“Convenient, clean location”

Ranked #25 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Check In began badly when staff informed us that the hotel was overbooked therefore the management had taken the liberty of changing our reserved accommodations without our knowledge or consent. After some discussion the hotel was able to provide similar accommodations and did refund us our money as we had booked two superior rooms and were given only one superior room. The hotel and rooms were clean and of average size but the walls were paper thin and unfortunately the guests in the room next to ours were exceptionally loud and as a double whammy the street noise was equally as loud. The bed was comfortable and my kids said that their beds were also quite comfortable. The location is great, very close to Union Square and the Financial district and a short walk to the Montgomery Street station. Overall, it was nice but not great.

Room Tip: Choose an interior room. The rooms on the street are incredibly noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Bruce P, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Maw12345,

Thank you for writing a comment of TripAdvisor. I agree that our hotel is in a convenient location and our guest rooms are very clean.

I do apologize that your check-in to our hotel did not go as planned, but it seems that we were able to rectify the bump in the road. Overall you seemed to enjoy your stay and accommodations at the Orchard Garden Hotel. I am also pleased to read that you found our rooms clean and the beds comfortable.

Like many hotels in large cities it is hard to sound proof the guest rooms from the street noise. As you mentioned one way to avoid street noise is to request an interior room or a room that is not facing the street directly.

Thank you for staying at the Orchard Hotel and we hope to see you again in the near future if you are ever back in San Francisco.

Orchard Garden Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,543)

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This "green" and conveniently located is within walking distance of most everything, including the Embarcadaro, the Orchard Garden staff is so accommodating, the rooms well-appointed, comfortable, and efficiently arranged, and the ambience is soothing. Right next to Chinatown Gate, this hotel will be my pick the next time I travel to the city by the bay.

Room Tip: Several family members stayed at this hotel for my son and daughter-in-laws wedding, and we all agre...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Debra C

Dear Debra C,

Thank you for such a wonderful compliment on the Orchard Garden Hotel. I am really pleased to see you and your family had such a wonderful time and enjoyed our accommodations and location here in the city.

We will be waiting for your arrival back to the Orchard Garden Hotel in the near future.

Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Tucked away next to the China Town Gate is a beautiful small Hotel. Orchard Garden Hotel is small in size but big in atmosphere. From the pleasant staff to the spacious room we were very happy with our week long stay in San Francisco. On the main floor is located a restaurant that proved to be good value and good food. If you are looking for a quiet hotel that gives great service this is the place to stay.

1  Thank Brian L

Dear Brian L,

Thank you for your kind words on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that you found our hotel to be a “Gem” I also believe it to be true.

I could not have written a better review of our hotel, call me bias but I agree with every word you wrote. I will share your positive review with our entire team.

We hope to see you again at the Orchard Garden Hotel next time you are in San Francisco.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

The hotel is tired and the rooms all a sickly beige colour. We weren't welcomed at reception nor asked how our stay was at check out. There is a difference between efficiency and customer service. It was the bell boy showing people what to do and answering questions which I would have expected reception staff to. Instead of a eel one we were just asked immediately for passport and credit card and that was it. Not a great first impression.

Location is great as it is just outside china town and an short walk to union square. There is a Starbucks across the street should you want breakfast on the go.

In respect of the rooms, the bed is comfortable. The showers are completely inadequate and have no power at all meaning it takes half an hour to wash shampoo out of your hair. Mini bar was full of rusty water and bed sheets had stains on them. Our room overlooked an aircon machine which wasn't too much of an issue as we weren't there much. Overall we found it expensive for what it was and have stayed in much better 3,5 star hotels in the US.

The only reason to stay here is for its location and if you specifically want to stay in an Eco hotel

1  Thank wiffy0

Dear Wiffy0,

I appreciate the time you took to write a review on TripAdisor and so I would like to say thanks.

Our entire team is here to assist you with any concierge services. Whether it is a front desk agent, bellman, or a manager anyone of our team members have knowledge to share. There are times where the front desk is interacting with other guest request so the bellmen are another resource to use to gather any information that might need.

You are absolutely correct about our location. I know that we get many compliments on our hotel’s location as its right next door to China Town, Union Square, and Market Street. Our building was built in 2006 from the ground up and is national known for being a Green Hotel. I am surprised you felt the Orchard Garden Hotel to be tired. Again our hotel is only 8 years old and in this city most would consider us a new property.

You mentioned that you had stained sheets in your guest room and that the mini bar was dated. We have many guest rave about the housekeeping’s attention to detail. I hate that we missed that. I wish you would have brought your findings to my attention during your stay. The mini bar in the guest rooms are attended to daily by our mini bar attendants that work 7 days a week.

I am please that you chose our hotel out of all the hotels in San Francisco. If you do return to San Francisco I would love for you to give us another chance. I know that we can make your stay next time with us almost perfect. Please call me directly at 415-365-0302 and I will make sure that you enjoy your accommodations at the Orchard Garden Hotel.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is a really nice hotel in a very convenient location. It is very clean and the staff are very helpful. Our standard room was cramped and our two large suitcases were in the way. The beds are comfortable, but the lighting in the room is problematic. There are no reading lights - just one sconce between the two beds that was too far away to be considered a reading light. There was a nice desk, but no lighting at all over or close to the desk. A lamp about 4 or 5 feet away on one end and even farther on the other. If you need to work in the room after sundown, that will be challenging.
The bathroom is relatively spacious with a big counter by the sink. Our biggest complaint is the low-flow shower. I think it actually used more water than a shower with a normal flow and good pressure, because it took forever to rinse out shampoo, conditioner, soap. Instead of my usual 4 minute shower, it took 10 or 15 minutes to feel totally clean. I also did not like the drain, which required manually adjusting the disk in the drain opening, which is kind of yucky to have to touch. Yes, you can use a tissue, but why have to do that at all? I had never seen a drain like that before. Having dispensers for shower gel, shampoo, and conditioner in the shower is a good way to save on plastic from the small containers, but the containers are opaque and we ran out of two of these. Apparently housekeeping also can't see when they are running empty and don't refill on a daily basis.
Do the math before you choose a package with breakfast. On two nights of our stay this would have cost us an extra $34, which was more than we spent on breakfast, and on two other nights of our stay, the package would have resulted in breakfast costing $101. I asked the hotel why they would present such an offer that is a hefty hidden cost to guests, but did not get a reply. I also had to email to ask for the advertised 15% discount. It did not show up in our confirmation. Speaking of the breakfast, it's OK. Nothing special, although convenient.

1  Thank XXNYC
Bruce P, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear XXNYC,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to read that overall you did enjoy your stay at Orchard Garden Hotel. We will take your suggestion s and feedback to offer a more enjoyable stay for our guests in the future.

We haven’t had a lot of feedback on the lighting in our guestroom s from other guest. I will state that our hotel is an environmental friendly (Green Hotel). Lighting, to recycling, to the amount of water that we use in the hotel helps us keep our standing as a Green Hotel. At any time that you may need additional lighting you may always request a lamp. I would be more than happy to provide a lamp to any guest as I know extra light is needed while working or reading in your guest room at times.

Packages at hotels in general aren’t design to save guest money. However, they are created to make a more convenient experience for the guest. Many times packages are designed by adding components to the base rate which in return makes the “package” rate higher. I do apologize in the confusion and often times guest do think packages are a “discount” . However it is the contrary they act as a more convenient was to travel for some guests.

If you have any other questions or concerns please contact me directly at the hotel. Thank you again for staying at the Orchard Garden Hotel and we would love for you to return.

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 8 nights on a business trip.
The stay was hassle free. The reception staff is great and very helpful.
I would recommended them for their location and the kind of no nonsense comfort they provide.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Bruce P, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Neerajv,

Thank you for your comment on Trip Advisor. I am happy to read you enjoyed your stay at our hotel during your business travels. Our location is perfect for all types of travelers as it is in walking distance to a lot of the great attractions in San Francisco.

Again thank you for staying at the Orchard Garden Hotel and we know we will see you on your future visit here in San Francisco.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I came into SanFran on business but came a day early. I found Orchard Garden on Trip after a long search for available and affordable hotels. Frankly, I travel pretty high end but didn't want to spend more than $400 on a room for myself on business travel. Orchard Gardens was perfect. Not cheap by any means but "value". The location was excellent - walking distance to Financial District (for meetings) and Union Square (where I spent a very lovely Sunday afternoon sipping wine and a great artichoke salad right on the square). Right next to Chinatown gates for some "culture". Living in NYC, I see most of this but very fun to be in SanFran. BTW - the beds were incredibly comfortable and duvets and pillows which made it hard to get up. The only suggestion I would make is to try to not book street view as it was a tad loud on Sunday night -BUT- not that bad. Also try Cafe Claude across the street for dinner (live jazz, great french food and wine and quite).

I will also add that David the server for breakfast is a pro and a real foodie. They didn't have any mustard for my morning hard boiled egg routine so he offered and hand ground this incredible Moroccan pink peppercorn which any foodie would appreciate. He even gave me a little sample pack to go home. To the management: having only one server for a full house breakfast (even though its buffet for a private group) is not fair to the server or the guests. A bit slow on Sunday morning.

Overall - really great staff from front desk to restaurant and it will definitely be my hotel of choice while on business (or pleasure - sans kids who may want something hipper) in SanFran.

Room Tip: non-street facing (I think?)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank NYC10024

Dear NYC10024,

I am happy to read that you were pleased with your stay at the Orchard Garden Hotel. I want to agree with you that our location is the perfect location. If you want to be near China Town, the Financial District, and Union Square. All of these attractions are in walking distance from the hotel. It is nice to know that you were able to dine at some of the local restaurants and enjoy the Jazz music and a nice glass of wine at Café Claude which is just across the street.

I wanted to touch on the breakfast and your service. We are pleased to have David on our team and I am glad he was able to suggest another option to go along with your breakfast. I want to share that we are in the process of bringing on more servers to our team to making our guests dining experience more enjoyable. When you come back next you should definitely see a change in the efficiency of the breakfast service.

It seems everyone enjoys the restful night sleep they obtain when sleeping on our bedding. So thank you for mentioning our bedding in your review. As a whole I think our entire team is outstanding and I am glad that you enjoyed your accommodations.

We will be here when you return to San Francisco and we are excited to know that you will be a returning guest.