“More than just the "Summer of Love" tour.”

Haight Ashbury Flower Power Walking Tour
Ranked #74 of 284 Tours in San Francisco
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This is your backstage pass to the coolest area in the universe! Stroll through the cosmic history of it all, from rock’n roll to art, fashion and architecture, this fantastic walking adventure gives you real insight into the cosmic draw of the Haight-Ashbury! The tour is approximately 60% hippy history and 40% general neighborhood history and architecture, but it is always 100% ‘far-out’ fun! Saunter along the same streets that Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, The Grateful Dead, Joni Mitchell and countless others etched their marks into the collective alternative culture and creativity of the 20th century! Approximately 12 blocks, final destination 2 blocks from the point of origin. A poetic and symbolic act of retracing the footsteps of so many, returning with greater understanding and heightened consciousness.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“More than just the "Summer of Love" tour.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

We took the tour with Stan Flouride and had a great day. He started talking at 10am sharp and kept it up until well after 1pm. A wealth of knowledge of the area and SF in general. Although this tour includes plenty of photo ops of Janis Joplin's house and The Grateful Dead's hangout, Stan included a very interesting narrative about the building of the Golden Gate Park and the rise of Haight-Ashbury from the 1800's. He has lived in the neighborhood for 30+ years and can answer just about any question you have. Our tour ended at The Herb'n Inn where we were able to check out the beautiful backyards of the Victorian houses and watch a clip of a 60's news reel about the neighborhood. We enjoyed spending the day in the neighborhood with Stan and seeing it through a local's eyes.

Visited January 2014

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Should have been free”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

The tour guide, Izu, was a very friendly woman with a cute little dog. Seemed happy to answer questions and was enthusiastic to see us. We walked to a few houses where the Grateful Dead and Janis Joplin lived. She recommended some good restaurants around the area. However, the tour wasn’t that informative. Didn’t really give any dates or relevant information about Haight-Ashbury. I didn’t hear much history on Haight-Ashbury or much of the current culture. She kind of rambled, told some stories about concerts she went to and at times I couldn't even understand what she was talking about. Overall, tour didn’t seem that professional.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Megan C
PamBofHaightAshbury, Owner at Haight Ashbury Flower Power Walking Tour, responded to this review, 12 August 2016
Unfortunately, TripAdvisor would not remove 3 negative reviews even though I explained that the subject guide (IZU) died in 2014 (I think I previously accidentally said 2013) and her undiagnosed lung cancer had metastasized into her brain and impacted her behavior during the period these reviews were submitted. Personally, I think TripAdvisor is a tad too rigid on their rules that do not accommodate this type of review removal (a review of a deceased guide). I do not attend every tour. I was initially grateful to those who submitted these reviews because they enabled me to urge Izu to get to the hospital. She died within 4 months. Her fans continue to be saddened by her absence. Sunny and Stan carry on delighting tour groups with their expertise and enthusiasm. Enjoy and RIP Izu. Pam (Owner/Guide)
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Walking Tour - a great experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Stan was our guide, and we enjoyed every minute of the tour. He met us at the right time and place and we learned about the buildings, styles of construction, people who lived in the area, the trees and lots of other local knowledge that we weren't going to get from any guide book. Stan lives and breathes the area and the locals know him too. We only had 3 on our tour so we were able to ask questions and discuss why things had occurred. Thanks Stan, I would recommend your tour to any of my travelling friends.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank CarolNZ
Vancouver
263 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 161 helpful votes
“Haight Ashbury Flower Power Walking Tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

Although I was the only person on the tour, the tour still went ahead. Stan, the tour guide, was very knowledgeable and provided a good narration of the architectural, cultural, and social history of the area. We also made a stop at the Psychedelic History Museum. $20 for this 2.5-hour walking tour was a good deal. Make sure you wear comfortable walking shoes.

Stan was also kind enough to take photos of me in front of the Grateful Dead house and the Haight Ashbury street signs.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Bill C
Gilmer, Texas
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“The highlight of my recent visit to San Francisco!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

I absolutely loved this authentic tour of Haight Ashbury & Izu was the best! Her endless knowledge and boundless energy was contagious, & as a "child of the 60's" I was thrilled and totally engrossed in her every word! Izu is a true character & her love of the Haight & it's famous inhabitants is fun to experience. I have previously visited this area on my own but could never have totally experienced it as Izu portrayed it to us. On my next trip to San Francisco I plan to take this tour again and experience this time in our history once again. Thank you Izu for being yourself & sharing your experiences with us. We were even invited into a private home owned by authentic "hippies" who also personally experienced this historical era. If you loved the 60's. Then by all means call Izu & let her transport you back to the "summer of love!"

Visited September 2013