“Off of Market St. and not far from Union Square”

Park Central Hotel San Francisco
Ranked #61 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
West Hollywood, California
“Off of Market St. and not far from Union Square”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

The Westin is pretty nicely situated a block away from Market Street and near a couple of BART stations. It's also a quick walk to happening Union Square... a very convenient location if you like shopping. The lobby is well appointed. And I had heard that the rooms had been renovated. Unfortunately our room did not appear to be one of the new ones. There was really nothing wrong with it. I was just hoping to see the new decor. And, at this price point, I would expect a tad more elegance. Free WiFi and a stellar view from the 25th floor made up for it. And the signature heavenly bed always makes for a comfortable sleep!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (689)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
La Selva Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

While I was checking into the Westin San Francisco Market St. I was trying to adjust the bag I was carrying. I unfortunately had the special bottle of wine I brought with us in the bag and dropped it and it shattered on the floor. I felt horrible because of the mess I made, but instead of making me feel bad for making a mess of the floor, the receptionist (believe her name was Salora) appologized to me and offered to have a bottle of red wine sent up to us. That made me feel so special and made a very embarrassing moment immediately change to an exeptionally pleasent experience.
That wasn't the end of the tremendous experience. When the bellman, Edwardo, rang he brought not only the wine but a tray with fruit and cheeze and cracckers. He was extremely polite and wished us a very pleasant evening. A few minutes later Edwardo called and aske how we were enjoying the wine. He said that chocolate was the perfect thing to enhance our enjoyment of that wine and that he would be bringing up some strawberries dipped in chocolate to make our wine night perfect.
I want to say that your staff at the Westin made our stay so special that we will most definitely be making it a point to stay there again again. We live in Santa Cruz and go to many Giant games and plays in the City, so we are able to enjoy San Francisco often. I would recomend the Westin on Market to anyone who enjoys comfortable surroundings and an exeptional staff to make sure every detail is perfect.

1 Thank Gerald K
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

We chose this hotel because we didn't want to have to rent a car during our vacation. The hotel charges $48/night valet parking but is very convenient to BART stations which we took from the airport for $8.10 per person and also the trolley which goes to Fisherman's Wharf. Taxis were always in front of the hotel so getting one to go elsewhere was never a problem. The tours that we took picked us up right in front of the hotel. The hotel was very nice and generally clean, although a dirty glass from the bar stayed in our room for three days without being removed by the maid. The beds were wonderful. The restaurant food was good but the breakfast buffet is $25 per person making it an expensive breakfast for a family. We had a room near the elevators which sounded like a jet airplane taking off so be sure to ask for a room AWAY from them. We did not hear any street noise but were on an upper floor. This hotel is right across from a California Pizza kitchen and 1/2 block away from a great breakfast place and a coffee shop + near to several large shopping areas. Our room was an even number and we had a view of the bay and Alcatraz, so ask about that if you are interested.

Room Tip: Get a room AWAY from the elevators.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Gscjjj
Tampa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

The Westin is a very nice hotel. We paid for the upgraded room ($50 per night), and it was well worth it, the view we had was a beautiful one of the city and part of the bay. The room was spacious. Will recommend.

Room Tip: Get the upgraded room, you will not regret it.
Roseville, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

My finace and I went to see the SF Giants game and decided to stay for the night. This was a pretty nice hotel close to the park. (Maybe a mile or so)

Parking- No self guest parking at all. You could opt to pay for valet at $50 dollars a night which we felt was pretty steep. Instead- we parked directly across the street and paid $25 for the entire night.

Room Service- Is offered until 10pm but this was also very pricy considering they charge a $5 dollar delivery charge in addition to a 20% service charge. In other words, you would be paying $30 dollars for a cheeseburger and fries. There is a subway across the street open 24Hours and a Mcdonalds a block way. (Thanks to my Iphone)

Rate- The per night was not too bad although they will charge you a $150 fee on your credit card on top of the nightly rate in case you do any damage to the room. I still have not received my credit but they sure do take it quickly.

Our room was nice and clean with a King sized bed. The bed was decent (comfortable) although we have had better especially at the price we paid for the night. ($180) It came with a fully stocked beverage and snack fridge. The room also came standard with a Phillips LCD TV although it is very far across the room if you wanted to watch TV while laying in bed. The bathroom was small but came with your standard - soap, shampoo and conditioner.

I think the best experience was our view from the room but overall a decent hotel to stay at if you're just there for a night or two.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

The Westin San Francisco is well-situated, 1 block from the BART Montgomery station. At $8.10, the ride from San Francisco Airport (SFO) to the hotel is a steal. The hotel is located in Union Square with an abundance of restaurants and shopping in close proximity. For business travelers, it's only a short walk to Moscone Center. It's also near the MUNI (to go elsewhere in SF) and within walking distance of Chinatown (10 minute walk).

Geraldine at the front desk was absolutely fantastic and gave us a room on the 35th floor. The rooms have floor-to-ceiling windows, so the view was spectacular. The shower had a soothing double shower head. Decor was modern and clean. Beds were comfortable. The concierge was also helpful and friendly.

I enjoyed my stay here and would definitely come back.

london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Stayed at this hotel on vacation for 3 nights in April 2012. Had an bad experience with the concierge.

Coming from Europe, it was our first time in SF. On our first day in the city, we went to the concierge for help. One of the thing we had to do was to walk across the Golden Gate bridge and enjoy the view of the bay from there. We did not know how to get there from the hotel. The concierge did not seem very competent in showing us the way and could not tell us very clearly how to get there by bus. She was a bit clumsy with the map. Then, one of her colleague passed behind her and told her that the bridge was closed for pedestrians. She did not check to confirm the information and simply sold us the bike tour company that they work with for $72 (for 2 people). It was "the only way" we could see the view from the bridge (we did not have a car at this time). We then thought we had no choice but to buy the 24hr bike rental as we could not come to SF and not go over the bridge.

It was only to our sad surprise that once we reached the bridge there was lots of pedestrians crossing the bridge. We were really unhappy about this and disppointed that the hotel misinformed us. We ended spending money for something we did not was based on their advice.

We got back to the hotel late that night and decided to share our feedback/complaints with the concierge the next morning. Another person received us and told us that they thought the bridge was closed. I know that this is mainly a hotel for business but if the concierge is not well informed to advise tourists then you may as well not have a concierge desk. Furthermore, the person took my name, room number and assured me that the desk manager would contact me to explain the situation. I told him that I was checking out the next day and he said that it would be fine, someone would get back to me before then.

I checked my messages three times and asked upon check out if the concierge left me a message. NOTHING. I am not sure what I expected: a refund of perhaps just an apology but I got none of the above. Very disappoiting to say the least for such a flagship hotel. And the cherry on the cake was that on the back of the SF city maps that they give to everyone, there is a 5 USD discount per person applicable on the bike tour they sold to us. They obviously 'forgot' to mention that to us when they booked it for us...
Beware of the concierge in this hotel!

The hotel itself has nothing particular. It is quite well located, close to Market street and walkable distance to Union Square. The room we got was ok. The bathtub is too small of have a bath. Good bed though.

I would not return to this hotel. Poor customer service from a the concierge staff.

7 Thank LeVoyageurdeLondres