“If only the service was as beautiful as the hotel...”

The St. Regis San Francisco
Ranked #9 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Toronto
“If only the service was as beautiful as the hotel...”
Reviewed 3 September 2014

Stayed here for our first stop on our honeymoon. The hotel is clean, well decorated and in a great location. Upon arrival and as SPG members, we inquired about getting upgraded. The front desk staff let us know that we could have an upgrade for that night but then would have to move the next day, which we found weird. If someone is in the room, how do you kick them out for the next person to come? We declined and opted for a room that didn't involve packing and unpacking twice. The room that we did have was beautiful and spacious and came with a congratulations card on our wedding and some chocolates, which was a nice touch.

We went to Vitrine restaurant to have breakfast most days; which was delicious and had a great variety. It is expensive so I recommend sharing so you can try a bit of everything.

The one thing that sort of left a pretty bad feeling with us was an experience in trying to go out for dinner on our first night. We were told that there was a hotel car that could take us anywhere within a 2 mile radius. The restaurant wasn’t far but we weren’t prepared for the chilly weather, had been walking/touring all day and didn’t want to walk/be late. We asked the concierge where we could pick up the car and he sent us to Doorman 1.

Doorman 1 responds “The car is out.” And just starred back at us. He didn’t let us know when it was coming back, he didn’t give us an option to wait for it. Just “it’s out.” Ok then. Can we get some sort of transportation to get us to our destination please? He calls over Doorman 2 and says taxi and walks off. Doorman 2 walks us to the main road (away from the driveway) calls a taxi, announces he’s on break and takes off. That taxi never stopped but continued driving past us. We walk back to Doorman 1 and tell him we never got a taxi, he whistles for one and opens the door for us, we get in, taxi asks where we were going and upon hearing the destination, kicks us out. Back to Doorman 1 who passes us on to Doorman 3 who finally gets us a car.

At this point, we feel like a football play, we’re late for our reservation and other guests are getting taken care of, no problem. The WWDC conference was down the road, our hotel was bustling with business folk but because we were a young looking couple, they chose to shove us away so they could tend to the other clientele. We finally did get to our dinner but asked to speak to a manager when we returned. I got a chill or something because I was coughing non-stop as I waited outside being tossed around like a FedEx package. The one good thing about whoever was working the front desk that evening was that they did offer me tea to be brought up to the room so I could warm up and calm the cough.

Once the manager was available, I explained the situation to him and it was pretty clear. We look young but there is no way this would have happened if we were an older couple. He apologized and agreed we were not treated the way a guest should have been. He did offer some compensation but the entire experience left a sour taste with us.

At the price the hotel charges you to stay there, that behavior was unacceptable. And maybe some sensitivity training and don’t judge a book by it’s cover training might help the staff as just because we may look young, doesn’t warrant a different treatment. They had no idea who we were, where we came from or our real ages.

So you can control the blinds from your bed and they offer turn down service. None of that seems impressive when you're completely ignored by staff.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank G C
Anthony D, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, 10 September 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your recent stay at The St. Regis San Francisco. I sincerely regret to hear of your experience during your stay and apologize on behalf of our entire staff. We appreciate your loyalty as a Starwood Preferred Guest and do apologize for your arrival experience and the service that you received. I encourage you to contact me directly so that we may further discuss the details of your stay.
Anthony Duggan
Hotel Manager
415-284-4057
Anthony.duggan@stregis.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
St. Louis MO
Reviewed 2 September 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights at the St. Regis. Loved it. Cozy bar/lounge in the lobby with a great gas fireplace. Large rooms with a huge flat screen TV and also a TV in the bathroom. Very friendly and helpful staff. The housekeeping staff cleans thoroughly every day. Very comfortable beds. Room service was prompt and good. Great location. Would definitely stay here again!!

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank peaceful08
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Truly a 5 star hotel!

This is gonna be a quick one!

We stayed here in Jan 2014 for a few nights and had a fab stay. The location is central, the building is beautiful with nice, chilled atmosphere in the lobby and it's restaurant. Our standard room was very big with stylish furniture an calming grey/brown colour way interior.
Robes and towels are super white and soft, bathroom is modern and everything feels sturdy and high quality. I felt like it was designed and built by someone who was going to live there themselves. Top notch quality. Staff were friendly and professional.

Seriously, I can't fault this place. It's not over the top luxurious or opulent (which I usually quite like), but I was so impressed - easily one of the best hotels I stayed at and I'm very particular!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MissFai
Reviewed 31 August 2014

St. Regis San Francisco never disappoints me. Perfect bedding, friendly and professional staff. The rooms are always very clean and the staff is very professional. Room service always lets me know exactly when my food will arrive. It's the little details that makes a trip good to great. As much as the hotel itself is in tip top condition the staff is what really makes the stay more pleasant. I'll always go back to this hotel when in SF.

Room Tip: standard rooms are just as great
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank traveller201183
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here about 8 times in the past for both work and vacation,and the st. Regis is my favorite hotel to stay in sf.

I love the quiet ambiance and the killer gym at the place. Rooms aren't overly big, but decor is chic and the bathrooms are fab glam.

While four seasons tends to be my favorite of the chains, in sf I adore the st Regis. It's pricey but hey you get what you pay for.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank skiergirlnyc
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I love this hotel and stay here often. If you choose to stay here you may want to note two things. There is a big construction project at the MOMA next door so you may want to ask for a room not facing the construction. The other point s that the hotel bar, lounge and lobby tends to get packed on evenings after work when there is a convention next door at the Moscone Convention Center so you may have to make other plans for a quiet drink before dinner on those days.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Anthony D, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for sharing your review of The St. Regis San Francisco. We sincerely appreciate your kind words about our hotel and your understanding of the SFMoMa project. Please do not hesitate to contact me prior to your next stay as we hope to welcome you back soon.
Anthony Duggan
Hotel Manager
415-284-4057
Anthony.duggan@stregis.com
Portland, OR
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Just got back from a six night stay. This was our first stay at the St. Regis. This is a lovely hotel. While not seemingly suited for families it was great. My kids loved the pool - a luxury in downtown San Francisco. The room was very spacious and well appointed. We ended up in an ADA accessible room so we didn't get to experience the lovely tubs in the photos (my only reason for not giving a five star review). The shower area of the bathroom is bigger than your average hotel room in NYC. The staff was always friendly. We tagged along on a business trip and are very glad we did. So if you can afford the splurge or have a chance to go on the company dime I strongly recommend this hotel. We were there during the recent 6.0 earthquake and while we felt some rolling I felt perfectly safe.

Room Tip: Currently there is construction so if you are a light sleeper you may want an upper level room - or...
Green Features: loved the environmental practices - a nice added touch
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business