“Great food...service and ambience at Sauce!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sauce

Sauce
Reserve with OpenTable
Sauce is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #508 of 5,644 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$30 - US$40
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Hayes Valley
Cross street: Oak and Page
Transit: BART: Civic Center station; Muni Metro: Van Ness; Muni Market Street Trolley 'F' Line: Gough St.; Muni Bus Stop: 6,7,66,71
Description: At Sauce: Gough we serve what we like to call "Social Cuisine" - American comfort fare so good you'll want everyone at the table to try a bite. It's shared food without the tiny plates. Come sample Chef Ben's creations along with some drinks in the intimate Supper Club; cozy up to the beautiful redwood bar for a signature cocktail; or, enjoy a meal in the bustling main dining room. Experience what happens when Comfort Food meets California Cuisine — it could be our Tomato Bisque with white truffle grilled cheese sticks; Portobello mushroom fries; or our signature applewood-smoked-bacon wrapped meatloaf, something is sure to tickle your fancy. Located just a few blocks from the civic center in Hayes Valley, Sauce: Gough is the welcoming result of three partners' desire to create a comfortable spot for drinking and dining. Pre-Show, post-show and for all your private events Sauce is the place. Stop by for dinner any night between 5pm and Midnight and see for yourself; what’s cooking
Oakland, California
“Great food...service and ambience at Sauce!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

We had a wonderful dinner at a great neighbor restaurant. The Portobello fries were delicious. So was Mac and Cheese and the New England Chowder. We were too full to try the desserts! I really liked the atmosphere and the neighborhood setting.

• Visited April 2014

Oakland, California
“Lovely and delicious ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

We can here after an event at the nearby SF Conservatory. It is so nice to be in a place that is quiet enough to have a conversation! The portobello fries are fantastic , as was the Brussels Prost salad. The porch chop was utterly delicious, moist and a delicious sauce. Try the Sauce sampler for dessert (for 4) the fresh mini-doughnuts and PBJ cake were wonderful!

Louisiana
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

Try the cronuts ! The dinner was delish - I had the crab salad....I could have ate two of them. The ginger cosmos were a great after dinner drink

• Visited March 2014
San Francisco, California
“Southern influence, just okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

I think I have officially become a food snob. But when you live in a foodie city and pay these prices, I feel it is justified. The restaurant is loud...cannot hear across the table. The food is good (except the mashed potatoes, a disappointment). Lots of bacon, very rich, cooked to perfect temps. I just wasn't blown away by anything. It was very standard, nothing creative. The negroni was good, but my friend said her Cosmo was on the sweet side. Wines by the glass were below average. The beer taps were not working. We were too full to try dessert. Service was friendly.

Visited March 2014
Florida
“Hayes Valley comfort food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Sauce is somewhat retro, but in a good way. I often order the iceberg wedge with bacon, blue cheese and red onion, which I did this time too.. It seemed a bit heavy on the onions, but is an attractive flower-shaped presentation and still good. For my main course I ordered the crab cakes which were excellent and came on a small underpinning of cole slaw.My husband began with the Brussels sprouts salad which he loves and also had the crab cakes. We chatted with the couple at the next table, and this being San Francisco, they shared some of their bacon tater tots with us. Sinfully good! And we indulged in the smashed ice cream dessert.
This is a great before theater restaurant.

Visited March 2014