“Nice hotel - service was a bit lacking”

The St. Regis San Francisco
Ranked #6 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I stayed at the St Regis four nights. Overall, very clean, nice location,nice ammentities. For being a St Regis hotel...and quite a hefty price tag per night, I was disappointed with the service. My room was not available at check in time. Was told I would receive a call in my cell when ready - I waited several hours and never received a call. Had to just show up - was told they misplaced my number. Room cleaners came at very inconvenient times - my family and I had to wait for the 3 times while they cleaned our room---made us late to our dinner engagements. On the flip side - the doorman provided extraordinary service. Good experience overall - would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012
William F, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your most recent experience at The St. Regis San Francisco. Please accept my apology for the poor quality of service during your stay. We take pride in providing exceptional service to our guests and am very sorry to hear that we did not meet those standards. Your feedback will be shared with our housekeeping and concierge staff to insure that this does not happen again. Your kind review about our location and amenities is much appreciated and we hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

William Fong
Hotel Manager
415-284-4057

Reviewed 26 October 2012

Stayed mid October. Stayed in a executive premiere corner room on upper floor. Great views, Nice rooms. Perfect location and close to Moscone Convention Center.
Only surprise was no Iron in the rooms. Butler service was available, but if you are in a rush, and just need to get wrinkles out, it could be viewed as inconvienent. Only negative.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I return again and again because of all of the modern amenities this hotel offers. I is well designed with a sleek bar, excellent service, a nice gym and spa, clean minimal rooms with flat screen TVs and everything operates off of a remote, including the drapes, lighting, and temperature. Even the elevators are nicely appointed. I stay for business and find there is ample room at the desk to accomodate my papers, computer, etc. I enjoy every stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Stayed in one of the Astor suites. Great butler service (used to press some shirts, for afternoon tea). Great views of downtown. Nice suite although on the smaller side for a "suite" (you just get the extra living room). Breakfast for plat. spg members is pretty good but there is better breakfast at the Westin Exec. lounges. Overall great stay, would recommend and return.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights as part of a short getaway. On the surface, it's a nicer hotel than the 4S around the corner. Newer, well designed. Very convenient with its small, cozy check-in and concierge area right inside the door. And even though the 4S could use some sprucing up, I found myself we had booked their instead. That said, it's a very nice hotel and one of the better St Regis hotels I've stayed. I personally like the location. Short walk to Union Square. Ferry Bldg close by. SFMOMA. If you're driving, it's a bit tricky. And if you miss the street, it's kind of a pain to get back. Concierge was very friendly but if you're a hardcore food geek, you might want to rely on your own recommendations.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stevendilley
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I love this place..it combines cool and elegance so effortlessly. Its understated but very high end finishing everywhere in the hotel.

The gym was one of my favourites partly because of the lay out separating the cardio area from the quieter weights area. Also plenty of fresh fruit stocked several times daily and other touches around the hotel really gave us the feel of a home away from home.

The rooms were so light and airy and hi-comfort that you might forget that you actually should leave the room at some point to go do some sight seeing.

We were curious about the Four Seasons and Mandarin Oriental so we walked there to have a look around but found they do not compare to the very clean and modern refurb of the St Regis.

My only gripe- the pool (which is open 24 hours) was always filled with screaming (badly behaved) kids..partly because there was no staff on duty here to control the noise. Several times we put our robes on and decided to go back to the room because of this and during our 5 nights stay only used the pool once. I would also expect this standard of hotel to use ozone filtering rather than chlorine but I guess with that many kids using it you need the extra chlorine.

And noisy housekeeping was an issue for us...

Room Tip: We loved the Metropolitan suite the most but the standard rooms are very spacious
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank grinchee
Reviewed 20 October 2012

The platinum spg member upgraded room was nice. They have very good service and the employees did a great job. The hotel is in a nice location for a convention. The room was loud with street noise, guess just part of the deal in San Francisco.

Room Tip: High as possible to get away from the street noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business