“Check your bill!”

Ranked #23 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Just returned home after 2 very pleasant nights at the Orchard Garden Hotel, and for some reason decided to take a closer look at my bill (I never normally pay any attention to this document...do you?). The total (1 room for 2 nights plus parking) came to $2,101.52....a little steep, don'tcha think?! It was the line item 'Food/Wtr/Jc' that caught my eye: $1,075.76! I only took one $3 bottle of water from the minibar! Needless to say, the hotel staff refused to make a drama out of a crisis, and took care to reverse the excess charges immediately: thanks Brian!

This experience won't put me off staying here again...but you might like to glance at the bill before you leave.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Peter F
Bruce P, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

Dear Pete,

Thank you for choosing the Orchard Garden Hotel. I am glad to know that you really enjoyed your stay at our beautiful property. I am also happy to read that you will be a returning guest in the future.

I want to apologize on behalf of our team. One thing I can relate to as a guest in hotels and working in the industry is how frustrating it is to receive a receipt that has the incorrect charge posted. I really appreciate your understanding and please note that I have discussed this mistake with my team so this does not happen in the future.

Orchard Garden Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,529)

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed for 4 nights Mon-Fri. We were on the 5th floor in a king room. Bed very comfortable and bathroom nice. Good to see a safe in the room but you can't use the bar fridge even to put your water bottles in!The view was nothing from our window but no noise problems.There is no guest laundry room which is disappointing when is one of your stops when your a travelling over a couple of weeks. Free Wi-fi was good.We went up to the roof top area for a drink late one day. The hotel offers breakfast down in the little restaurant which we went one morning. It was fine and staff very nice but my husband and I feel they could charge extra $ 15- $20 per night and provide free continental buffet breakfast and get a lot more people through. We ate across the road in the french cafe -which was lovely. We found the location great. I would like to mention the Concierge Alfonso he was absolutely fantastic, so helpful ,friendly and happy to answer any question-a real asset to the hotel! We were also allowed to check out at pm as our flight was that evening and then stored our bags until we went to the airport. I will be recommending this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kathy B
Bruce P, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear Kathy,

Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor. I am happy to read overall you enjoyed the service and our eco friendly hotel.

I know how important it is at times to need laundry done while you are on vacation. While we do not offer a guest self service laundry facility at the hotel we do offer laundry and dry cleaning services. These services are available to all guests at anytime.

I am glad that you found our hotel location great. We are only a short walk from Union Square and China Town and other attractions in the area.

Please note that we are grateful that you chose to stay at Orchard Garden Hotel and we will see you next time you are in San Francisco.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Great hotel. Nice staff. Convenient and yummy breakfast available in the lobby. I've stayed here twice and each time has been great. Love all the Eco features!!! Plus the Eco features don't make you feel like you are going without amenities...you don't need individual bottles of shampoo, a large bottle to share works just as good!!!

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank AnnetteTheGreat
Bruce P, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear Annette,

Thank you for your kind words on our hotel. As a repeat guest you know we strive for excellence at the Orchard Garden Hotel. I am glad to read you have no complaints. Like you many others have enjoyed our breakfast from Roots our hotel’s restaurant. Our restaurant team works hard to make sure our guest receive the service and quality of food one would expect while away from home and staying at the Orchard Garden Hotel.

I am pleased to read this is your second time at the Orchard Garden Hotel. I hope you will make our hotel your new home away from home.

We will see you next time you are back in San Francisco.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We chose this hotel because of it's green initiatives and LEED standing. It did not disappoint. All hotels should be held to these standards and ecologically friendly practices. It was a very central location with super comfy beds with staff that were friendly and helpful without being overwhelming. Alphonso (our doorman) was a delight and went out of his way to assist our family. We will stay at the Orchard Garden the next time we visit SF. Thank you for such an enjoyable stay. Others should take note that by writing a review for this hotel a tree will be planted in exchange for your efforts. Kudos!

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the hotel are quieter but will not have a view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 862trish

Dear Trish,

I am excited to read that you found our hotel “Outstanding!” Thank you for your kind words and we welcome you back to the Orchard Garden Hotel anytime you are in San Francisco. Please note that there are bins for recycling in all of our guestrooms.

I will share your compliments with Alphonso along with the rest of the team here at Orchard Garden Hotel. I know he would love to hear what a great impact he made during your stay.

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and we will see you next time you are in San Francisco.

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

It's a great hotel in an ideal location but the Queen double beds do not sleep two adults comfortably. They are too narrow. We had a room with two Queen doubles. Whilst my son slept well, my wife and I could not.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jeff M

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for staying at the Orchard Garden Hotel. I am please to read that you enjoyed the location of our hotel. I would like to clarify our beds are double full size beds and not double queen size beds. This may be the reason they seemed a little smaller. Overall, it seems you did enjoy our hotel.

The next time you are back in San Francisco please give us a call as we would love to accommodate your stay for your future visit.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

When we arrived at 11:45 pm the hotel clerk wasn't to friendly. It seem as we were bothering him to check in. We got our hotel thru a bid on priceline, so we didn't know what hotel we were going to get. Since we only booked it for 4 nights, priceline gave an option to extend our stay before or after our original booking.
We booked it for an extra night, so we had two reservation. The clerk seemed irritated that he had to combine the 2 reservations. There was two doors men that was very helpful. An older Filipino gentleman and a tall younger gentleman. Really helpful with directions. There was doorman who was bothered when we asked for directions, I had to let him know that we were guests of the hotel.
Overall the location is good. Close to union square, west field mall, the bus stops and cable cars. Will consider a different hotel for our next stay.

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear DV,

Thank you for staying at Orchard Garden Hotel. I really appreciate the time you took to write about our hotel. It is nice to know that you enjoyed the location and convenience of being near the transportation, shops, and attractions.

It saddens me read that your experience from check in to check out was far from perfect. You also found some of our team members not as friendly and welcoming as others. Please know that I will look into this and have this situation corrected. I would love to have you as a guest in our hotel again. When you visit San Francisco in the future please book directly with me. My direct number is 415-365-0302. I am sure we can turn the experience you had into the experience most of our valued guests have which is a wonderful Orchard Garden Hotel experience.

Thanks again for your review and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Was warmly greeted as I arrived by the front desk staff. My room was very nice, the hotel still has a "new" feel about it. Bed was not exactly plush, but was comfortable. My windows did not open, but the A/C unit seemed to work fine. As others have mentioned the Shower is pretty weak in pressure. I think the issue is the shower head -- most of the water kinda pours out of the center area, leaving about 40% that actually hits you from the outer spray. Adjusting the shower head didnt help matters. I have stayed in other "green" hotels that have had better shower heads.

Other than the shower head, hotel seems fine and is in a great location, moments from Union Square, but not in the 'thick' of it. One of my favorite takeouts is located a block away on Kearny - L&L Hawaiian BBQ

Room Tip: Some rooms located on Bush Street - which can be noisey - try asking for a quiet room if noise is an...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ExitRowPlz
Bruce P, Front Office Manager at Orchard Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear ExitRowPlz,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our lovely hotel on TripAdvisor. We are proud to have the team that we have here at the Orchard Garden Hotel. I find them to be one of the most pleasant teams I have worked with in this industry. I will share your kind words with the entire team.

As you mention Orchard Garden hotel has a “new feel” our hotel was built from the ground up in 2006. Making our property considerably new for the city of San Francisco, where one could find lots of historic buildings and hotels. At the Orchard Garden hotel we were fortunate to be able to plan and build the hotel to detail to have the modern atmosphere you experienced. From the exterior to the interior of the building each detail was made deliberately knowing we were being built as a green hotel as you mentioned in your review. I do apologize that the shower water pressure was not up to your expectation. However, we do take our guest feedback very seriously. We are here because of each and every one of our guests. Please consider our hotel again for your next visit to the Bay Area and thank you for choosing the Orchard Garden Hotel.