“Arrived with no preconceived notions but left a #1 fan!”

The St. Regis San Francisco
Ranked #6 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We just returned from a wonderful 10 day stay at the gorgeous St. Regis in San Francisco.

My husband had just completed a Starwood platinum challenge. Since there was no special treatment at the last Starwood property in London, he was pretty irritated he did it. Unconvinced that this is how he should be rewarded, I talked to the nice lady at check in. She said that she was going to change our minds about the Starwood Platinum plan.

We were upgraded to a beautiful executive room with a bath tub that looked out to the room full of wrap around windows. The only unfortunate thing was ...............the jack hammer that started at 7am! We were a little perturbed that no one mentioned it when I called to book the room. It was mentioned at check in but I thought it would be after mid morning. Not so. They start daily at 7am and this will go on for another 2 years, I believe. They are reconstructing the museum next door. Ughh!

So back down to the front desk to talk to my now, good friend, Daniela, who I found out at the end of our stay was the general manager. She is Italian, efficient and very personable. She did everything to make us happy. We were so sad to move from our beautiful room but the upgrade to a suite on the quieter side of the building had to be it for now. We could not deal with the constant jack hammering. It was pretty unbearable. Funny thing was it was more audible from the room than it was from the lobby. The view in our new suite wasn't too exciting but being high up, it was quiet and serene. Peace was what we needed. At night when the fog rolled in, it was pretty magical.

The suite: What can I say about perfection. This would be my perfect apartment in the sky. It was slick, modern and spacious with just the right touch of comfy cozy. The bedroom, living room and study area had floor to ceiling windows. It was bright and very cheerful. The pictures on their website give a pretty accurate visual on the suite. The bathroom with tub and shower was bright and beautiful. The amenities, hands down, are my most favorite in the world. The Remede Spa downstairs didn't sell all that we were given in our bathroom. Their huge, round, lovely smelling soaps, body wash with exfolitating beads, facial cleanser, superb body lotion, fresh smelling shampoo and conditioner all could not be purchased. I think the spa people said from time to time one can buy facial lotions or facial cleansers but they weren't available when I was there.

The concierge team was friendly and efficient. They were helpful in getting most (!) reservations. I find it unsettling that the concierge didn't alert me to the fact that a trip to Japantown could be quite nerve wrecking. It wasn't that safe and quiet seedy. She should have warned me especially since I was taking my daughter there.

The small pool was just right when no one was in there. If there were kids splashing around, it would get a little crowded and be tough to do laps. The spa was next door. I had a facial there and it was glorious. The gym was big and ample. It was almost always empty.

When I first asked the TA posters about the St. Regis' location, some complained about it being just off the highway and traffic being a little congested. We didn't find any of that to be a problem. It wasn't so bad. The location was safe, clean and pleasant for walking around. It would take me 12 minutes to walk to the ferry building.

Parking at the hotel, like all downtown SF hotels, is crazy expensive. There are many decently priced garages nearby in not-too-seedy areas. The pleasant Enterprise rental car company people near the Moscone Ctr have the inside track on where to park for relatively inexpensive rates.

All in all a wonderful stay. We love it so much we are taking my parents back there at Thanksgiving time. Can't wait!

And to Daniela, yes, you did indeed change our minds about the platinum program. We had a great stay. We appreciate your wonderful hospitality. See you again soon. A Novembre. Grazie mille per tutti!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Beaverhousen
William F, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for you kind review of your recent stay at The St. Regis San Francisco. We are delighted to hear that you had an exceptional experience with us and would like to congratulate you on your new Platinum SPG status. I appreciate your kind words about our Front Office staff and I am pleased that you enjoyed your Suite and its amenities. We look forward to your upcoming visit with your family during Thanksgiving and please do not hesitate to contact me prior to your arrival.

Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

Neat lobby not the huge ones at many large hotels. Location is excellent just a few blocks from both union square and the Moscone convention center. Our Deluxe room was well appointed with good service and large new bathroom. As the hotel is 20 stories but not large the rooms are close to central elevators with no long corridor walks. Has gym and lap pool

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 19 September 2013

First off I must say while in the St. R it was a hotel as good as any in my experience however I left my kindle in the room and have been left with a bitter taste in my mouth as multiple mails to the hotel are yet to elicit a response. Were I in any doubt about where I had left the kindle I would not mention it however I realised in the taxi from the hotel that I had left it in the room and only a tight flight schedule prevented me returning. In any case I believe a response to an e-mail (and it has been over a week since my initial mail) is the least one would expect.

Thanks
John

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank LxjO
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I've stayed at this property several times and I've always had a great experience. It's become my go-to hotel in San Francisco, both on trips for business or pleasure. However, my most recent stay was disappointing and I think I'll be looking to try a couple of other hotels on future trips to San Francisco. My wife and I were there for two nights. When we checked in, I asked the person at the desk if she could put me in the same room type as last time. She looked back through my recent stays to figure it out. A couple of minutes later, she asked "Is this your first time at the hotel?" I get that this is the equivalent of the "did you find everything you were looking for?" question you get when you check out at the grocery store and you know the person isn't really interested in your response, but it's still not ideal. In any case, we did end up in the same room type, but this one was connected to another room and the person next door was on a phone call and we could literally hear every word of her conversation in our room. We asked to be moved. We were taken to a room a level up that clearly wasn't the same room type and had a layout we didn't love. They offered one more room on the 15th floor, but it was filthy -- there was a patch of carpet missing, the writing desk was stained, and the windows looked as if they hadn't been washed...ever. To top it off, we were told there was construction nearby (not sure why we weren't told that on the original room, which was a door away but even lower, but never mind that). Needless to say, we went back to the second room we'd been offered. However, the thermostat didn't work. A very nice woman from engineering fixed it. When I took a shower that night, I realized that the rain shower wasn't working right -- it was mostly dipping. At this point, I was so tired of complaining and looking like a difficult customer that I just let it go.

In general, this is still a very nice hotel and the service is very good for the most part. However, I do think it's starting to show some serious wear and tear and needs to be freshened up if it truly wants to be thought of as an elite hotel over the long term. I should add that I've never been terribly impressed with Vitrine, the breakfast and lunch restaurant. It's tucked away on the 4th floor in an odd location and it's next to an outdoor venue space that always looks like it's in a state of disarray. I don't believe the breakfast menu has changed much (if at all) in the 3-4 years I'v been going.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank henry0421
William F, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The St. Regis San Francisco. I sincerely appreciate your comments as a loyal guest of the hotel and apologize on behalf of our entire team for your experience on your recent visit. I hope that you will contact me directly so that we may further discuss the details of your stay and perhaps allow us another opportunity to make it up to you.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

After staying at all the Starwood hotel options in SF over the year, this one definitely stands out. Rooms are well done and clean. Service is impeccable. Tough to argue it is one of the best hotels in the city.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2013

The hotel rooms are gorgeous and comfy. The baths are nice as well. There are lots of places to eat an the location is central so this hotel is a great home base.
There are lots of Facebookers and Twitterers that hand out here. The guys are nice and looking to meet girls. There aren't nearly enough girls showing up. They really should!

Room Tip: Try and get an Exec suite upgrade with a view.