“Super Chill!”
Review of El Capitan Hotel

El Capitan Hotel
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This place is perfect if you're on a budget and are not looking for anything fancy. Check-in was very easy, no fuss. My boyfriend and I got the room with a full bed and a shared bathroom. Yes the rooms are pretty basic and crappy but if you're just looking for a place to sleep it's perfect. It's right in the center of Mission. Close to food, bars, BART etc; They even have complimentary coffee in the morning.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lilibug78

Reviewed 3 March 2014

The only possitive thing I can say is we got a refund ...
No parking option (but to be honest, there isn't one almost anywhere in SF), dirty rooms, poor bathroom...

Wouldn't stay there ever again, nor recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank MarketaMachalkova
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I have traveled all over south america, so im used to the usually cheap hotel, but this crap is by far de worst place i have ever stayed anywhere in the world.
The guy on the reception is the more aggressive person i have met in the city, after showing us a room that clearly smelled like some one just had a pot party, he showed us to another crappy room. The bathrooms absolutely disgusting, and it seems that they haven't cleabed them in more than a month. Dirty toilet paper on the floor and the shower was full of hairs and pieces of paint. The next morning, my toes were burning and i realized it was that i got a feet fungus form taking a shower. And on top of all that, I found a bed bugs on my shoes and suitcase, leaving all my things infested and me sick and paranoic. So i go to talk to the manager and after fighting for an hour he is not even going to give me a discount even after i show him the bed bugs. So now after i arrive home, i have to go to a laundry to spent money, wash all my things in really hot water (which is gonna ruin some stuff) and spray everything with insecticide, to not infest my room.
And all thanks to this [--] hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank Eduardo C
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Terrible place to stay, the room was dirty and smelled really bad as did the beds.
I tried to run the tap for some water but all that came out was a brown fluid which you definitely couldn't call water.
There was no aircon so it was very difficult to sleep.
I really advise against staying here

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank RoddersGlobetrotter
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The first thing you notice is that the carpet throughout the hallways is covered in stains and rubbish,it's obviously never cleaned or even hoovered and absolutely reeks of urine!
The rooms are slightly better but i had to go across the road and buy cleaning supplies and BUG SPRAY the floor was covered in sticky dirt and there was a cockroach on my mirror!!
I told the guy at reception about it and he just shrugged saying nothing,not even an apology!they obviously don't care about the state of the place,its beyond help.
The shower is really gross too the whole thing was covered in mould and the floor and walls were all dirty,obviously never cleaned i honestly don't know how they get away with it!
The bed linen seems clean at least but thats probably all it has going for it.
It's on a busy street with lots of loud bars,drunks,drug addicts and homeless people i could not recommend it any less please don't waste your money on this place however cheap it seems its seriously not worth it!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank kusama77
Reviewed 8 May 2013

This is very weird hotel. It is very cheap- that's true, but i think it is the lat good thing about this place. It is big building with lot of rooms (people live in some of them). This place looks like hotel from 1960 - everything is from this years and I feel like it was never renovated. The bathroom is just terrible- cold water, disgusting bathtub. However the staff is very friendly(older man in the reception) and the location is good- Mission Street. All in all i will not recomend this hotel, unless you don't have money to a better one ;)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Wiktor88
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Hi, I stayed at this place recently. The staff were a mixed bag. One of them was helpful, and did all the basics well enough. One staff member I asked to call a taxi for me and he gave up waiting, so i said i would do it instead. Overall I felt the staff just saw you as money. While I was there they changed the door lock from old fashioned key, to card and said that will cost you $5. I had to prompt them that I will get that $5 back on check out to which they confirmed. When I did check out I thought I would just wait for them to give me back my $5 but no I had to ask them. The hostel was a bit dingy in general, the carpet awful, and dirty in the hallways. The bathrooms were not that great. The room was surprisingly good compared to the rest so hence my 3 star mark. Also I never had to queue for a bathroom, as they have many so that was good. There is no laundry but one just down the road so handy.
The hostel aside the mission area is a real mixed bag, some dodgy types walking around, but great restaurants.
To summarise if I stay in San Fran again I will choose more up market, as it makes the trip feel better if you feel safe, and clean.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo