“Great rooms and service but noisy and expensive”

The St. Regis San Francisco
Ranked #9 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Travelling for a year
“Great rooms and service but noisy and expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2011

I stayed at the St Regis for the last few days of my living and working in San Francisco - we had moved out of our apartment and shipped our stuff so wanted to stay somewhere great for our last few days.

The service and quality of the rooms did not disappoint! Both were excellent, as expected given the price of the rooms. However the room service and breakfast were VERY expensive. Also the only poor service we received was at breakfast - definitely do not eat there! There is a cafe over the road called The Grove, which is good quality and value - try there instead.

The location was great but noisy, which disturbed sleep, I know this is not the fault of the hotel - they can not help the noise of the city, but it is something to be aware of.

I had a great massage in the spa and a lovely swim.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2011

Wow, the pricey room rate is just the beginning! This is a very expensive hotel. Expect to be sticker shocked if you take anything from the mini bar ($15 for a bar of chocolate) or watch a movie ($18!). Breakfast is about double the price as what you would expect at another luxury hotel. A room service salad is $30 plus 21% gratuity and additional service charges.

Given the St. Regis is a very upscale hotel, I was shocked that there was a group of loud, late night partiers down the hall screaming and drunk. I had to call security twice: once at 2:30am and once at 10am the next day. I found it difficult to fall back asleep after the late night disturbance. Also, even though I was on a very high floor, I still heard a lot of street noise, especially when the local bars closed at night.

Overall, I can't see myself returning. I just didn't find it to be good value for what I paid.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
StRegisSanFran, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, 9 February 2011
Thank you for your feedback. We will continue monitoring our Honor Bar and Private Dining organic items and pricing to remain comparable with the other 5 Star hotels in San Francisco. We regret that you were inconvenienced by the noise caused from other guests and the surrounding metropolitan area. Our Security staff will continue being diligent in handling isolated incidents should they occur as the comfort of all of our guests is a top priority.
Please contact me directly for any further personal assistance. I can be reached at 415-284-4057 or William.fong@stregis.com.
William Fong
Hotel Manager
St. Regis San Francisco
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2011

Stayed in a corner executive suite for three days in October. Loved the floor to ceiling windows and very comfy beds. The room was designed with a modern, urban aesthetic, yet retained a very comfortable and relaxed feel. We did hear some sirens and trash trucks in the early morning hours, but that's to be expected in the city.

The hotel is a couple blocks away from the SOMA neighborhood, which seems to be the place for all the happening bars and restaurants. The concierge made fabulous dining recommendations amongst all the great foodie destinations in SF. The bar was a great place to sit, enjoy a hand crafted cocktail and people watch. We did eat at the hotel's Asian restaurant one night and was a bit disappointed with the confused service, the food was just average for the price. With so many great choices in SF, I would skip it.

We made use of the hotel's Bentley for dinner one night and that was a very nice touch. I booked through AMEX platinum and used a spa credit for a great massage at the quiet, peaceful spa. I did not use the indoor pool, although it looked like a very relaxing.

We walked the neighborhood at night back from union square after some serious shopping and had no problems. We felt very safe despite what other reviewers have stated.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2011

The staff is excellent- pleasant and helpful. The room( a suite) was starkly furnished so that it was unpleasant and some areas were shabby. Lighting was poor. The 'can't read comfortably because the hotel is saving electricity style' which I expect in budget accommodations. We usually stay in the comparably priced Mandarin Oriental which has always been excellent. The St. Regis is many notches down.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2011

My platinum status earned us an Astor Suite upgrade. Nice and spacious for our New Year's Eve night out. We also got a bottle of Moet & Chandon Champagne and 8 Charles Chocolate truffles. Yum!

It's a very modern St. Regis with all the technology amenities as well as a very comfortable bed.

I took my 18 month old son to the pool which he enjoyed. The water warm enough for a toddler.

AME restaurant downstairs is amazing. Delicious food without being too pretentious.

There is a firehouse a block or so away so it can get noisy for people who aren't used to being in a city but it was fine for me.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Odessa, Ukraine
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,542 helpful votes
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2010

First of all let me explain that we didn't stay overnight since we left the hotel approx. 30 minutes after check-in.

We've arrived from airport in the evening, approx. 20:30. When checking in we've been informed that the hotel was sold out and therefore, even I'm holding Platinum SPG status, we would get only a Grand Deluxe room - but top floor (20th). Holding Platinum status, at US$ 389.00++ there isn't even breakfast included nor is there a Club Lounge with all-day snacks, drinks...

When entering the Grand Deluxe room I asked myself where they've lost the "Grand". The room was small, maybe one of the smallest I've seen at SPG during the last year. But okay, we didn't come to SFO to stay in the room and therefore I decided to stay.

But when the bellboy left and we sat down we realized a big noise. I switched off the aircon - but the noise remained. I means not a bit of noise, I mean real noise. According to what I understand this noise was caused by the aircon located on top of the roof - just above our room.

I called the front desk and they told me to send a technician. But nobody came. I called again and informed again about the noise. The manager at the front desk told me he trusts me - but he couldn't do anything about it. I asked if they'll let me go to another hotel and he agreed.

The only positive I can say about the St. Regis in SFO is that they brought us with their hotel car (free of charge) to the Ritz Carlton where we got a beautiful room with Club Lounge access (fatastic!!!) at just US$ 30++ more.

Conclusion:
a) don't accept a top-floor room
b) don't stay at the St. Regis if you expect a 5* experience - because 5* means more than a nice lobby and room
c) if you can spend 10% more go to e.g. the Ritz-Carlton and get a Club Floor room with all the benefits

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HONkiev
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2010

If you're on expense account, then you can stay here. Otherwise, it's over the top for its price/value ratio. I'd rather stay at the Ritz for the same service and much better value. Plus, the immediate neighborhood is a little seedy. The Bentley for local transport is nice, when it's available. Overall, great accommodations, but just exorbitantly expensive.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple