“wasn't worth the hype”

Cuisines: American
Neighbourhood: SoMa
Neighbourhood: SoMa
Reviewed 1 July 2012

saw this on food network, convinced my party of four to eat there & it did not live up to reviews. brioche cinnamon roll was hard, chickpea and olive sandwich was overwhelmed with too many olives, asparagus frittata sandwich was good except too much bread and not enough frittata. Bathroom sink trickled water and took forever to wash hands. The only plus was when mentioned that one person in my party had food allergies they immediately got out their book to tell us which breads had no eggs or milk.

Reviewed 4 March 2012

This is a chain from New York City. Nonetheless, it seems they put together a location with a SOMA feel to it. Hip and modern, yet comfortable. Somewhat unusual sandwich choices, try the meatloaf (!) sandwich, it's tasty. Also healthier offerings, the salads looked great- maybe next time. The service was also good, the employees I dealt with were very friendly and helpful. I will go back and try other things the next time I'm in SF.

Reviewed 17 January 2012

OK lets try the Tom Colicchio thing--can't be bad right? I guess not but mediocre for sure. First-no menuboard; just a smallprint menu. Not very fast for fast casual. Bland ciabatti, soupy tunafish, and way too much of one seasoning that you could still taste 6 hours later. Tries hard to be cute-trendy, though. But I thought from the TC Coke Commercial it's all about the taste. Guess not. Another case of a talented guy over commercialized.

Reviewed 8 January 2012

As a long-time fan of "Top Chef," I was really excited to try Tom Colicchio's fast-casual restaurant. Sadly, I came away with the impression that I could have walked one block in any direction and had a better lunch.

We should have suspected something when we noticed that the restaurant was mostly empty...an empty restaurant at noon in trendy SOMA on a sunny Saturday is definitely a red flag (and, in fact, when we left, we noticed that other eateries in the area were overflowing with customers).

As a vegetarian, I'm accustomed to not having a lot of choices on restaurant menus, but 'wichcraft's vegetarian selections are even sparser than most: basically, we had a choice of three sandwiches (two of which were PB&J and grilled cheese), one salad, and one soup. My husband and I decided to go for the most interesting-sounding sandwich choice: chopped chickpeas with roasted red peppers and arugula (rocket). We also got a bowl of the cheddar-potato soup to share. Our 19-year-old daughter, still a kid at heart, got the PB&J.

My husband and I both found our sandwiches to be extremely disappointing. For one thing, the bread was very dry, and was cut way too thick for the amount of filling on the sandwich. As someone accustomed to eating sandwiches on San Francisco's wonderfully assertive sourdough bread, we also found the bread a bit on the bland side.

The primary flavors detectable in the sandwich filling were salt and lemon. In fact, mine was so salty, I couldn't finish the sandwich (and I'm usually the person who ADDS salt to everything!). I really couldn't detect the roasted peppers or arugula unless I pulled them out and ate them alone, after sucking most of the salty/sour dressing off of them.

My husband also found the filling to be too oily for his tastes. It almost seemed that they were trying to compensate for not knowing how to deal with vegetarian ingredients by using a heavy hand with the oil and salt...very sad, when you consider just how flavorful these ingredients can be!

The soup was OK. It also had a slightly sour edge (I think it was made with sour cream), which I didn't mind, but my husband found off-putting. I also found it odd that, even though it was served in a meal-sized bowl (there was no option of just getting a cup of soup), it really wasn't a "meal" soup...there were no chunks of potato or other vegetables in it at all. I don't mind a bisque for an appetizer, but I'd have been terribly disappointed if I'd ordered the soup expecting to make a meal of it.

Our daughter did enjoy her PB&J. I had a taste of it, and again, the best I could say was "it's OK." As with our sandwiches, there was way more bread than the amount of filling called for (in fact, this sandwich had an extra slice of bread between the peanut butter and the jam...kind of like the third bun on a Big Mac!).

Another disappointment was the drinks selection. There are no fountain drinks at all. If you want a soft drink, you have to choose from a refrigerated case of juices, iced teas, and bottled waters (I ended up with a very overpriced bottle of Arrowhead sparkling water, which I could have gotten much more cheaply at a nearby Walgreen's). Looking at the counter, it would seem that wine was available, but there was no one staffing that part of the counter, and the menu didn't mention wine as an option.

In sum, in a city overflowing with outstanding restaurant choices, ranging from tiny ethnic "finds" to five-star cuisine, 'wichcraft is a real disappointment. If you're looking for a good sandwich in the city, you'd do better to go to one of the many Boudin's or La Boulanger locations. We won't be back.

Reviewed 14 December 2011

It is the type of place where you fall in line, you order and they deliver to your table. It is spacious with a second floor for those who want to be away from the crowd. That is where we went. The staff is nice and are patient with customers. If you sit on the first floor, just mind that the sun might be strong in a sunny afternoon through the glass walls, ie if you sit near the glass walls. Vegetarians have options too.