“Great place to stay”

The Park Central San Francisco
Ranked #63 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I've stayed here several times for business, and each time it's great. The hotel is clean, staff is friendly and helpful, and the rooms are very comfortable. It's a prime location in downtown, and usually less expensive then other nearby hotels.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Debey G, Manager at The Park Central San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Bhaber,

Thank you choosing to stay with The Westin Market Street while traveling on business. Your feedback is great for us and helpful for other travelers. We look forward to welcoming you back to San Francisco on your upcoming travels.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at the Westin San Francisco Market Street for three nights during a ten-day tour of California in December 2013.

I'm a member of Starwood Preferred Guest, and I carry the Starwood American Express Card, so all of my hotels during this vacation were Starwood properties, and I booked the property directly through Starwood's phone reservations agent.

We arrived in the mid-morning after landing at SFO following a cross-country flight from New Jersey. While our room wasn't ready, helpful bellhops checked our luggage for us, and the friendly staff gave us an ETA of when we could return. The front-desk staff was super nice, and it was a great greeting to San Francisco.

The room was great, with a king-sized Heavenly Bed giving us an amazing night's sleep as always. Truthfully, the only thing that got me through the cross-country flight was knowing there was a Heavenly Bed waiting for me! The bathroom was quite large, with ample room for two people to move around and get ready in the morning.

Location is perfect - the trolley is a block away, the cable car is close by, and the BART station is a few minutes walk. We're New Yorkers, though, and we love to walk - so we found ourselves walking all the way to the Embarcadero Building, and all the way up to Pier 39. The Westin San Francisco Market Street is pretty much near everything you could want to do as a tourist in San Francisco.

There was a pretty major incident that occurred during our stay that really ticked me off, though.

We came back to the hotel in the afternoon to change before dinner, and we saw an extension cord running under the closed door. We opened the door to the room to find an industrial-sized air blower pointed at the carpet, which was now damp beneath our feet. There was also quite the funky smell in the air.

We tried asking the maid down the hall what happened, but she shook her head and didn't say anything. I went downstairs to the front desk to see what was going on. Apparently, during their cleaning of the room, housekeeping accidentally caused the toilet to overflow, and water flooded the bathroom and the carpet outside the bathroom.

What was unacceptable to me was that no one called me to let me know. I had to find out about it when I arrived back at the hotel towards the end of the day. You know, after my clothing, suitcases, and other personal property had been sitting in a flooded, funky-smelling room. I find this lack of communication unacceptable. A simple phone call would have been great: "Sir, there's been a bit of an incident... but don't worry, we're moving you to another room."

To their credit, however, when I told the Front Desk that we wouldn't be spending our last night in that room, they immediately re-assigned us to a corner room at the end of the hallway which was gigantic, and had an excellent view.

Overall, it was a great stay at the Westin San Francisco Market Street, despite the unfortunate incident mentioned earlier. The location cannot be beat, and the quality of the Starwood experience is top notch. I'd recommend this property to anyone looking for a comfortable stay during their visit to San Francisco.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve R

Dear Steve R,

Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood and allowing The Westin Market Street to be a part of your Holiday. The Heavenly Bed is just that, heavenly and for your comfort. Also, thank you for sharing your incident as it is important for us to receive this in order to improve our services and ensure our guests have a relaxed and renewed experience. Recovery is very important to our service professionals and it is wonderful to hear that we were able to recover from that. Look forward to welcoming you back to San Francisco in future travels.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

The location of this hotel is very good, if you want to be downtown, and central. It's pricey, but the quality of the room was fantastic - we had a small corner room, which was beautifully designed and appointed, if tiny - and everything else was nice. Bathroom was as small as small can be, but perfectly functional.

If you need to be centrally located, this is a great spot, and probably worth the money.

Room Tip: Corner suite was small, but great view. Room 1524 was very nice.

Dear James R,

Thank you for your review of our hotel and sharing your experience with other San Francisco travelers. Having a well appointed and clean room is important for all of our rooms and glad that you had a renewed and relaxing stay while in San Francisco.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Overall, my stay was great! Nice rooms, great bed, good service. Good lobby bar. However, DO NOT let concierge use limo vendor Grand Limousine! Grand Limo is the worst ever! They charged $300 for one way trip to Menlo Park (uber is about $110) and they tried to charge me an extra $50 for glasses! Then they charged me an extra $115 because a guest was 15 late! Grand limo told me the $50 glass charge was due to the need to drive extra to pick up glasses, however, they lied about that because the glasses were in the trunk! I rent limos frequently across country and this was the worst experience ever and the management was incredibly rude and untruthful! westin should change vendors !

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Tkniery,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We also appreciate you sharing your experience with one of the vendors that was used. This is valuable information for us and will be sure to follow up.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Very centralized location, and close proximity to Union Square. Approximately 10 - 15 mins walk to Westfield & Nordstrom malls, with BART train station (Powell) along the way. Metreon mall is just behind the hotel around the corner as well. Afterall no worries about food etc...
Hotel & room are in excellent condition, gym has everything you need for a good workout.
Staffs are courteous & well service oriented. The only thing is room do not have hot water electric kettle. You may ask but not necessary you will get one. Unless other guests had returned back to room service. Recommended for business trip.

Room Tip: Normal King Room is good enough

Dear yanda02,

Thank you for the 5 Star Review on TripAdvisor and sharing with other travelers your experience while staying at our hotel in San Francisco. Thank you for the feedback on he electric kettles and will be sure instructions are left on how to use the in-room coffee maker for hot water. When you travel on business, your entire travel wellbeing is our focus and The Westin and we are glad to have met your expectations.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel since my husband was attending a conference there. I'm so glad this location was chosen. It was a clean, comfortable, convenient property with friendly and helpful staff. Our room was not ready when we arrived and the staff called me on my cell phone when it was ready. Also, when checking in, the women asked if I was a light sleeper because a room was available near an elevator. That would not have worked for me and I was so appreciative she thought to check that out. The breakfast buffet was pricey but I splurged after flying across the country and I'm glad I did. A delicious assortment of hot and cold food. The concierge could not have been more helpful when I asked for directions on a couple of occasions and opinions about tour buses to explore the city. There is a city tour bus that picks up right in front of the hotel. Perfect! The room was spacious and clean with comfortable beds. The ceiling to floor window offered an amazing view of the city and bay. It was spectacular! The location of the hotel makes it so easy to access Chinatown, Union Square, the Ferry Building and more all within a 20 minute walk. The BART is a 5 minute walk away. We would definitely stay again!

2  Thank Scott F

Dear Scott F,

Thank you to for choosing to stay with us while you were on business and your family was able to enjoy the city as well. You shared great feedback to other travelers and gave great information about our hotel but also the city. We look forward to welcoming you back to San Francisco!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

This is a good priced hotel for SF with clean , comfortable & rooms with great service. Saved $220+ not staying right around the nearby union square. No real " extras" like a pool etc but not many downtown hotels have them. Good hotel/bar restaurant albeit $$ but it is SF. Good tips here for the high level floor to get away from noise & better views. If u have limited time & plan on more sites around wharf might do better staying around the wharf to eliminate crowded & unreliable commutes on streetcar or cable car. F line to wharf from downtown is apparently unreliable ! Found out after spending $$ on MUNI day passes ( that no one checked) & missing our Alcatraz ferry :( Luckily they got us on next ferry on a usual sold out day. Might do better planning on taxis. All in all I would stay again if wanted to spend more downtown time.

Room Tip: request high floor level room to get away form street noise
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear tellurideneeds,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor and your feedback about location and San Francisco Amenities. Sorry the public transportation did not work for you but that is great to here that the tour company for Alcatraz was able to work out getting you on the tour and island as you are right, advance planning for those tickets is vital. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us while in San Francisco.