“Great experience - clean, quiet, friendly”

Orchard Garden Hotel
Ranked #20 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Ashford, United Kingdom
“Great experience - clean, quiet, friendly”
Reviewed 5 May 2012

My wife and I spent lots of time searching for hotels in San Francisco - we were travelling to the city for our 10th wedding anniversay, so we wanted something special. We were really worried by some of the reviews of other hotels (too noisy, poor location, bad smells, poor service, etc.). By chance, we happened upon a review of the Orchard Garden Hotel. It looked good via the website and our initial contact with staff on the booking line was positive. So we took a chance. It helped that the hotel promoted its eco-credentials.

When we got there, we were really pleased with our choice. Just steps away from the China Town gate, a few minutes from Union Square and about 10 minutes walk from the nearest BART station - so plenty of bustle if we wanted. However, the road the hotel is on is a relatively quiet one and this is helped by really good double-glazing (as you might expect from an eco-hotel). To be fair, we were staying on the 9th floor. But the room ventilation was quiet and there were no other noises to disturb our sleep - beds are really comfortable, too.

The rooms are very nice with a good, clean and light decor. Nicely appointed, too. We ate in the restaurant the first night - the food is very good but, as you might expect from a hotel in SF, quite expensive. We knew it would be and it didn't detract from the experience. We ate breakfast at one of the many cafes in the area - once again, this hotel is in a good location.

The staff are friendly and genuinely welcoming with good local knowledge. There is even a little room with a couple of PCs and a printer for Internet access.

In conclusion, we are really happy with our choice of hotel and will defintely make this our hotel of choice for our next trip to SF. I thoroughly recommend the Orchard Garden.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Daniel H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Hungarian first
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I was 100% satisfied with a recent five night stay at the Orchard Garden Hotel in San Francisco. Located near the shops of Union Square and entranceway to Chinatown, the Orchard Garden was a clean, friendly, environmentally-based place to stay! It's the kind of hotel that will impress you. Spacious rooms, luxuriously comfortable beds (that get turned down for you at night), a great bathroom, mints on the nightstand at night...I will never book anywhere else when I'm in San Francisco now that I have found this great hotel.

Date of stay: March 2012

Room Tip: I had a super quiet room...heard not a PEEP of street noise. Didn't rate the pool/spa in list a...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MMartin_12
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
I’m excited to hear how satisfying your stay was with us. The entire team, from housekeeping to front desk, strives to exceed expectations. We truly appreciate your loyalty and look forward to your next visit.

Everywhere
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I have been to San Francisco many times, but never stayed in this area of town. It is very convenient to Union Square and the Financial District, assuming you are lucky to get nice weather. It isn't 5 star luxury pampering/spa, but it is clean, comfortable and conveniently located to many attractions. We also walked through Chinatown, and if that is an area you will be spending a lot of time in, definitely stay in this hotel. The hotel staff was beyond friendly and helpful. They run a very disciplined process from check in, movie rental, maid service, valet and check out. The rooftop deck was an added bonus and the only thing better would have been a pool for the kids. My only complaint was the valet service took 30 minutes each time we asked for the car. They informed me of this when I checked in, but I forgot every time and when we wanted to get out and go, we had to wait.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor and it was just fine.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JMWorldTour
It’s gratifying to hear that you took a chance on us and ended up having a pleasant time. Our location is convenient and I’m glad you took advantage of the nearby sights. I agree, a pool would be a fun bonus but hopefully you were able to enjoy a beverage or snack on the roof top terrace. Thank you so much staying with us and we look forward to seeing you and your family again soon.

Warmest regards

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 April 2012

This "green" hotel in the heart of San Francisco is located in the Union Square area, next to the China Gate. This made it extremely convenient for getting around. It is close to many restaurants and shops. Day tour buses stopped less than a block away.

The staff was quite friendly and helpful, and the rooms were comfortable and attractive.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review about your recent stay with us. I agree that our location is very convenient and it sounds like you were able to take advantage of all the things to do in the area. I'm very glad you enjoy the decor as well as the staff. We hope to see you again the next time you visit San Francisco.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I stay at this hotel everytime I visit SF on business travel. The location is great, with lots of restaurants and things to do around it. I really like that it is a green hotel, and tries to be as environmentally friendly as possible. I would highly recommend the hotel for your stay whether business or personal.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Hello Jen

We're constantly thinking of ways to be greener so it's nice when someone notices our efforts. We appreciate your loyalty and we'll be planting a tree since you took the time to write a review. Hope to see you again soon.

New York
Reviewed 29 April 2012

This was my first business trip to the area. I found the hotel to be in a perfect location. Upon arrival the front desk staff was very helpful and extremely friendly. By the end of the day, they knew my name. The room was very clean and ample. The beds were very comfortable. I ordered room service the first night and the food was delicious. Fresh and came within 20 minutes of placing the order. The entire hotel staff was very friendly. I made the reservations through Orbitz and got a fantastic deal with airfare included. I would return to this hotel again. The proximity to Union Square, great restaurants and shopping was perfect.

Room Tip: My room was on the 2nd floor and faced a loading zone. Not the best view, but very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Diamonddarcy
I'm thrilled to hear the you enjoyed your stay as well as the staff. I agree, everyone here is extremely friendly. I feel pretty lucky to work with such a fun and enthusiastic team. Hopefully we become your home away from home when ever you visit San Francisco whether it's for business or pleasure.

Redondo Beach
Reviewed 27 April 2012

A green hotel serving locally grown organic food within walking distance of Union Square, the theater district and BART. An exceptional staff is most responsive and provides small kindnesses that make being away from home less difficult. This hotel or its sister the Orchard Hotel at 665 Bush are my choice whenever I return to S.F. As a single woman with challenging mobility issues, I feel safe and supported day and night throughout my stay. I was a guest on Earth Day and the martini served at the reception was the best ever. If you enjoy a martini ask server and bartender Lauren to make you her Earth Day martini. This being an extended stay I saved the recommended short ribs with polenta until my last night. A glass of house Parducci red wine with this meal was fabulous. Enjoy.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo