“Lovely”

Ranked #8 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
California
“Lovely”
Reviewed 13 September 2009

Great weekend stay with the family. Fantastic pool, super restaurant and excellent room. No complaints

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Leixlip, Ireland
Reviewed 6 September 2009

The St Regis is my favourite hotel in San Francisco. The Rooms where 100% perfect and spotless. The staff were exceptionally helpful providing great information on car rental and restaurants. As we were attending a conference in the local conventions centre, this hotel was well placed for the 4 minute walk to the centre.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Toronto
Reviewed 3 September 2009

The St. Regis San Francisco is a fabulous hotel. It has absolutely everything you could want. It has elegant decor, attentive service (excluding final check-out), great food, a spacious swimming pool, gorgeous rooms, a central location, and a tranquil atmosphere. The claims made in previous reviews about a poor location are false. The hotel is only half a block from the SFMOMA, across the street from the Yerba Buena Gardens, a fifteen minute walk to
The Embarcadero and the Ferry Building, and a five minute walk to Union Square Shopping.
The claims of street-noise are also mostly false. The only noise we could hear was the sound emergency sirens, which we only heard during the day.
Our first room was absolutely amazing. It was very spacious and well laid-out. It was very tastefully decorated in a scheme of creme, pale green, light blue, and light brown with chrome and wood accents. The beds were extremely comfortable and the art in the room was quite nice. The televisions were great and had many channels. The bathroom was ideal. It was enormous and had a large soaker bath, a stone tiled shower stall, and a separate lavatory. The vanity was very large with a nice sink and elegant fixtures. One of the other great features of the bathroom were the doors in front of the bathtub. They were nice because you could see out of the windows from the bath. From our room on the sixteenth floor, the view was very panoramic. We could see the Yerba Buena Gardens, the Bay Bridge, and many of the surrounding hills (as long as it is not incredibly foggy).
The service was also amazing. Almost every single experience we had with the staff was great. The housekeeping staff is fabulous and the butlers were great. Though, the some greatest of all the staff were the Concierges. They were all amazing. The greatest were Caroline and Mariah. They were extremely helpful. Caroline booked tour reservations for us to go to Sausalito, the Muir Woods, and Wine Country. None of their dinner recommendations disappointed. They always sent confirmations of our bookings to our room and also gave us walking directions to all the restaurants.
The pool at the St. Regis San Francisco is also great. It is very large and the space is very light, airy, and elegant.
The food at the hotel was also phenomenal. We ordered from private-dining several times and both the quality of the food and the service were consistently fabulous.
The only complaint was about the mysterious 21% "Service Charge" that was automatically added to each cheque. (We enquired about the charge over check-out and the employee at the desk rudely replied that "It is generally customary at four or five star hotels". If that is so, why have we not experienced a similar charge at the many other five star hotels we have stayed at!?!
Other than the latter experience, I would highly recommend the St. Regis San Francisco to anyone looking for an amazing San Francisco luxury hotel in a convenient location.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank AndreasMcKenzie
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviewed 25 August 2009

I stayed here over the weekend and my fiance and I were pretty disappointed. This is suppose to be a SPG Cat 6?! As a SPG Platinum member, I felt no sense of having status. Wasn't upgraded, but given top floor in 'deluxe room'. I asked about an upgrade, but they said this was it. I kinda doubt it because there were suites available. As for the platinum gift, and there was none. After, the person checked me in didn't give me any info on the property and I had to over-hear it from another guest checking in. This hotel is noisy! I could hear ppl partying on the streets below, while being on the top floor!

One thing, I don't like about this property is the stuck up ness of the check in staff. I think they prefer checking in ppl in suits and ties. After I mentioned that I was platinum, she was like oh you're platinum. The one thing I do like is calling the 'Butler' which is just like calling 'Guest Services'. haha.

The room is nice, but nothing that wows me. Oh and I got asked by the maid twice what time we're checking out. I said 4 PM, and they came back at 3:30 PM to ask the same question. Also, the concierge has no clue about what they are talking about. Being a local, I knew the stuff better than them.

I'm not sure I will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank albutt27
Portland
Reviewed 24 August 2009

Lovely rooms, chic contemporary design with push button lighting and blind controls. Bathrooms are the bomb with Remede amenities, though no mouthwash. No Platinum SPG amenity delivered to room. When I called and asked if they deliver one, they said depending on occupancy they'll take the time to bring some "sweets" to the room, but with high occupancy they do not. Requested a wine bucket, ice and four glasses. 25 minutes later as I was fuming, having called two more times for a total of three calls, it arrived. No suite upgrade for Platinum SPG. They claimed they did not have any Astor suites available, so I fired up the laptop and told them they might want to take a look at the online website. They upgraded us to a corner room, but not without some major verbage on my part and only on the second day of our stay. Let's be frank, if you have Platinum SPG guests it's probably not going to create a good image of the management of this hotel for the front desk employees to get caught lying about whether or not upgraded rooms are available. No Club floor. For those who think this hotel is the "best" in San Fran, I suggest they try out a competitor a block away or the two well known hotels on Nob Hill that do have Club Floors. The style is different on Nob Hill but no comparison in service.
We had friends come in to pick us up so they could see the room. Oops, first 30 minutes at the St Regis is a mere $10! The valet had been told they would be up and back down, but yet they did not leave the car up, even though they weren't busy. Down it went into the garage and we waited for 20 minutes while they retrieved the damn thing. I finally had a come to Jesus meeting with one of the guys and the car magically appeared. Overnight parking is a veritable bargain at $50. And if you're silly enough to use the hotel laundry service then you deserve the surprise you'll get with those charges. We dropped a pair of pants at a nearby cleaners for same day service with a wine spot from lunch rather than auctioning off our first born to pay for "rush" laundry with the hotel.
AME is a fine restaurant. I'm not sure where the Michelin star fits in, but it's quite good and as pricey as any of the high end restaurants it competes against, but not overly so. Breakfast on the other hand looks to be outrageously priced. No buffet, and the room service prices will really get your attention.
The gym is somewhat small and the weight equipment is packed in. Plenty of good cardio equipment and an attendant during daytime hours with cold water, towels and fruit. We've been in larger more spacious gyms, but there's nothing wrong with this.
No iron or ironing board in the rooms. You have to call the Butler or Front desk. Each time we called, regardless of the reason or occasion the phone rang off the hook before being answered. Lord knows why, but in a hotel that wants to charge $350 and up per night, at least staff the phones appropriately. Once we got through the iron was delivered within 5 minutes, but no ironing board, but she quickly retrieved it and brought that once she realized we wanted an ironing board also.
Acceptable flat screen tv plus one in the bathroom, which is really a very nice upscale touch, with a very good assortment of channels to select from. Also the robes and towels are excellent as one would expect in a 5 star hotel. Tub and shower.
Location is next to SF Museum of Modern Art, other than that, if you don't have reason to be south of Market, the location won't do much for you. Thankfully, San Francisco is compact so most places in the city are within a short cab ride.
Of the 5 star hotels I have stayed, this has the bones, but clearly I thought the service did not justify their pricing. If one has never experienced a hotel of this caliber I guess you could get all googly eyed at the glamour, the design, the lovely lobby/bar and the HOPPING bar scene on weekends with 20 and 30 year olds cocktailing until the wee hours, but it was lacking to us. Maybe the fact that we weren't even acknowledged as Platinum guests when checking in, no Platinum amenity, having to argue with the front desk or whether there were upgraded rooms, just left a weird feeling.
We would not stay again unless it were in the low $200's. It doesn't merit anymore in our opinion. Now if we were on an expense account and could care less what our boss thought, then maybe we'd do it, but I'd sooner blow the corporate card on the 5 star a block away or up on Nob Hill. Those are far more of a value than the St Regis.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PDXStocks
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 11 August 2009

This is an amazing hotel and the best hotel I have ever stayed in while in San Fran, maybe the best hotel ever! The staff is very attentive and the rooms are gorgeous!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 7 August 2009

I love this hotel. Great style, amazing concierges (they even tolerated my switching restaurants twice!). Good gym.. my only, and really it's more of a winge than a proper complaint, is that there isn't free/normal price overnight laundry/Drycleaning like at the four seasons - a necessity for a road warrior like me. However, compared to the dreary Four Seasons (which is from the stone ages apparently - this hotel is fantastic. Highly Highly recommended

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business