“Great stay at the Orchard Garden!”

Orchard Garden Hotel
Ranked #27 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great stay at the Orchard Garden!”
Reviewed 17 July 2010

Beautiful hotel in a great location. We stayed there only for one night and got a free upgrade to a terrace room, which was gorgeous. Staff was very nice, helpful and accommodating. We were able to use the business center to check in for our flight and print boarding passes. Although we didn't visit it, there is a roof top terrace. Wonderful hotel, reasonably priced - we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Hungarian first
Sarasota
Reviewed 5 July 2010

spent two nights in the junior suite (complimentary upgrade)......very, very quiet.....super clean , absolutely wonderful bed (like the Westin bed), huge shower with frameless door, giant porch with table and four chairs and two lounges.... view of city.......very friendly staff.....the scones are the best I've ever had....baked fresh on the premises....coffee is excellent (and I am fussy about coffee--most places have terrible coffee)....bart is very close, hotel is adjacent to chinatown, union square a short walk, ......this is the place to stay..and of course very green.....

1 Thank sailormd
Chatham, NJ
Reviewed 4 July 2010

Although only able to spend two nights here we were impressed by the
friendly and helpful staff, the large and comfortable room and also the location - quiet yet very central. We left with the feeling that any request
would have been handled professionally and attentively.

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2010

I have stayed at the Orchard Garden several times, both for business and leisure. It is a small modern and contemporary hotel (built just a few years ago) in an ideal location for central SF, right next to the China Town Gate and 5 minutes walk from Union Square shopping, the financial district and the cable car lines.
The rooms are clean, modern, nicely equipped and of a good size with very comfortable beds, and the hotel is very quiet with very pleasant and helpful staff. Don't expect a lot of facilities at this hotel, the location is the main attraction, but it does have a small but smart bar and restaurant, and a small business centre with a couple of PCs. Wi-fi is available in the rooms. It is also surrounded by excellent quality restaurants and bars. As a frequent visitor to SF, this is my preferred hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank greenw14
Reading, UK
Reviewed 23 June 2010

I am all for eco-friendly hotels and recycling etc, but when it directly relates to the room I find it a bit much. Our toilet didn't flush well or consistently, which I assume was due to water saving efforts on the hotel's behalf but which ruined our experience at the hotel.
We had a two double bed room which was relatively small compared to other rooms we stayed in. The location was excellent though and we could walk anywhere we needed to go.
I found the staff fairly unhelpful though an unfriendly which was not what I experienced in other American hotels.
The location of this hotel meant our stay was satisfactory but the toilet and staff meant a stay that could have been excellent was only average.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank JemmaReading
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 June 2010

I wish I had the opportunity to rate my experience at this hotel, but I never got the chance to even book my reservation.

I had done a lot of resarch on hotels for my upcoming visit to San Francisco in two months, and was very pleased to find the Orchard Garden Hotel. When I did more research, I discovered in the "specials" section of their website that they offer a discounted rate of $149 for a superior king room when you book three consecutive nights ("San Francisco Triple Play" special valid through 8/31). When I clicked on this special and attempted to book my stay, however, it only offered me the room at the regular rate of $213 a night, $64 more a night!

Assuming this was just an error with the website, I called the reservations desk. They couldn't explain why I couldn't book at that rate either so they transferred me directly to the hotel. The hotel staff politely explained that this rate has blackouts, and that I must have been trying to book during the blackout. The special didn't mention blackouts, and I pointed this out. The special is worded plainly and said that if space was available, the offer was valid through 8/31. No fine print, etc.- I was very careful to pay attention.

Long story short, they admitted that this is used to entice customers during times of low vacancy and that the rate is only available arbitrarily, i.e., there may only be one room available at this rate on a particular date.

I'm upset because it is extremely deceptive to say that a promotion is available until a certain date if space is available (which it was), and then not honor it. I asked if they would honor their special, but they said that they weren't willing to and that the higher, regular rate is the best they could do.

Bottom line is that they advertise specials to interest you, then try to charge way more. As a result, I'll go elsewhere...don't waste your time trying to use one of their specials or discounts. I'm very disappointed.

Stayed June 2010
10 Thank anjelika
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 14 June 2010

We were able to take advantage of a Spring special which made the hotel quite reasonable. It is a very nice boutique hotel that is small and convenient. It is very well located so getting places is very easy. The rooms are really nicely decorated and good size for being in the middle of the city.
Across the street is a great cafe- Cafe de la Presse which has excellent food. There is a parking garage a block away that is inexpensive as far as city parking goes.
If we go to SF again we will definitely stay here.