“Basic”

Ranked #176 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
St Albans, United Kingdom
“Basic”
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

It's difficult to find the right words to describe this hotel/motel. It is very basic but has all you really need if you don't intend to spend long hours in your room. As others have noted 'reception' seems to be part of the managers accommodation, but as we didn't need to bother them very often this wasn't a problem for us. Possibly not the cleanest hotel we have stayed in, but adequate. Plenty of hot water and free wifi - a real bonus. The lady in the reception room was extremely helpful when we had problems with our shuttle and for this we were extremely grateful.

The room was exactly as described to us, with two large beds, tv, microwave, and very large fridge. A coffee maker was also provided - although supplies for this were often lacking. However with a Walgreens nearby we were able to buy milk etc. when we needed extra.

Location is good within fairly easy walking distance of Presidio, Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39 etc. Can recommend Mels for breakfast and evening meal - very reasonably priced. They also do a great pumpkin pie dessert. Scrumptious.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
West Sussex
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Here at moment and cannot see anything to complain about !! Got everything we need tv, fridge, microwave, and coffee make , bathroom very good and everything works don't know what people complain about excellent location !!! We will enjoy for sure .

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank annlivi
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Recommend staying here for affordable accommodation in San Francisco. Easy access to all areas of city by walking, bus or cable car. Just off chestnut st also which is great for restaurants. Owner lovely and very helpful.

• Stayed September 2013
Chepstow
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

We needed a low cost centrally located place to stay with parking for 2 nights during weekend in August. Even though I booked 5 months in advance, this motel was the only place available. I'd read other reviews, so we knew what to expect. In summary, I would never stay here again, but we managed to enjoy our time nonetheless, and it wasn't all bad, especially if you don't intend to stay in the room except to sleep.

Positives: good price, free parking, good location, great wifi. Seemed clean but we decided not to inspect too closely. I also received good service from the couple running the place, but it is an unusual setup - you have to ring to enter a small room which is literally part of their apartment.

Negatives: very shabby, the building needs some serious structural work - Cracked window and door casings. Air con was noisy but outside even noisier so couldn't open the window. You could feel plastic sheets under the fitted sheet, which made the bed uncomfortable. Gloomy.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank JCChepstow

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The inn is definitely below average (good location at least) and I wish I could have read the reviews here before booking it. We were left with limited choice because of LV cup in town. The room was very old and dirty. We were in room 24 and you will not want to walk on that carpet trust me. There was a dead moth on the carpet and was still there after the housekeeping supposedly "cleaned" the room after first night. Clearly they didn't vacuum the room. There were big black ants in the room and I found 3 crawling on my hand...yucks! The towels are stained and miserably thin and small. I could not bring myself to wipe with them. The housekeeping was terrible as they didn't clear some hairs that were on my pillow. If you are a light sleeper, do not book it as it's just on the road where the traffic is so noisy and we had inconsiderate people talking so loudly at midnight.
Lastly, DO NoT be convinced by the owner to book the American Airport Shuttle. It's 30 bucks with 10 dollars to the owner as commission. He told us it's good and easy but it turn out to be an absolute nightmare. It didn't show up after 30min and went on to pick 2 more locations despite we told him we were already late. The greedy boss didn't want to listen to our pleas and we ended up missing out flight. They are not service oriented as all and just want to take more passengers. I wish I could have read yelp for their reviews as they were just horrible. Hotel should be careful when making recommendations and not just blindly wanting to earn a commission.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Anthea13
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

The only thing that this motel has going for it is the location. We chose this as a budget hotel, having stayed at so many with the same spec and have always been pleasantly surprised by great service and amenities, we were shocked that this place was still allowed to be in business.

Firstly, we were greeted by a guy with shirt buttons undone, halfway through his dinner, and slightly annoyed we had rung the front bell to interrupt him. He quickly "checked us in" saying go to your room, come back in 15 minutes and I will check you in fully. We had to ask, what the room number was and where is it etc - standard stuff from any hotel/motel, I'm sure you'll agree.

For the record, our room was 3 flights up and this place has no lift - be wary!

We got into the room and could immediately tell the room wasn't clean. Yes - it had a new bathroom, but carpets and bed sheets were shabby to say the least. Then we closed the door to read "There are bed bugs here - do not stay here" This was "their best room" I'd hate to think what the worst room was. Who doesn't clean that off the back of the door? !

I refused to stay the night, but they took my money anyway.

There are plenty of great places to stay in this area of SF, I wouldn't take the risk booking this one.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jenlouh
England
Reviewed 2 August 2013

This motel was average at best with the only real good points being the location. Group of 4 friends stayed here and although the rooms weren't the worst I have ever seen they were pretty bad. I spend very little time in the hotel/motel rooms but it didn't take long to realise these were not cleaned properly and not correctly maintained. There were some unsavory characters floating around but this didn't stop us enjoying the sights of Lombard and Chestnut Street. Short taxi ride to China Town and The main Piers. Sadly the accommodation wasn't up to scratch for the prices being paid (I am aware that San Fran is an expensive place to stay), however Final Final is a decent bar for a drink around 30 seconds walk away.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends