“Awesome!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Awesome!”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Went for my 29th anniversary. The hotel was great! Service, wonderful. Arkadiya is THE BEST! She was sooo helpful, and patient with all my questions. Mika helped me at the front desk! Very nice, welcoming smile, very accommodating! I took too long to book, so I didn't get the high floor I wanted ( I was on the 17th). The tall buildings obstructed the view. I was in the King Jr. Set. It had two walls of windows, which I got because of the view I thought I'd have. I see why the reviews said "get high up". I will book well in advance next time (definitely an annual stay now) but I will be sure to get up to the top floors. I feel parking, ($120 for 2 days) is outrageous. I also feel WI FI should be free. ($15.00)...really??! Because of those 2 factors, I had to put a "4 " rating.

Room Tip: Get a room that faces the ball park, so you can see the bridge!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Monica D, Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear BayAreaGirl007,

Thank you for leaving this review. We're honored you chose to spend such a special occasion with us. I'm delighted to hear both Arkadiya and Mika made such a great impression and made your stay even more enjoyable. We are happy to say that all IHG Rewards Club members do receive complimentary internet access and hope you join to take advantage of this great amenity before your next stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again for your 30th anniversary!

Area Reservations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Harpenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Great location for getting about, very friendly helpfull staff, good facilities and excellent cusomer service. Dealt with noisy neighbour problem very efficiently and even provided a basket of fruit as an apology.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank POWTEAM
Dear Powteam,

Thank you for this nice review of your stay with us. We're glad to hear you enjoyed our location, hotel amenities and particularly our staff. Thank you for your understanding as we assisted with your noisy neighbor and we are happy it did not impact your stay. We look forward to your next visit with us, hopefully soon.

Melbourne, Oz
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This 'glass' hotel is really lovely. We had an 'upgrade' to a 25th floor corner room, with Club access, that was just Gorgeous. At night the views to the Oakland Bay 'illuminated' bridge and City were Stunning. The daytime view the other way...included the 'top of the Mark'...equally Great! And the Huge bathroom with its wall of glass was also Lovely. We found that we really Enjoyed 'returning' to the room 'early'...smile. A real 'plus' for us was the 'atmospheric' Pub just across the street that served Fabulous 'Buffalo Wings'...smile. A small 'grumble' at the hotel was the breakfast at the Club lounge... we didn't think it measured up, as far as other hotels we've stayed in. And the 'tiny' plate that was provided was far too small for even a 'normal' serve of eggs on toast... The evening drinks/canapes, on the other hand, WERE excellent, as were the Christmas decorations. We will Definitely return to this well located, 'nearly' Excellent ..Intercontinental.

Room Tip: Being a city hotel...the upper floors do provide more of a view....
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Oftentraveller45,

Thank you for leaving this review of your pre Christmas stay. We're happy to hear you enjoyed our views, guest rooms and location. We look forward to your next visit, maybe even for another pre Christmas stay.

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I'm a bit of a picky fellow and The Intercontinental Hotel in San Francisco hit a home run on this visit. I'm actually a very picky, well versed traveller who possesses x-ray customer service vision in my never ending exciting pursuit of the perfect stay.
Location; Perfect. Why? Because Fisherman's Wharf is over priced and in my opinion over rated. For us the location choices were narrowed down to Union Square or Fisherman's Wharf. No disrespect to the rest of beautiful San Francisco. Union square is diverse and open for business much later than the Wharf area. Your options for transportation, food, culture, people watching and shopping go on and on. The intercontinental is a short 2 blocks to the Market St Cable Car. Final answer; location is perfect.
The Hotel; Near Perfect. Why? What stood out first was the product. The hotel is a near new building and is kept virtually spotless inside and out. The Valet service was prompt and check in was a breeze. We chose the corner suite and were thoroughly impressed. With the drapes pulled back it was a near 250 degree view from the Golden Gate to the Baseball Stadium and Bay Bridge. We enjoyed a stellar view from the 18th floor and road noise was non existent.
The room was very well appointed. They have a clever system of a sensory fridge so be careful. If you remove the item from the sensor you have purchased the item. The bed was ultra clean and we slept soundly. The safe is built into the closet and the bathroom is quite nice. The toiletries were top shelf and the bath towels were quite large.
The Restaurant was it's own experience and deservedly should have it's own review. The Hotel is home to the Luce Restaurant. Just go. Don't miss it. Incredible is about what comes to mind.
Our visit to the Lobby Bar was a blast. We were served by the very personable bartender Ken. We shared a few laughs and were impressed by his attention to detail. We ourselves ordered the ever exquisite Rum & Coke but also got to see his real talents when the folks next to us chose a very nice wine from his suggestions.
The pool is ok and serves the purpose. No real view or atmosphere but it was clean and safe as was the hot tub.
The business centre was a bit of a let down. The equipment was top notch and everything worked well however at a cost.(17 dollars to be exact) I tried to save a few bucks by asking a Concierge if she could assist with the purchase and printing of some tickets for a show. Without getting into the very small details of an interaction gone awry I'll say the concierge and the hotel were most efficient in handling the situation. It's because of that The Intercontinental loses absolutely NO points from me. I fully understand you can't please everyone and not every interaction is going to be perfect. The staff rose to the top and should be given full marks for situation control 101.
Everywhere we went we were greeted very politely by the staff. They also have well dressed, well placed security to ensure you feel comfortable.
Be sure to become a member of their rewards program to ensure some little extras like free Wi-Fi. Booking directly with the hotel also doesn't hurt to help things along as well.
Overall our stay with The Intercontinental was exceptional. We will certainly be returning here on our next visit and I will take pleasure in recommending your hotel to my friends. Final answer is perfect.
Thank you for the wonderful time. Well done.

Room Tip: Corner suite is a must at the very least.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank meezleedog
Dear Meezleedog,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write this review. We appreciate when well seasoned traveler's such as yourself find our hotel to be a perfect fit. We hope to continue to make all guests feel as you do and hope to welcome you back on your next trip to San Francisco.

Chesterfield, Virginia
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Recent conference in San Fran was at the Marcone Convention Center. Even though the Convention Center is broken up into multiple buildings, The Intercontinental is right next to one of them, and across the street diagonally from the others. The hotel is very clean and the staff were exceptional. Had room service one night and my food was very good (although overpriced as room service always is), but didn't try the hotel restaurant. Plenty of space in my hotel room, and I had everything I needed. The internet worked well, with no speed issues. Not always the case in hotels, so this was a pleasant surprise. The bed was okay, and I slept fine. The only negative I experienced was the noise come from outside (there seems to be a fire truck or ambulance running through the streets every hour, on the hour), but you can't blame that on the hotel. All in all, if I'm ever in SF again for a conference, I'll definitely stay here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mike B,

Thank you for leaving this review of your stay. We're happy to hear we made your conference that much nice to attend and you found our location and services to suit your needs. We look forward to the next conference that brings you back to the InterContinental San Francisco.

Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed 6 May 2014

If you do not mind hiking up a few blocks to the top of the hill, you will love this hotel. So peaceful, quiet and classic. The service is great, fitness room is a bit small but who needs to work out when marching up and down the hills in San Francisco? The hotel is only 10 minutes away from the Union Square area by foot so if you want to see tourists, go shopping etc., you can do so easily. It is also conveniently situated if you want to head down to Marina ( tram or walk), Downtown area ( Equinox for example), or Pacific Heights ( 30 minute walk). All in all, I loved staying there.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are massive and quiet. I loved the layout ( not like W hotels where the bathroom is pra...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OlgaLimassol
Monica D, Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear OlgaUES,

Thank you for leaving this wonderful review of our sister property, the InterContinental Mark Hopkins. I have passed along your great sentiments to them and we hope you'll return soon!

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I got here early from LA, circa 9:30am, and asked if they could wash me a shirt. Chap on front desk said he'd check if a room was available, and if so I could check in right away. Thank you so much.

Rooms were fine with good bed and shower. I stayed on the 8th floor, and can I say the two ladies who do the rooms are fab, very service focused and should be praised.

Had breakfast which was good on the whole, and a few beers at night. All well served, etc. As regards the location, only a couple of blocks to Union Square, which suited me, so I valet parked the car and walked. Would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Sophilaura,

Thank you for this review of your recent stay. We're happy you enjoyed our hotel and our restaurant as well as our great location. We hope to see you again on your next visit.