. On phoning them it transpires that this is the Economy Inn with a flag in a pot in reception for the Knights Inn. We had a room on the ground floor being disabled. The room was filthy the bed under the sheets disgusting. The bathroom was a bit cleaner and the shower sprayed half the room. We were unable to move to another hotel as they were all full so had to stay for the 2 nights. A sign outside said recently refurbished rooms! I asked and was told by the manager it was refurbished several years ago.

Room Tip: Would be very surprised if there were any good rooms!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jo B
Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

perfect location in the marina with free parking, excellent wifi , and professional managers .nothing fancy but everything that you would need , fridge, microwave, coffee maker , hair dryer and a clean comfortable
bed.The manager was very helpful , gave us some very helpful tips . Would definitely
stay here again