“Good but not great...”

The St. Regis San Francisco
Ranked #6 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I liked this hotel, but didn't love. After staying at other St. Regis hotel's my expectations were high. In some places it was fabulous in others weak. I am platinum, and I had to ask for an upgrade, no offering of late check out, or paper small services that are common for the St. Regis. Also the continental breakfast is $29 and so not worth it, I wanted to switch to a full breakfast they said I couldn't do it even thought the full breakfast was less expensive on the menu. They were VERY inflexible with this. I had a card that told us how long we had breakfast and the waiter in the restaurant actually argued that we needed one for each day. if that was an issue they should have taken it up with the front desk and not us, very unprofessional. Bed was great, housekeeping did a great job and front door staff was super. the concierge helped us book a day trip and went above and beyond, but the small things that went wrong disappointed me. Of all the St. Regis I have stayed not my favorite one, needs a little work

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
William F, Director of Sales at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay at The St. Regis San Francisco. I regret to hear that we were unable to provide you with a flawless experience and appreciate your comments regarding the continental breakfast. We will certainly address these concerns with our team. Thank you for your kind words about our Housekeeping and Concierge teams, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly prior to your next stay.
415.284.4000

Write a ReviewReviews (1,356)

Reviewed 20 June 2014

This place disgusted me. When we are paying $700 USD a night, I expect at least a 5 star service from the Hotel. Unfortunately, this was not the case, This hotel is worse than a one star hotel.

First of all, broken bath tub. House keeping obviously does not check bath tub is in working order in this hotel. The TV did not work either so they had to reset the TV. What top it up was the luggage. We were waiting for our luggage to arrive at this particular hotel. We spoke to several staff at the front office as well as the concierge desk. While checking out, we asked for the last time whether our luggage has arrived or not. Their response was NO. So we left San Fran to go on to our next destination. 30 mins after our check-out, one of the staff called my husband to tell him that they in fact had our luggage all along. Then they finally, asked our credit card details so that we can pay for their mistake and ship our luggage to the next destination. Great!

Five star prices and NIL star customer service, customer experience and product. I will never ever come back to this awful hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank MrsYKT
William F, Front Office Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay at The St. Regis San Francisco. I sincerely apologize on behalf of our staff for the unfortunate incidents that contributed to your experience at our hotel. I encourage you to contact me directly so that we may discuss the details regarding your luggage and your overall stay.
Daniela Cataldo
Director of Front Office
(415) 284-4000
Daniela.cataldo@stregis.com

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The St. Regis Hotel in downtown San Francisco is about as good of a hotel as you may ever stay. From the opening of the doors to the checking out at the end of your stay, you will be pampered and taken well care of. The staff is exceptional as you would expect from a hotel as quality as this hotel is. The cost is a little high, but the hotel amenities makes up for the price. It is a modern facility with everything you would ever need under one roof. The Vitrine Restaurant, the bar, workout facilities, room decor and comfort are over the top. The location is terrific whether you are in San Francisco for business or pleasure. It is a short cable car or taxis ride to Fisherman's Wharf. From Fisherman's Wharf you can take in a tour of Alcatraz or take a boat ride around the bay. The Golden Gate Bridge is also fairly close. If you wish to dine elsewhere besides the hotel, you will find that the St. Regis is in the middle of restaurant heaven.

Room Tip: There are not any bad rooms. There are only larger rooms, or higher up rooms, or what ever type or...
1  Thank jagnew5398
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Was very pleased with this hotel. The noise level - was so quiet. The beds extremely comfortable. Great location. Very friendly staff and a pretty good location. Rooms were nicely decorated but air conditioning really didn't go on as we lowered the temp in the room. One downside was we ordered 4 drinks at last call in the hotel bar. 1 wine, 1 beer, 1 bloody mary and 1 champagne and the bill was $64.00 before tip - which I thought was a bit outrageous.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed for two nights, great soaker tub and beautiful views. Housekeeping is exceptional they noticed that I moved the tissue box to the desk and they supplied an extra for me in the bathroom the next day and left the one on the desk. Very clean and beautifully decorated rooms.

Disappointing that the MOMA next door is shut down for # years for a reno, bad timing!

Breakfast was included since we are platinum but honestly it was a bland carb heavy continental breakfast which was priced over $22 on the menu but they would not let us substitute for another choice of similar value 9 probably because of profit on bread and fruit).

So unimpressed with breakfast that we tried to skip it the next day for points but they said the two nights couldn't be split, they offered to pack up two continental breakfasts for us, we agreed since we were on the way to the Botanical Gardens.

Waited for 15 mins in lobby and when it came, I swear it was in the largest, heaviest cumbersome shopping bag and everything was in so much disposable containers that I felt so guilty about the environmental waste. They even pack 2 jars of at least three types of jam. That's 6 jars of jam for two people. I ended up carrying around glass jam jars all day. This is where the 5 star luxury went awry.

Otherwise it is a beautiful property, well located with 5 star staff.

Room Tip: take points instead of breakfast
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
William F, Director of Sales at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay at The St. Regis San Francisco. I am pleased to hear that you had an exceptional stay and sincerely appreciate your comments regarding the continental breakfast offering and presentation. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly prior to your next visit, as we hope to welcome you back to the best address in the near future.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I dont know about you but when I stay at a 5 star hotel, I want to be treated well and have a memorable stay. I have stayed at St Regis before but not in San Francisco. Well the staff at the St Regis San Francisco set the bar to the highest level. Everyone from the doorman to the wait staff and everyone in between treats you like you are the most important guest. A butler took us to our room and right then and there I knew this was a well trained staff. Our room was a suite and it was clean and well decorated. Everything about the room was perfect. I have nothing bad to say about this hotel. They even took us to dinner each night in a Bentley. Great job St Regis. If there was a button for 10 stars, you would have gotten it.

Room Tip: Get a room that ends in 11
1  Thank Don L
William F, Director of Sales at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
We would like to thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay at The St. Regis San Francisco. I am delighted to hear that you had an exceptional stay with us and sincerely appreciate your kind words about our staff, décor, and amenities. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly prior to your next visit as we hope to welcome you back to the best address in the near future.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This was one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. The room was large and clean and well decorated. All of the room controls (climate, lighting and shades/drapes) were controlled by a panel located by the bed. The hotel has a great staff and they were always asking if I needed anything or needed a question answered. The doorman were formally dressed and always on the ball. My butler was always attentive.
The hotel is within walking distance of Union Square and the local transit system. There are some restaurants in the area too as the food at the hotel is very expensive.
I do have some nits to pick. The first is not the fault of the hotel, but there is noisy construction going on right next door and they get cranked up early. Second as much as a room costs they wanted an exorbitant amount of money for in room internet access and they charged my to print my boarding pass (though I think they may have taken that off when I mentioned it).
Overall this is a very nice hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo