“As Usual, A Great Choice”

The St. Regis San Francisco
Ranked #6 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 27 July 2010

Next to the Museum of Modern Art and within a couple of blocks of the Convention Center and public transportation, St. Regis San Francisco is a great choice for both leisure and business travelers.
The lobby is spacious enough with clean liens and mostly modern decor. The hotel's bar becomes a social hob and quite busy in the evenings. We stayed at a Deluxe Room which was a very good size with a soaking tub and large shower area. The bed was super comfortable.
I really liked the quiet and calm of the hotel and the rooms. There are also a few coffee shops and restaurants withing a couple of blocks. Ame is hotel's signature restaurant which I believe has a 1-star Michelin designation.
Services: Housekeeping was great, Concierge was spotty, Front Desk was good, Parking is valet at $57/day
My only complaint would be the extra charge for using computer/internet. At five-stars luxury properties with dedicated business centers, buying internet services per minute is rather shameful. How can you concentrate on your work, while at the bottom right of your screen a little window keeps counting down your available seconds?

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 27 July 2010

I booked this hotel through a travel website since I had a $100 off any package coupon, and decided to splurge a bit on the St Regis to see what 5-star living was like. My friend and I checked into the hotel around noon, and were promptly given keys to the room. The hotel had placed us in a room with two double beds on the 11th floor, overlooking SFMoMA. We never heard or saw anyone else on the 11th floor, which was nice. The room was absolutely gorgeous. Our bathroom had a soaker tub, shower with a rainfall showerhead (which had fantastic water pressure), nice vanity area and separate toilet area. There were plenty of towels, and we were pleased to see bath sheet sized towels. The Remede toiletries smelled terrible, but maybe that's the norm for the brand. (I didn't care to smell like a pepperminty forest, so I didn't try them.) We LOVED the Pratesi linens on the bed, and the beds were fairly comfy. The turndown service was a nice touch.

The room lacked a few little amenities. There's very little soundproofing in the bathroom, and I didn't really care to listen to my friend use the toilet. Though the room has a soaker tub, they don't offer any bubble bath to use. The toilet paper and tissues in the room were rough, 1 ply paper. I expected something a bit nicer!

Here's what we didn't like: the hotel staff seemed to think that we were of a much lower class than their other guests. Granted, we came in dressed fairly casual but we certainly didn't look like street people! When we asked for directions to the local BART station, the concierge clerk seemed appalled. The hotel advertises that they will drop you off anywhere within a 3 mile radius in the hotel Bentley, but we were never offered a ride nor did ANY of the employees mention it. I find it crazy that the hotel charges for WiFi, although they did have a business center for guest use. Internet time in the business center was limited to 30 minutes, or so we were told.

I liked the hotel, and would likely stay there again...provided that they treated me the same as any other guest staying there.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank NAUgrad2005
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We went for an anniversary stay when our favorite (the St. Francis on Union Square) was booked we were referred here. We were told it would be the ultimate in luxury and service.

This hotel was GORGEOUS and the valet and bellmen could not have been more attentive and prompt.

But we will NEVER stay here again.

Here's why:
We requested an early check-in so that we could freshen up from the car before seeing "Wicked". When my hubby called to confirm the reservation he was told that wasn't available (which was fine we know that's a perk that is rarely available in such a busy city)

We arrived after our show at about 5:15. When checking in we were told our room was not yet available...WTF check in time is 3pm and it's 5:15 and our room isn't ready are you kidding me??? In our 10+ years of staying in 4 and 5 star hotels in SF this has NEVER EVER happened to us.

We let the staff know that we had a dinner reservation we had to make and asked if a different room was available. They replied "sorry, no, we are fully committed" They would put a "rush" on the room and that they would be happy to get a few drinks for us in the bar while we waited. At 6:30 no one had come to tell us the room was ready so we went back to the front desk...where our keys were waiting in the Rolodex and the gentleman who had originally checked us in was MIA and we were helped by a young woman. HELLO!!! The guy knew we had a reservation to make and did not come get us when the room was ready! Soo basically, we paid for 21 hours in a hotel room and were already only receiving 18.

We proceeded up to our room, they hotel itself was gorgeous. And as we opened the door we immediately realized why the room hadn't been ready...we were greeted by a room that had obviously been smoked in. It wreaked, it was disgusting. I called down to request a room change and was told that "they were fully committed " to which I answered "I'm not staying in this room" she said she would try to locate something (if you're full how are you going to locate something??) Like magic she called back within 5 min. and said that they had a cancellation for a room that was a step down from the room we were in. I said "fine" and then she asked "would you like to come down to get the keys?" HMMM....NO. You f*ed up, you bring the keys to me..talk about bad service!

The second room we got into had no problems but the arrival experience had already left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't think I would have been so angry if they had just been more up front and honest with us about the room situation. Not to mention the fact that they tried to charge us the rate for the more expensive room we had booked and not the lesser room we ended up in.

For the money we spent here I was shocked by the attention to detail or lack- there-of.

A month ago we stayed at a Marriott for a wedding. We were informed on arrival that the room wasn't ready because someone had smoked in it and were immediately offered a different room (saving us the trouble of waiting for cleaning and moving rooms). Guess what...they also offered 50% off the rate without us even asking!! Now that is customer service.

So...bottom line gorgeous hotel...top of the line luxery...service was aweful and not worth the $$, we will never stay again.

oh did I mention the people in the room next to us were still partying at 3:30 am and after two calls to the front desk and a 45 min wait security finally came up and made them quiet down.

1  Thank dollfingal22
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Had high hopes of this hotel, but came away with a mildly disappointing opinion versus our expectations for a St Regis. Rooms are perfectly fine, with all necessary amenities but given the price they charge one would think the least they could do was throw in internet? But no. We found that they managed to get many little things wrong: (i) played ping-pong with our food with room service (the staff were on the phone but clearly some communication issues internally) - took ages, order was wrong twice; (ii) after having asked reception for a 30 minute extension to checkout, I had housekeeping knocking on my door 3x to check when I was leaving - felt like they could not wait to kick us out; (iii) internet (as mentioned before); (iv) concierge, while clearly knowledgable, don't exactly give off the impression they are happy to be helping you; (v) we ended up having a noisy room where we could hear the street below us (from the 18th floor), we asked to be moved, and this was meet with an icy and curt 'no' from front desk - there wasn't even much effort to explore options. A stint at charm school would be quite useful for many of the guest-facing staff at this over-rated hotel. On the plus side, the fitness room is well-equipped, and the beds are comfy.

Reviewed 22 July 2010

I love this hotel for its nice rooms and class. However being a Starwood Platinum Guest I do expect a little extra care from the hotel. This stay when I asked for my upgrade "It was my moms birthday" they told me they where sold out so upgrades. But I went on there site after they told me this and they had for sale every room type possible. I was offended I was lied to so I called Starwood and they investigated. Long in short they made and excuse it was a computer error showing me the rooms. I decided to try them again because I love the property so much and I again am running into the same problems now they are trying to charge me up to 20,0000 points for the upgrade. And just simply read other reviews on here or on other sites and you will find they always upgrade platinum to metro suites. The place would be PERFECT if the staff matched the quality of the property. They have different excused for everything and it is never there fault. I told them last time I felt I was not wanted staying there. They told me that was not the case and told me they would upgrade me to the suite (that I should get in the first place). I thought in the least they may send some sort of apology or a little birthday gift for my mom just to actually make me feel like they cared but no. I will tell you that you will love your room but the staff is rather snooty.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank sandiegojeffy
Reviewed 20 July 2010

I am notoriously picky when it comes to where I stay. I looked at just about every 5 star hotel in the city, and couldn't really seem to find what I was looking for. I wanted something that was centrally located, with spacious, modern, fresh rooms and amenities like pool,business centre, gym. A lot of the other big hotels seemed not to be up to scratch, they were hit or miss, or the rooms weren't really that appealling. The St. Regis, however, fit the bill and had good reviews on TA, which I can now verify.

Situated just a few minutes walk to shopping in union sq, it's close enough to the centre without being right on top of it, and it's in a safe area. I was really happy when I saw the room, which was the 'entry level' category, but was large, modern, and done up in a soothing palette of neutrals. No fussy clutter and gimmicky furnishings, just an elegant space with adequate room to store both of our suitcases, and a lovely bathroom. Exactly what you see on the website photos. It was very quiet, although not 100% sound proof-you could hear sirens etc from the street, but not your neighbours. It also didnt feel too large and corporate/anonymous- it was still fairly intimate, given that they have a reasonably large number of rooms. I think this is because the lobby is so cozy.

As for dining, I really only experienced the bar and the breakfast at Vitrine. Cannot recommend the lobby bar highly enough, the bartenders are excellent. I had a glass of wine by myself and made friends with Linda and Hector, who were the epitome of friendly, gracious bartenders. The gave me the inside scoop on what to do and where to eat in the city. Breakfast on the other hand, I must confess, was rather expensive and very formal - ie we got given amuse bouche at breakfast, spent aprox $80 for 2 people!!!) I would skip this and go out to one of the many cafes for a local brekkie instead.

Service as a whole was pretty good. We were there for a while, and also came back after our trip to Napa, so we did get to know the concierges. We especially liked a female Asian American concierge who was very helpful. Michael, the door man was great and it was nice seeing his smiling face when we came 'home' everyday.

As a whole, not too many negatives to report-there was a mix up with our room service, but they did their best to fix it. I try to avoid room service as it's usually error prone, even at 5 star hotels! WiFi was at a cost, I believe, which seems to be the norm in San Francisco. However there is a computer station that you can use for free + printer. I would definitely stay here again, if I was fortunate enough to return to this lovely city!

1  Thank Carly83
Reviewed 4 July 2010

Returned today from our second stay at the St. Regis in San Francisco. We will return again one day. We enjoyed one evening in a suite this time. A lower floor so the view was nothing to rave about. The room was excellent though, and the bed and linen first class. Very comfortable. The hotel has a spa which was well appointed. I've been to nicer spas though. My masseuse had garlic breath, and that was no good! We went for a taxi to go out for dinner and the doorman offered the hotel's own car. That was nice and fun. The room service in the hotel was prompt and excellent. The hotel's only drawback, if there is one, is the hotel's location. It is not in Union Square, as some other posters have suggested, it is a few blocks away. I prefer a hotel on nob hill. I prefer an older hotel with character too, and the St. Regis is new and very modern. It lacks character. The room was ultra masculine too. Perhaps the decor could be softened up a bit to make it more homey. That being said, St. Regis is a great hotel. If you're visiting San Francisco, the St. Regis will not disappoint.