El Capitan Hotel
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Ok, so I am all for roughing it but this was something else. For a start its not realy a backpacker hostel, more of a boarding house.
Inside it looks like it hasn't been cleaned properly in a good while. Shared bathrooms are filthy and some of the locks are broken, also no sinks to wash your hands.
We thought we would give it the benefit of the doubt and stay. When we came back that evening we sat down on the bed (sheets and pillows all stained) untill we noticed it was crawling with bed bugs. We packed up and left there and then. Asked the owner for a refund who said that it was too late in the day (18:00) and we had to pay at least for the first night, after a bit of complaint he gave us a full refund.
Mission area is great. Loads to see and do and eat, with other hostels in the area give this one a miss.

• Stayed: September 2011
6  Thank Nat_A_Worsem

Reviewed 10 September 2011

Just left this hotel (stayed Friday 10th). At first we entered the room which was pretty old and worn, but figured it would be ok for the night. We were back packing after all, not expecting luxury! However, found 5 or 6 bugs on our bag, and went to ask for bug spray. Man behind the desk seemed shocked and promptly moved us to another room because they were bed bugs. In the next room we had the same problem. Our third room there was also many bed bugs found, we gave up (because it was past midnight) and just went to sleep. In the morning we got our money back (mainly because we threatened to tell the other guests about the bed bugs and show them the evidence) and left. I really dont recommend this. Its ok to stay in somewhere old and damaged but this place is also disgusting. The man behind the desk told us not to go right when we left the hotel because there was 3 murders last week. Stay clear and pay a little more for a recommended hostel!!

Room Tip: Dont get one!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank eilidhlinton
Reviewed 14 May 2010

Stayed here for a couple of nights. Just another garbage hotel in the Mission District. I had to negotiate to get $40 for a night. The room felt OK but depressing and spartan. There was a TV and a small sink. Shower's in the hallway. I went into the hall one night and there were bed sheets on a cart with hundreds of wriggling bedbugs all over it. However I slept fine and was never bitten, which I can't say for the youth hostel up the street. If you want a cheap hotel in the middle of mission district nightlife, this hotel might be OK. But then again you risk being attacked by bedbugs and the atmosphere is kinda weird, but this is the Mission after all. Not a place for you honeymoon.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank thomaspaine
Reviewed 9 September 2009

I previously stayed in USA hostels but this one was nothing like the other. It was not as fun, and although clean and tidy, I was stuck in a room with noisy sleepers. Great location near the bars of the Mission but loud because of this. Room was clean, but the shared shower area got too disgusting to use it the next morning. Friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 February 2009

I spent the worse time ever, it's not clean, and i dont advice it even if it's cheap. i dont know which didease can be in this hostel but it's really really bad.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank travellerho
Reviewed 26 August 2008

the area is not the greatest but there are clubs and bars around so people are always out - just be aware of your surroundings and your fine. Also there is no real parking so you could end up paying $15 a night (i think its only for 12hrs) that is if you cant find street parking but read the street signs. As for checking in, be warned that if you pay any online deposit through a booker the hostel will still charge the full room rate + tax regardless of it your online booking says you are suppose to pay less. Also, I have to admit I slept on a sleeping bag and when taking a shower I wore flip flops. The hostel isn't dirty (they just shampooed the carpets) but it's old and worn. The great thing was that i had my own private room for a price that most hostel charge to share a room with 3 other people. That was a major plus. They give you a key to the front door so you can come and go as you please. Just for precaution call before to double check that they recieved your booking. I am trying a Hostel International hostel next time but if I don't dig sharing a room then I will totally stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 June 2008

This place is extremely cheap for good reason. The hotel is newly renovated and very clean; however, it was the scariest neighborhood I have ever been in. I lived in South Central Los Angeles for 6 years and I have never been so frightened. There were three homeless people staying at the hotel, one frightened Asian tourist and us. My boyfriend who is 6'3 and jacked didn't mind the hotel. I, on the other hand, did not sleep for two nights because I was so afraid of encountering a homeless person in the hallway bathroom. The place was freshly painted, with new tile in the bathroom and new carpets. But I would never go back there again. The third night we spent in the airport travelodge and it was fantastic by comparison.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple