“Great Central Hotel”

Ranked #21 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Modern clean, green hotel with great central location.
Didn't get opportunity to use all facilities but the Roots resteraunt was good for the odd breakfast. Concierge service very helpful with good local knowledge.
All the tour bus companies use the opposite corner as a hop on and off point so great for getting around.
China Town just around the corner and 10 minute walk to union square. Pier 39 a little further up to an hour stroll, but plenty of public transport links if you're in a hurry.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dyavid
Bruce P, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Dyavid,

Thank you for taking the time to write about our beautiful property here in San Francisco. We are glad you enjoyed our Green Hotel and our breakfast served to you by our restaurant Roots. We get many compliments on our hotel and our restaurant’s breakfast and are glad you enjoyed your whole experience with our hotel.

We are also happy to read you found our hotel’s concierge services very helpful and I will be sure to share your comments with our entire team. Our team loves to make each guest experience special and unique.

Thanks again for your comments and we know that we will see you again when you are back in the Bay Area.

There are newer reviews for Orchard Garden Hotel

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I had never been to San Francisco and was so impressed by the helpfulness of the staff in figuring out the best ways to maneuver the cable car and bus systems with our muni passes. It is very well located within walking distance of everything. The room was always immaculate, loved the turn down service, and the beds, pillows, and sheets were very comfortable. I slept soundly all 5 nights that we were there. Even though there appeared to be many guests staying there, the halls were very quiet. I attribute this to the unique layout of room locations. Price was excellent. Next trip, I'm definitely choosing The Orchard for lodging.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Bruce P, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Laura J,

On behalf of the entire team at the Orchard Garden Hotel we are pleased to read that your stay was wonderful!

Thank you for sharing your kind words with Trip Advisor. Our team works diligently around the clock to make sure each of our guests have a stay as perfect as yours. Your comments will be shared with our entire team to ensure they receive your positive feedback.

Lastly, thank you again and we also agree that our hotel is “The Perfect Place to Stay in SF”.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

The hotel is in a great downtown location...if you are willing to walk (20-30 min) you can get anywhere (we suggest renting bikes!). We walked to AT&T Park for a game, Fisherman's Wharf, Union Square, Pier 39, and to several great places to eat nearby. Service was excellent. Rooms are a bit small, but that's expected in San Francisco. The price was ok...I would have to visit other hotels in the area to get a better idea...so no real comment there.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jeremy W,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with Trip Advisor. I have to agree with you and that our hotel is in a wonderful location to get nearly anywhere in the city by walking or biking!

We are pleased to read that you have found our hotel provided excellent service. As a whole our team strives for excellence and to exceed our guest expectations.

On behalf of the whole team at Orchard Garden Hotel we really appreciate your remarks.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Location, staff, and rooms were great. I did a lot of research to find the perfect hotel and the Orchard Garden fit the bill in every way.

We drove passed the Orchard Garden and ended up 2 blocks away at the sister hotel with a similar name. An employee there gave us great directions to return up to the correct hotel.

We arrived very early and we were fortunately provided a room. The rooms were large (from a city perspective), were nicely appointed, lovely comfortable bedding and a safe & coffee service. The location is amazing being close to everything and transit was a bonus, In San Francisco be prepared to 1) walk up hills, 2) dress warm and 3) pay $42 a night for hotel parking (not unusual).

The front staff is very helpful and professional. - every one of them. Grave at the front reception was able to secure us a seat at a nearby restaurant on July 4th. Happy Hour at the Orchard was affordable with cocktails and free applies. Meals we didn't try only because there ate so many cheaper options in the area.

No complaints, only fond memories.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hosta_La_Vista
Collins C, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Thank you for the great words on our staff, I will make it a point to share your feedback with the team here especially to Grace. We are glad you also felt the room well-appointed and have lived up to your expectations. As you mentioned, our location is just amazing with easy access to most of the main attractions. We are so pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the nearest future.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Didn't stay here because my meeting was postponed a week but they charged me for 1 night's stay anyway--$440--because I cancelled 20 hours ahead rather than 24 which is their "policy." Did they rent the room anyway? Would a reputable hotel do this? Shouldn't the 1 night's stay cancellation fee have been waived? They refused to be reasonable. Avoid this place.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 699Traveler

Dear 699 Traveler,

After reading your comment on Trip Advisor I did want to take time to reply to your questions and concerns. Most reputable hotels have a cancellation policy that they adhere to in which case you are correct in stating that our cancellation policy is 24 hours prior to arrival. Orchard Garden Hotel is pleased to offer this cancellation policy as other hotels have a 72 hour cancellation policy.

Please feel free to contact me at your convenience to discuss using your cancellation fee toward a future deposit during your next visit at our beautiful hotel. You may contact me directly at 415-399-9807.

Thank you for your comment and I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed at the Orchard Garden for 5 days last week. It is a great hotel!! I arrived early around 11am but they had a room available for no additional charge even though check-in was at 3pm. Be aware that they do put a $350 hold (pending charge) on your card for "incidentals". But I was not charged and the charge went away after I left.

It is in a great location. It was only about 3 blocks from Union Square (best shopping ever!). And there were no big hills. It is also right next to Chinatown. The room was small (king interior room) but it had everything you needed except a free refrigerator. The bathroom was large. I wish there was stronger water pressure in the shower. There was a shower cap, soap lotion, shampoo, conditioner, and body wash provided. The bed was very comfortable. The hotel and room was very very very clean and quiet. I was in room 203 and it wasn't noisy at all. Every time I returned to the hotel I was greeted with a smile and welcomed back and when the doors closed behind me it was zen. I was disappointed that the restaurant wasn't open. The air conditioning in the hotel was great. It is an eco-friendly hotel which I love. There are notes that encourage recycling and reusing towels and sheets but there were no issues with getting what I needed.

One day I slept in a little late and didn't leave out until noon. I had a do not disturb on my door but I still received a call from housekeeping asking if I wanted the room cleaned. I really appreciate they were trying to do their job but I thought do not disturb means do not disturb. I felt like I had to get out or my room would not be cleaned. But if I needed anything it was brought to me within minutes of me calling. One day the housekeeping staff was getting off early to be with their families. Its nice they care about their staff. We received a nice note the day before and we were told the hours they would be available. Even though there were limited hours, anything I needed was still brought to me promptly.

Also there was a fire alarm around 7 am one morning and of course no one looked happy but things happen and I was happy nothing was wrong (I think a smoke detector went off in the kitchen?) and everyone got out safely and quickly. And we got back in quickly.
Overall I would definitely stay here again when I am in San Francisco. I was torn between Orchard Garden, their sister hotel The Orchard and the Argonaut at the wharf. But I am glad I chose the Garden because I received excellent customer service. It was a clean hotel in a quiet location with no hills and it was close to everything.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Shiloup

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay with us. While we are happy to hear that you have liked our well-appointed guest room; and that you found it very clean and quiet. We are also glad that you liked the hotel location and are pleased with the arrival experience. Thank you for the comments about the housekeeping service. We assured you that they have been addressed to the concerned department for their attentions and improvement. We value guest’s feedback, they allow us to improve our service to not only meet but exceed our guests’ expectations. Please accept our sincere apology for the inconveniences caused from the fire alarm. We are indeed so released that it turned out to be a false alarm only. One of our main goals here is to ensure the safety for all of our guests. We really appreciate your understanding on this matter, and is delighted to hear that you will definitely come back to stay with us again. Once again, we value your patronage and comments. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Rated this a four only because there wasn't much to do at the hotel itself. Restaurant was only open for breakfast and a bit pricey. Otherwise, a fabulous experience. Beds were great and comfortable. Front desk was extremely helpful regardless of who you spoke to. Tina was excellent recommending a number of different spots around town. Artie was a great concierge also with fantastic recommendations and a great way to get sports news in the morning. Went out of his way to arrange a car to the airport for my wife and I and friends who were staying here.
Hotel location was great with short walks to many points of interest. No car required.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John D
Collins C, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for the review on our property, specifically our staff. We must admit, we are extremely lucky to have a team of employee’s that sincerely care about our guests and their experience. The entire team works together with one goal in mind; OUR GUEST. We assure you to share your positive feedback with the staffs here especially to Tina and Art. Thanks again for taking the time to do this. We hope to see you again in the nearest future.