“Alcatraz outside, 5 star inside...which is all that matters”

Royal Pacific Motor Inn
Ranked #141 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I was scared to book this hotel because the price was so cheap and I was travelling to San Fran for the first time and was on my own and female. But I read all the positive reviews and the guy (Lee) I spoke to at front desk on the phone came across as very honest an trustworthy, so I booked. Well I was in an amazingly comfortable, clean and incredibly spacious room but I am not sure all rooms are like this one. The place looked like alcatraz until I opened the door. It resembled a five star hotel room. And the bed was incredibly comfortable. I was so impressed and to get what I got for the price - just amazing. Great location, not noisy at all (my room faced the courtyard) and contrary to other reports on here, there were glass louvre slats I could open in a secure way for fresh air ventilation. Will definitely stay here again when I return to San Francisco. Only criticism I have (so minor) is that I think they should provide paper/cardboard cups for coffee in the room instead of foam ones that are toxic.

Room Tip: I was in 503…I think. Looked towards courtyard. It was a corner suite
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank wishingwell_fc

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights with some friends on a trip to San Francisco. We normally stay at another hotel a mile away in a quieter area, but that hotel has drastically increased its prices, so we found the Royal Pacific. We paid $127/night, had free parking, free wifi, and it's within walking distance to everything we needed. The hotel is in Chinatown, a busy area with lots of stripper clubs, markets, bars, and restaurants. For such a busy area, it was surprisingly quiet at night even though we had a room facing the street. Lots of noise early mornings with I assume delivery trucks to the markets, but overall not bad. On the 4th floor there were good views. Although the area seemed a little sketchy, it was safe and very convenient.
The hotel is old, rooms could use updating, but it was comfortable and basic and a good price for the city. I would definitely stay here again for the convenience, price, and location of the hotel and the area in general.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank jackieca
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights whilst visiting San Francisco.

The outside of the hotel and reception area is definately in need of refurbishment and we were concerned when we arrived. However once in our room it was a different story.
The room looked to have been recently refurbished and was clean, comfortable and quite modern. The shower was very good and the bed large and comfortable.

We were at the front of the hotel and didn´t notice a high level of noise. The location is great for exploring the city though perhaps not the nicest of areas after dark. The free parking was a real bonus.

So overall a good location, affordable, clean rooms and free parking make this a good choice. But certainly not luxurious or anything special, though that is reflected in the price!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Steve-Spain
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

So when it come to hotels and vacations I like to spoil myself since I don't get to take a vacation very often. So when I was looking around for a place to stay in San Francisco I couldn't believe how expensive hotels were and a lot of them just didn't fit my budget. So I did some more research and I found this place. Was a little unsure about it but after reading the other reviews I decided I would take a chance.

This place was perfect. Location was good. Rooms were small but CLEAN! Parking is FREE. So I would totally stay here again and I will recommend it to anyone who is visiting.

So the only negative things I have to say is the TV was old and very grainy, but I didn't go to San Fran to watch TV so it wasn't a big deal. Also you can hear the street traffic pretty well but it's to be expected in any city.

Like I said I would totally stay here again!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AshleyThrashley
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This is the place to stay if you are looking for a great hotel in the Chinatown area. Check in was very quick and our room was very clean. An excellent value compared to other San Francisco hotels in the area, and you can not beat the free parking. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Close walking distance to many attractions with many restaurants all around. I highly recommend this hotel and will certainly stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Frank T
Reviewed 13 February 2014

This hotel is totally worn down. I was a little bit shocked when we arrived. I should have done some more background check on it upon booking. The most important thing was that we wanted parking space for our car. Check. The room itself was absolutely nothing special. Carpet in the outside hallway was fully stained and there was even a hole in it what could be dangerous.
Next time I'll find something else or just return the rental car since we didn't use it much anyway.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dimitry O
Reviewed 29 January 2014

While this place may not have upgraded room perks like a refrigerator or microwave, the room was clean, the location was in great walking distance to North Beach and Chinatown (both are literally around the corner) and not too far off from Union Square.

The price of the room included free onsite parking, which coupled with the location made this a no brainer for us. Being right on Broadway, you are going to hear some street noise - particularly if your room faces the road. Earplugs help resolve this, or a room in the back! We walked around the area at night and it felt reasonably safe. The room has a TV with some cable channels. The staff were nice. The elevator is a bit scary. The ice machine is on the first floor and costs a quarter. Coit Tower is in plain view of the upper level rooms. We had no shortage of food options and were easily able to find spots to grab a drink and be entertained right nearby. For all practical purposes, this place suited our visit to San Francisco just fine.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends