“Elegant, welcoming and immaculate!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Parsonage Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 71 San Francisco B&B and Inns
West Yorkshire, England
“Elegant, welcoming and immaculate!”
Reviewed 3 August 2009

I chose the Parsonage purely on trip advisor recommendations and was not disappointed. Joan and John, the owners, are extremely welcoming with incredible local knowledge. They are the perfect hosts- giving you your own space yet being helpful and warm.

The b&b itself is full of pretty, precious things! I usually opt for minimal, modern accommodation so was a little worried that the antiques you see in the pictures may be a little overwhelming. This was definitely not the case! Every single piece of furniture and decoration was in immaculate condition and it was very apparent careful though had gone into selecting each item in the Parsonage. The linens were of the highest quality and hand chosen toiletries were available in each room. There was a very tranquil air about the b&b with a beautiful sitting area crammed with useful books and guides. There is a resident Portuguese waterdog but he is not a fussy dog and is hardly ever seen.

The b&b is a short tram ride away from the man shopping areas of union square and the pier for Alcatraz and Fisherman's Wharfe. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance and the slightly out of town position meant we had no trouble with parking.

The highlight of my stay was the delicious homemade and considered breakfasts. There would be some fresh fruit and granola to start and this was always followed by a delicious, freshly prepared delight. The waffles and crispy bacon were my absolute favourite and it is obvious Joan and John take delight in seeing their guests content, with full bellies!

I would definitely recommend this b&b. It is a real gem and is recommended for people who want to enjoy San Francisco as well as enjoying their accommodation.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank I-work-too-hard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
San Antonio
Reviewed 30 June 2009

The Personage at the Parsonage

Is it John Phillips? Joan Hull?

I call it a tie. Unless it’s Pilar, the 8 year old black, curly-haired dog.

We had a wonderful stay in the last days of June. Unusually sunny and warm weather for San Francisco, we are told. We walked the Golden Gate Bridge, splashed in the surf at Crissy Beach, did SFMOMA, cable cars, Stout Books, and Ghirardelli Square in short sleeves and sandals, sweaters kept handy for sunset.

The location in the Mission district is easy for getting to and from San Francisco Airport. We were the first stop for the Airport Shuttle as we arrived and as we departed, the mid-morning taxi ride was under twenty minutes. Stations and stops for all modes of public transportation to other landmark areas are handy, from bus stops running both directions at the front door to Muni-underground and Bart stations just down the hill on Market Street.

Our room was the only one I saw, but if there’s a better one it must be a stunner. We had windows on three sides with views of the Civic Center dome and Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Assumption to the north, sunrise to the east, and neighborhood life on Laguna street to the west. Some of the other rooms have working fireplaces; ours had the metal French campaign bed for 7 year old Scout.

We’ve stayed in a lot of very nice B&Bs, many with very gracious hosts, but John and Joan will strike you as the least likely ever to fall to B&B host burnout. They genuinely enjoy the roles of hostess and host, cook and porter, travel guide, historian, story-teller. Over the course of John’s first gourmet breakfast (the man obviously LOVES to cook for guests) you can learn the history of your hosts, the house, the Haight, San Francisco near and far, and how to get wherever you want to go. Yet, before you know you’re missing conversation with fellow guests or each other, they’ve stepped back and given you that space.

It was a lucky day for us and for The Parsonage herself when John and Joan came upon her in the early 80s, for she must be one of the best-cared-for Victorians in San Francisco. She gets maintenance when needed and loving improvements that assure modern comfort as you forget that she’s approaching her sesquicentennial. As you come and go you move from the swirl of 21st century San Francisco to the calming embrace of the 19th century without the slightest jolt of dissonance.

Great eating, great sleeping, great access; can’t wait to go again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank ramblin-gamblin
south dakota
Reviewed 12 June 2009

This is a lovely low-key bed and breakfast, with great charm, quiet and comfort. Our hosts, John and Joan, could not have done anything more to make us feel welcome. From the delicious breakfasts to brandy and port night-caps, from the Victorian elegance of the rooms (with modern up-to-date bathrooms) to the gentle humor and helpfulness of our hosts, this b&b was one of the best my wife Carla and I have ever encountered. We look forward to returning to the Parsonage in years to come. Peter L. ll

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank champollion9
Nova Scotia
Reviewed 1 June 2009

My wife and I recently celebrated our 20th Anniversary in San Francisco, and feel we were fortunate to have found the Parsonage.

We were warmly welcomed and enjoyed all aspects of our stay.

A happy coincidence was discovering that the owners of the Parsonage share our anniversary date! (Though they have a "few" more years of experience!)

Our thanks to Janet, Joan and John for a wonderful stay.

Paul & Charlene

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 15 May 2009

I loved my stay at The Parsonage. I was there for 5 nights and slept better there than I do at home. The luxurious mattresses and plush comforters are wonderful. On top of being an elegant historical home in an accessible but quiet central location, hosts Joan and John are gracious and down-to-earth people, as well as true cosmopolites who'll steer you to anything in San Francisco you might have overlooked. Just one example of the wonderful breakfasts served in the graceful dining room: French roast coffee, juice, sourdough waffles with fresh strawberry topping and rashers of crispy bacon -- along with a New York Times. The rooms are elegantly furnished and there are extra special touches like huge soft towels and towel warmers. My stay was in the beautiful "Tetrazzini" room, with bay windows overlooking the trolleys. And I have to also mention Pilar, the friendly Portuguese Water Dog, who is a perfect temporary companion.

Needless to say, The Parsonage rates 5 stars from me; I can't wait to visit San Francisco and ask for "my old room back".

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 10 May 2009

I have been using the The Parsonage as my base of operations on almost yearly visits (twice a year when I am lucky!) to S.F. for well over 15 years. The accommodations are always stellar and the Innkeepers, John and Joan, gracious. Their love and knowledge of the city and the great care they have taken to provide a B&B experience that is always comfortable and welcoming are always on display. The Parsonage is centrally located and exudes the charm, allure and history of this great American city. I can't recommend it highly enough!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
san fran
Reviewed 17 April 2009

The Parsonage was recommended by a friend, and what a suggestion, indeed! My parents recently come to town for a visit and had the pleasure of staying at this amazing B&B. They were warming welcomed by owners Joan, John, and loving Pilar, their sweet pooch. I was so relieved that the accommodations were more than satisfying for them. Bonus points for me! They were upgraded to an incredible room with a newly renovated bathroom, claw foot tub and all. Crispy bacon, perfectly poached eggs, and freshly baked Tartine bread, won me over, as I was graciously invited to join my parents for breakfasts. I had no idea that I was passing such a "gem" on my daily bus ride downtown. Now as I turn the corner on Laguna & Haight, and see the birdcage tucked in the kitchen window of the Parsonage, I am reminiscent of my parents visits. I look forward to their return to San Fran, and their stay at the Parsonage!

Stayed April 2009