“Excellent hotel in a great location”

Orchard Garden Hotel
Ranked #22 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Stayed here at the end of September for 8 nights. All hotel staff were welcoming and friendly throughout our stay. Hotel was well kept and cleanliness was of a high standard. Location is downtown and is very central for all sights which were all within easy walking distance. A nice addition is the roof top terrace where we sat one evening and enjoyed a bottle of wine in the moonlight.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Thank you for the stellar review, I am thrilled you had such an enjoyable stay and even took advantage of the rooftop terrace. It sounded like a very romantic evening. It is surprising to me how quiet it can be on the terrace even with hustle and bustle of downtown just 10 stories down. I am equally pleased to read the hotel met your standards; we strive to provide a faultless product. The front office team is knowledgeable and enthusiastic, while our housekeepers and maintenance work thoroughly and diligently to ensure rooms are tidy and everything in working order. We hope you visit us again soon for another special night with a bottle of wine.
Cheers

Reviewed 16 October 2013

This hotel was a 10 minute walking distance from the central train station having come into the city from the airport. China town was next door. Staff were friendly & the hotel was quiet & well equipped. Room was spacious & clean & more than adequate for a few nights. Good restaurant across the road for breakfast which had people queuing for most of the day.

Room Tip: If you have a choice choose a room a few floors up but we had no problem with noise. great hotel fo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the brilliant review. We appreciate your kind feedback and we are thrilled that you had an enjoyable visit. All of us truly take pleasure enhancing guest experience with our knowledge of the city, getting people pointed in the right direction for sightseeing, good food and memories. We hope to see you again soon.

All the best

Reviewed 15 October 2013

My room had bloody sheets on the bed! Housekeeping didn't change the sheets from the last guest, or put bloody sheets on the bed, or over a bloody mattress pad that soaked up. The front desk people refused accountability, no apologies, no reimbursement, nothing from guest services although I've contacted them three times and sent a photograph of the spot with their hotel pen in the photo. They put me at risk to contract hepatitis or even HIV aides. Here's what happened:
On a recent business trip I stayed here for two nights. The room was expensive and seemed clean. First night I slept on left side of the bed. In such a "green" hotel, and many average hotels, linens are not changed every night but rather every 3 days. on the second night as I was pulling back the covers to sleep on the right side of the bed I saw to my utter horror, a 4-5 inch blood stain on the bottom sheet, and a matching 2-3 inch stain on the top sheet. THEY MATCHED IN LOCATION which indicated that it was soiled in that very spot with those very 2 sheets! Either the last guest oozed bodily fluid on the sheets and maids never changed them, or the maid took a nap and bled on the sheets, or the maid put clean sheets down over a bloody mattress pad. To add insult to injury the front desk staff only gave me an email address to complain to, never apologized or acknowledged that at $400+ a night room should be sanitary. Utterly disgusted in the standards of cleanliness and sheer lack of compassion and kindness dealing with my registering of the complaint.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Cristina O
Quinn M, General Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

My name is Juan Bueno, and I am the General Manager of the Orchard Garden Hotel where you stayed in last week. I have responded personally to you on Monday 10/14, but have not heard from you. I was made aware of your concerns on the date of your departure, and I had a meeting with our Director of Housekeeping and our Front Office Manager to discuss your findings. We all take guest satisfaction very seriously. In addition, the health and well being of our guests and staff members are always top of mind to every manager on my team.

We went into your vacated room and discussed the possibilities. I can assure you that sheets are changed after each and every guest checks out. This is standard procedure and I have complete confidence that our staff changed the sheets. I know that the room attendants take great pride in their work and not changing sheets is absolutely not in their nature, so we ruled that out. We had the sheets examined and it was determined that the stain was from a beverage of some sort, and not blood as you suspected. So you can feel more at ease that you were not exposed to any type of blood borne pathogens. We tried to replicate the stain and found that either coffee or soda left similar stains on the sheets we tested. We spoke with the room attendant who cleaned your room and she stated that she did not see any stains, and if she had seen a stain, she would have changed the sheets and not left it in that condition. As you can see from the many other guests who write reviews, cleanliness is always mentioned in a positive light at our hotel, so that is why we are very surprised that you encountered this situation. Offering guests the options of changing their sheets is common practice in the industry with many hotels branded or independent.

I spoke with the Front Desk Agent who was on duty when you departed, and stressed to him how you felt and that he should always empathize with the guests and put himself in their shoes. I apologize for his lack of concern and will work with him to make sure he is better in this aspect going forward. I am sorry that the findings of our investigation are not what you expected, but we are not sure exactly how the stains got there.

I have managed several hotels in my career and can tell you that our housekeeping staff does an excellent job at this hotel and is one of our hardest working departments. I know you referenced Tripadvisor and other sites in your e-mail, and if you go there and read what our guests tell us, you will see that cleanliness is one of the most mentioned items in our reviews. Having a clean well maintained hotel is very important to me, and so I am very concerned about what you experienced.

If you did not receive my e-mail which had further information and a possible rememdy, please let me know and I will gladly resend it to you or call you over the phone at a time when it is convenient for you.

I look forward to speaking with you and resolving how the beverage stain made it onto your bed.

Sincerely
Juan Bueno

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Stayed at the Orchard Garden Hotel for three nights with our little daughter. Excelent located, very nice and safe area. Staff is very helpful. We had a double with enough space for the three of us. 5th Floor to the back. Very comfy beds - never had such a quiet night in a city of that size. The hotel might be pricey. But we got a reasonable rate and it was worth every penny. Wifi was ok for skype. Anything negativ? the design might appear to be a bit dull - but if that's all? I fully recommend the Orchard Garden!

Room Tip: the roof garden is nice. rooms to the back very quiet, can't tell about those to the street. Lot...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for kind review and for choosing to stay with us for your family getaway. I am pleased to read the three of you had quiet nights rest. Despite our central location, we are far enough of the beaten path for peace and quiet. All of us here look forward to your next trip to San Francisco, hopefully sooner than later.

Kind regards

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Perfect spot to stay.....clean, quiet, and comfortable. It is within walking distance to excellent restaurants, cafés, and drugstores. The room air quality is excellent; this is important for me because I have asthma. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Quinn M, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Thank you for the top notch review. San Francisco is well known for its restaurants, with more than 3,500 to choose from. They are difficult to keep up with, especially since so many are on wheels now. The food truck industry has really taken off with reasonably priced treats.
I am so happy you found a hotel with air quality that meets your requirements. I know all about asthma and the importance of healthy deep breaths. We look forward to any and all of your future visits.
Thanks again,

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Excellent location, right next to the Chinatown Gate, close to Union Square, great shopping, and public transportation. I recently spent 3 nights there, and had a flawless experience. The bedding was super comfy and the dual pane windows kept the noise out. As a female traveling alone, I felt very safe and comfortable. The location feels like more of a neighborhood. Staff was friendly and helpful, particularly the bellman, Art. He helped arrange my transportation to SFO. I would definitely recommend this property. It represents a good value,and I will likely stay there again on future visits.

Room Tip: i stayed in a room on the 8th floor, not facing the street. It provided a very peaceful night's...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank lizzyb726

Thank you for the marvelous review, I am thrilled you had a “flawless” experience. Our concierge Art has been with us since the Orchard Garden Hotel opened its doors in 2006 and as a San Francisco native, he is full of information. Traveling alone can be very intimidating, I am happy you felt safe and comfortable to adventure the neighborhood and other parts of the city. We truly appreciate your patronage and can not wait till your next visit.
Best

Reviewed 10 October 2013

Hotel was very clean, staff was friendly, and atmosphere was nice. I thought it was neat the efforts they make to make this hotel environmentally friendly. We stayed on the 6th floor and never heard any street noise.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the kind review and for commending us on our efforts as an eco-conscious property. It is important to us to provide quality service in a manner that ensures the longevity of this wonderful planet we inhabit. The double panned windows not only restrict the noise pollution, but keeps the warmth of the daytime sun in. An attempt to reduce the use of the heater. That is just one of the many fun tid-bits about our hotel. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Regards