“A beautiful stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Parsonage Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Parsonage Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 71 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Basel, Switzerland
“A beautiful stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Our 4 nights at The Parsonage are unforgettable. It is an extremely beautiful old house and very well looked after by the hosts Joan and John. The Location is great for evenings out (Walking distance to the bustling Hayes Street and the Opera House) and there is a bus stop right in front of the house that gets you into town. The breakfast is delicious and varies every day & Joan and John take their time to chat with the guests and to recommend places to visit and good Restaurants. They are exceptionally friendly and open People and make you feel welcome in no time. The rooms are individual and furnished with great care. It's a delight to stay at the Parsonage. Definitely a place to come back to! Nick & Claire

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here back in September 2013 after our civil partnership in the UK so it was kind of our first step on the honeymoon. We were so pleased we stayed here.Joan and her husband were so welcoming. The room was stunning. The breakfasts were out of this world and pilar the dog also made it feel like a home from home. Their advice on where to go what to do where to eat made our San Francisco trip special. Even going to the extent of booking Tables for us. We can't wait to go back. The area was great for exploring too. Some excellent restaurants and transport links nearby.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Europe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

Everything is perfect about this B&B in the lovely Hayes Valley area of San Francisco. It is an old victorian house with 23 rooms, but only half a dozen are used by the guests. The owners, Joan and John, have figured out something to do with all the others.

There is a huge double parlor downstairs which all the guests are welcome to use. It is well stocked with books and magazines about San Francisco and California and there is a dish of chocolate candies for the guests as well.

The rooms are well furnished with furniture appropriate to an upscale B&B and the beds are quite comfy, all of which use special mattresses from a San Francisco company.

In addition to the rooms mentioned on The Parsonage's Website, there is also a two-bedroom apartment with a private entrance available downstairs. One bedroom has a queen-sized bed and the other has two twin beds. There is a full kitchen, complete with high-tech garbage can that opens by itself when you get too close to it. The living room is full of local art. Outside the apartment is a private patio.

Unlike most businesses, which will take anyone with a valid credit card number, Joan is actually quite picky about her guests. She wants interesting people. Breakfast is a communal affair around a big round table. John does the cooking (two courses--first something fruity, then a warm dish like waffles or eggs) and Joan hovers around making sure everyone is happy. The result of all this is that there is always lively conversation at breakfast, with people coming from all over the world. I have stayed there quite a few times and met people from all over America, Canada, Europe, Asia, and Down Under. Almost everyone has traveled a lot and has interesting stories to tell. Breakfast is often the high point of the day although coming back after a hard day of sightseeing is just like coming home to mom and pop.

It is not cheap, but San Francisco is one of the most expensive cities in the world and this is a super property in one of the city's best neighborhoods. There are dozens of restaurants within a 10-mnute walk, mostly on Hayes St. I have stayed in probably 100 B&Bs in the U.S., Canada, all over Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, and New Zealand, and this is definitely my favorite.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Globe_trotter_100
brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

The Parsonage is a little piece of intimacy in a big city, close to many of the attractions we wanted to see and do, but away from the hustle and bustle of downtown. Stepping out was peaceful and relaxed, but in walking distance to the centre of "the hood" of vibrant active Haight Ashbury.
The house is typical of the coloured wooden style found throughout the area, inside filled with charm and family history. The bedroom we had was very large and comfortable, our own bathroom clean and functional.
The host was friendly without being intrusive, and we felt very much at "home" there.
We stayed 3 nights.
Although there was no choice provided at breakfast, it was delicious and definitely home-made, much more like home than a big buffet style.
Usually B&B's are more reasonably priced than a hotel but I don't really think this one was. Being a weekend when we were in the city, perhaps the price could have been reduced. However, having said that, it was in the area where we wanted to be, and we were were very happy with the place.
We would definitely stay in here again next time we visit SF.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Bowling Green, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

This was my vacation of Firsts! I had never stayed in a B & B nor had I ever stayed 5 nights in a city without my husband. I over think everything and my first concern was how will I get my big suitcase up all those steps? As i was exiting my taxi John was coming out the door to help me. He showed me to my room on the 3rd floor via elevator. At first I was surprised I had 2 twin beds instead of a queen but after looking at the size of the room and how nice the bathroom was I was fine. I was handed a key ring with 2 keys - 1 for the room and 1 for the front door. Having a front door key made it feel so much more like a home. My daughter met me there and she is a new resident of San Francisco so we asked for a recommendation for lunch. They explained how to easily get to Zuni Cafe. We enjoyed a fresh pasta dish that was one of my best meals. John also mentioned he was making an old family recipe for waffles and my daughter was welcome to come to breakfast the next morning.
I am not a morning person but waking up smelling food cooking and coffee brewing (even on the 3rd floor) made me get up and get moving! It was so interesting chatting with others from Australia or Germany. The dining room table was set so beautifully and they were always quick to pour that 1st cup of coffee. I would not have had the same experience in a hotel. Traveling alone I did not want to feel lonely and staying here cured that. In the evenings there was always activity if I had to wait for a Uber car to pick me up I could always have a quick conversation with somebody. The best thing about The Parsonage is how good I slept! I felt safe, my bed was comfortable and I felt like I knew people in a big strange city.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank hitmom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights at The Parsonage. The owners were delightful, well informed and welcoming. Our room at the top of the stairs was roomy and though old fashioned it had all the comforts we needed. The location is convenient for the tramway into downtown and there are nearby coffee bars and shops. The area is historic and The Parsonage is very much part of that history both inside and out. Though we were too busy to make use of it , the elegant sitting room with its collection of books was at our disposal. Breakfast was a friendly affair, sitting around a table surrounded by fine china and eclectic objets with easy conversation with our hosts. The Parsonage was a wonderful place to be based while exploring SF.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Keswick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

The Parsonage is the home of Joan Hull and John Philips who clearly enjoy enormously running it as a B & B, and make their guests feel very welcome. The sense is of being personal guests in someone's home It is beautifully furnished with antiques which Joan and John have a great interest in collecting. We stayed three nights, and breakfast was different and absolutely delicious each morning. All the guests sit at one table for breakfast. The house is in a residential district away from the centre of the city The area has a great number of architecturally interesting houses, of which the Parsonage is one. We were among the people staying when the wedding took place in the parlor and endorse all that has previously been said. We too would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple