“Spectacular hotel in San Francisco”

The St. Regis San Francisco
Ranked #9 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
New York City, New York
“Spectacular hotel in San Francisco”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed at the St. Regis San Francisco last weekend and had a wonderful short stay. The experience was flawless from the moment we arrived. The valet was helpful and welcoming; the check-in was nice and the desk agent was very friendly. I like the arrangement of the room with the bathtub behind doors that can be opened. We had room service twice and both times the food and service were perfect. The cheese plate was a highlight. Craig at the Front Desk was very friendly and helpful as we checked out. I was also impressed that the doorman offered directions to us as we were leaving. We were sad to leave and hope to return soon. It was a lovely stay!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Annah P
Anthony D, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay at The St. Regis San Francisco. I am pleased to hear that you had a wonderful experience and that you enjoyed our service, private dining, and guestroom décor. Please do not hesitate to contact me prior to your next stay as we hope to welcome you back soon.
Anthony.duggan@stregis.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
La Jolla, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

This was our second St Regis stay this summer. San Francisco being just this past weekend. The biggest challenge for any organization is consistency in it's services and here is where the SR has issues. Coffee service from Butler was not good. Too weak and then way too strong? The room was fine but furniture was worn to the point where it could have been replaced for such a fine hotel. Also dust cloths were left in the room twice? Food in the bar was really good but breakfast was really a challenge with consistency orders were somewhat confusing and not always what you may have ordered. Toast was not hot all three times?
The Bentley courtesy car was really cool but one car for the whole hotel was just not enough...perhaps a two Lincolns would have been better for servicing guest needs. I also was not happy to pay for wifi in such an expensive hotel. As with all SR properties we found the staff to be always very accommodating and professional. Special mention for our Concierge Eric for providing perfect dining out recommendations.....

Room Tip: Use the platinum upgrade
Green Features: They did offer to not wash the sheets if you liked?
Buenos Aires
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Nice view from upper floors, very cordial attention at the Front Desk but not the Concierge, (they gave us wrong directions and odd recommendations). Part of our stay was on Starwood points, and that was perfect. The rooms are nice, but I personally don't like that kind of interior window between the room and the bathroom. The carpets need to be cleaned.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MariaElen
Windsor, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

We stayed in a grand deluxe room for two nights and then one night in an executive suite in
August. The bell staff were attentive and tipping helps things flow smoothly at this hotel. The grand deluxe room which is not the entry level room was very small for two people (450sq ft). There was hardly any closest room and 3 small drawers. Two large suitcases pretty much filled the room. The room was clean and modern with lots of plugs. The bedding was high end Italian as were the towels and amenities from Remede. Wireless access in the room was spotty and there is no coffee or tea maker. We asked for a coffee maker and received it, however they could only supply decaf coffee our butler informed us since a shipment hadn't arrived of regular coffee. That is simply not acceptable for a hotel of this calibre. If the butler can find items for guests, surely they could have taken a short walk and got some regular coffee.

The restaurants were fantastic. Breakfast at Vitrine ran between 70-100 for two. Dinner at Ame was very good and ran around $200 for two.

The executive room was much nicer are larger. The concierge was helpful, however we did not enjoy the restaurant (Zuni Cafe) he stuttered us to for my wife's birthday. On that note, the hotel was aware that we were celebrating my wife's birthday but did nothing to acknowledge it.

The bar on the ground level served superior drinks and our server was great. Check in was slow and we waited ten minutes to get to reception. There is no gold or platinum check in for SPG members. Although they asked for our choice of newspaper on check in, no paper was ever delivered during our three night stay. For a hotel of this range, I considered it quite hit and miss for the reasons above.

Room Tip: Higher the better and away from elevator which dings loud enough to be heard in the room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Anthony D, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay at The St. Regis San Francisco. I sincerely regret to hear of your experience during your stay and apologize that we were unable to provide you with a flawless stay at our hotel. I encourage you to contact me directly so that we may further discuss the details of your stay.
Franklin, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel was very nice. Our room was comfortable and very clean. This hotel is well maintained. The staff was friendly,polite and attentive. Would definitely recommend staying here. Everything you would expect with a higher end hotel !

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Danielle J
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay at The St. Regis San Francisco. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your kind words about our staff and service. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly prior to your next visit.
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Even for a stay on points, it was 45,000. Very pricey.

However, what a great spot. Nicely sized rooms. Nice amenities. Fantastic staff. Can't go wrong with this hotel.

If there is 1 criticism, it would be the check-in. With long lines and no dedicated SPG Gold or Platinum line, it can be quite a wait to check in. During checking out, the lines were too long for me to wait. So I just "threw" the key at the concierge and they were kind enough to help.

A few tips. If taking the BART from SFO, it's a 5 minute walk from Montgomery station. I have another review of Ame restaurant that is on-site if you're interested. Peet's coffee is across the street, but don't go. Awful (at least for me). Use the Starbucks 1/2 block towards Market.

1 Thank Wakky_J
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Just like what the other reviewers had mentioned, service at this particular hotel is lacking. I called housekeeping to send earplugs (you can hear the cars at night) and toiletries (I made sure to mention shampoo, conditioner, lotion, facial wash). Guess what? The service person brought a toilet paper. Eh? The ANNOYING part there was that they called our room phone (ringer was loud) which woke up my sleeping husband. But I understand that the do not disturb sign was on. So can't really do anything about that. Anyway when I spoke to the person who brought the toilet paper I told him the same thing that I needed and he brought the items promptly. I figured it was not his mistake but rather the mistake of the woman who answered the phone. She was also ARROGANT in how she spoke. We stay in different hotels quite often and had NOT encountered someone who talked liked that. Hotel is a service industry and customer relations is very important.

This hotel also wants to charge hotel guests $20 to use the spa. Their spa is sooooo TINY and I only was going to use the steam for 10 minutes. I couldn't believe that they charge for that so I cleared it with the spa receptionist if they also charge hotel guest and she said they also charge $20 to hotel guests. We were about to check out in an hour so I decided not to use their tiny spa facility and pay $20 for it. Seriously, this doesn't seem like a 5 star hotel.

I had a great anniversary weekend in the Bay Area and that would have been perfect if only we had stayed in another hotel. We are Starwood platinum and the room upgrade that was given to us was so small, NOISY and had BAD views. I will definitely check the reviews first next time. We won't stay here again. Not for business nor for pleasure.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cristina F
Anthony D, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay at The St. Regis San Francisco. I sincerely regret to hear of your experience during your visit and apologize on behalf of our entire team for the level of service that you received. We thank you for your loyalty as a Starwood Preferred Guest, and encourage you to contact me directly so that we may discuss the details of your stay.