“The Hotel Served Me Well”

Hotel G San Francisco
Ranked #46 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
“The Hotel Served Me Well”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed here while I was attending G Summit in June 2014. Despite the conference hall being a 30 minute walk away, I picked this hotel due to its close location to Union Square and the discount rate advertised on its website as it was doing a soft launch and still not entirely done with its renovations.

The hotel is a mix of new and old, but I don't know if this feeling is entirely deliberate yet. The lobby is missing tiny tiles, my rooms paint had tiny fractures and the lighting in the room could be improve. On the other hand, my room also had a Samsung smart TV (with channel that had world cup coverage as I gratefully and luckily found out), a Nespresso machine, a very comfortable bed and a pretty cool alarm clock.

I can definitely see this hotel becoming much nicer than it was when I was there. That isn't what I am reviewing though. I am reviewing my stay, and despite the discounted rate, that fact I was paying 200-400$ a night during my stay made feel like I should have received a better overall stay experience. I would definitely try to stay here again, but maybe once they are done with all their renovations.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Rio De Janeiro
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed in Hotel G for 4 days and it was a great experience. The hotel is brand new, every detail is fashionable and carefully chosen to make you feel at home... But more glamorous!
The crew is nice, helpful and gives good clues about the city.
The hotel is in an awesome location in SF and I cannot wait to get back! Thank u, guys!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Luiza B
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Fantastic location, beautiful rooms and courteous staff. I would stay here again. One complaint we had is that the upstairs AC dripped condensation onto our unit. We just set a washcloth out there to dampen the noise, so not a big deal.

• Stayed June 2014
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Hotel is still in soft opening, so many things still under renovation. They're converting an old hotel into a hip, modern boutique hotel super close to the, albeit touristy, action.

Location is amazing, you're a block away from Union Square. Public transit from SFO is easy, just take the BART to Powell Stn and walk up about 4 blocks.

Hotel itself is staffed by ppl who are friendly and accommodating. As a nice but odd touch, there was bread and redbull at reception when we checked in. That puzzled look on your face... No, I don't get it either.

Love the look and feel of the building, very much a boutique. You feel like you're in an old apartment building that's been modernized with the latest decor... which is essentially exactly what it is. Original doors are quite heavy (good thing) but also had a half inch gap between the door and the floor which freely let sound in (bad thing). Original floors means they are creaky, both outside the room and inside.

Loved loved loved the room decor, bedding, furniture, bathroom and fixtures, incredibly fluffy towels and bathrobes. Loved the toiletries too -- which is saying a lot since I always carry my own everywhere.

We will admit to being picky about getting a good night's rest. We appreciate the quiet, and have been known to move rooms to achieve this goal. The first room we had was right next to the elevator shaft, and it was the noisiest room we have even seen a hotel try to get away with. I believe there is only one of these rooms per floor, right in the middle. The elevators are old and the cables drag up and down making a loud and constant scraping noise when in use. Which is all the time. So we asked to be moved, and the hotel staff was quick to oblige -- clearly this is a known issue.

Second room was far at the end of the hall, 2nd floor facing the street. Great room and quiet at night, but by 8am they had already begun construction in the lobby right underneath us. We let it go, but the next morning was woken at 7am by someone hammering so loud that it literally shook the room. We were not happy.

Upon checkout, we complained about the noise in both rooms. The manager was kind enough to refund us one of our nights.

So 5 stars for service, look/feel, location, quality of furniture. But only 3 for overall experience, due to the incessant noise. I could give an extra star if it was just due to temporary construction, but a lot of it was structural, which isn't something they're likely able to fix. Creaky floors, dragging elevator cables, doors with gaps... That's a bigger fix than some final touchups prior to launch.

I wanted to love this hotel so much, but I'd feel like I'd be doing the TA community a disservice by not reporting some of the problems which I believe will persist beyond the grand opening.

Room Tip: Rooms adjacent to elevator shaft are very noisy with cables scraping the walls. Quiet rooms are furt...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We booked this place before there were any reviews as it's a new hotel. A couple of days before we were due to stay there, we had another look on TA and there were now some reviews which made us a bit nervous as there were lots of comments about noise.

So we emailed the hotel and requested a quiet room as I'm a light sleeper. They did reply to say that they would do their best, but it was a downtown hotel so we should expect some noise.

They put us in room 1115 (11th floor) and at the back of the hotel so we didn't hear any traffic noise which was great. We were also away from the lift, however we could still hear it bonging in our room - it is very loud - if I were the manager I would have that noise disconnected! Our room was opposite the cleaners cupboard though - so don't expect a lie in.

The rooms are lovely - very contemporary with polished concrete floors. The bed was so comfy and so were the pillows. The bathrooms don't quite match though - seem a bit tired.

Staff are nice, although struggled to understand the lady that checked us in. The chap was happy to recommend places to eat nearby. The valet was $45 a night, but there is plenty of parking nearby which would be a bit cheaper. Very close to Union Square.

Would recommend it.

Room Tip: Room 1115 was high up and at the back of the hotel - kept street noise to a minimum.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank H4115
Zaandam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Booked this room without realising that the hotel would not be fully completed during my stay - no bar, no restaurant and even photographers in the reception taking photos for the website i guess. I only stayed 1 night and selected the hotel for it's location more than any other reason. The room is large and well furnished but as noted in other reviews, nosiy - not just due to street noise but also due to the fact that everything is bare concrete flooring.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

My sister and I were in town for Giants games from June 5-9, at the same time, we are frequent travelers to SF. I decided to stay at Hotel G after coming across them on Expedia since my go-to hotel, Handlery Hotel, was too expensive. I have to say that I was equally impressed with this hotel. Because they are still working out the kinks to the building, I see a lot of potential once everything is all done. Don't let the look of the floor deter you. The rooms were quite nice and comfy. Really had a minimalist, urban contemporary look. They also have a Nespresso machine in room for a quick coffee fix to start your day. Everything was definitely clean and housekeeping was very attentive and we came back to a clean room every day. The staff is very friendly and helpful. We had arrived into our hotel after midnight and they made sure we were checked in right away so we could go rest. Totally quick and painless.

My sister and I will be returning to SF in September to run the Giants race and I am pretty sure that we will be staying at Hotel G again. I had a room on the 8th floor! decent view...but I think maybe next time I'll request a higher for a better view of the city I love so much.

Stayed June 2014