“An outstanding hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
“An outstanding hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Recently spent three days at the Intercontinental on Howard Street (there are two Intercons in San Fran). Firstly, the concierge staff is amazing. They booked us at great restaurants at the last minute and were incredibly helpful during our stay. The front desk is staffed by smart attractive folks who look to serve. The room was impeccable and the views outstanding. Even the shoeshine service was five star. Had breakfast at the restaurant each morning and and even lunch one day-food was terrific. Took time out one afternoon for a massage and would recommend a visit to the spa if time permits.

Room Tip: It's not for the economy minded but one of to the best hotels in the States.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Monica D, Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Ahg2,

Thank you for leaving this wonderful review. We love to hear when guests enjoy their stay with us. Thank you for mentioning our amazing Concierge staff, I have passed your kind words onto them. We're delighted you loved our beautiful guest rooms, great restaurant and relaxing spa. We hope you'll stay with us again soon.

Area Reservations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Park City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Given it's luxury status and highly rated spa, I think my expectations were initially too high. That said, it doesn't have the high room rates of some of its competitors, and that should have been a clue. But in the end, this was a good experience, and I will return!

PRO's: Very friendly, helpful staff. Gave me a nice credit for troubles. Great spa services. Comfortable bed. Nice view (23rd floor). Good room service.

CONs: Jr suite was smaller than I'd expect for a "suite" (but priced comparably). Bathroom amenities and design were average only. Spa part of the spa was small, not very attractive, and unimpressive (great services though. Just don't plan on a day enjoying baths, steam etc available in most resort spas). On-going tv probs (but nice credit given for trouble).

In short, I'd definitely recommend this hotel, just know that you will get something nice but not exquisite. But for the price, it's a good choice. I will be back.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear ACF1969,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Thank you for mentioning our friendly and helpful staff, great spa services and comfortable beds. I apologize for the on-going tv issues and am glad we were able to resolve this issue to your liking. We look forward to hosting you again on your next visit to San Francisco.

United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Once a while we splurge for something really nice like the IC SF. You feel you get your money worth here - the location of the hotel, the hardware and the service just make you feel it is worth it.

It was not perfect. The safe in the room was stuck in the open/lock position - I guess the previous guest locked it while it was open. So, I had to wait for security to unlock it. My room was in the high 20s and I could still hear the street noise well (and there is a fire station near by). There is also some kind of mechanical sound that is coming from above - not sure if it was the elevator system or some kind of piping.

Still, beautiful room, great view and very friendly staff (everyone from front desk to housekeeping) made it a good stay.

Room Tip: Higher level for better view (and if you are not worried about fire/earthquake). City view rooms ar...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Want2GoHome,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We love to hear you had a nice stay and enjoyed our beautiful guest rooms, central location and customer service. I'm sorry for the experience you had with the safe lock and for the ambient outside noise, however we're glad that our service from all colleagues made your stay a good one. We look forward to your next visit.

Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

This IC is in close proximity to Moscone and all the touristy shopping spots. The check-in process is smooth, and the rooms beautiful. Because of our Ambassador membership, we should have received an automatic upgrade. Unfortunately there were no rooms available (don't believe it), but as a consolation, they gave my husband and I free breakfast vouchers. To be honest, that didn't help considering we have friends and family in SF so we never used them since we had plans every day. We had a large room at the corner with a great view. We shared no walls, only with the stairs. It was a disabled access room so the closet was lower so our shirts and jackets were hanging very close to the ground. The spa area was nice and clean, and they also have a lap pool. I really loved the gym, especially since they have one Pilates reformer machine. Another big bonus, doggy friendly! Should I return again to SF, I'd like to stay at this IC.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Keyser_Soosie,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our hotel. We're happy you liked our central location, smooth check in process, beautiful guest rooms, spa and fitness center. I'm sorry we weren't able to provide the upgrade you were expecting and the closet was lower than you'd prefer. We do hope you'll chose to stay with us again on your next trip to San Francisco and allow us give you a truly InterContinental experience.

Delhi, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed here overnight for a friend's bachelorette party. Even though it was only 1 night I used the fitness center which was pretty good! Had weight machines, free weights and cardio machines. The valet parking was awesome and I was promptly assisted and check in was a breeze. I had a friend who was sharing a room with me but was coming in much later and the front desk was very cooperative with having a room key available for her get in. The restaurant and lounge looked very nice but I didn't try them. When it was time to head out for dinner, I was taken by town car that the hotel provided to the restaurant. Nice to not have to flag down a cab. If I needed to flag one down, the doorman would have done it for me. The room was VERY clean and very spacious. This hotel is of a high standard and definitely shows it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Yuri H,

Thank you for leaving this wonderful review. We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the fitness center and an easy check in. We hope you'll stay with us again for another special occasion!

Las Vegas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Incredible customer service, rooms are exceptional with great beds, mattresses and accessories. Service staff are exemplary. Better than many hotels that cost much more. In room dining is great. The Club Room amenities were delicious and plentiful, comfortable seating too.

Room Tip: higher floors for a better view of the city
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Julio G,

Thank you for these nice comments! We're delighted you had a wonderful time staying with us and thought our staff, rooms and service were exemplary. We hope to see you again soon on your next visit.

Kirkland, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

It's a nice hotel, clean rooms, friendly front desk staff.

But it's hard to relax when they nickel and dime you on all the little niceties. Internet access? $15/day. Use a computer in the business center? Extra charge. No vending machines, but they have an honor bar where you can enjoy a $5 can of Diet Coke. Valet parking? $60/day.

The kicker for me? They offer complimentary car service within 2 miles of the hotel, so I availed myself of this to get to a morning meeting. Nice town car but when they dropped me off I guess the driver was expecting a tip because when I turned to say "have a nice day" he drove off without a word, not even waiting for me to completely close the back door.

You deserve better than this.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Bruce G
Monica D, Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Bruce G,

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review of your stay. We're glad you found the hotel room comfortable and the front desk staff friendly. We are happy to say that all IHG Rewards members do enjoy complimentary internet access and hope you take advantage of this free to join program the next time you visit any IHG hotel. I do apologize about the instance with our car service and thank you for bringing that to our attention. We would like to speak with you further about this matter and hope you will contact our Guest Relations Manager, Hizkia Larranaga at hizkia.larranaga@ihg.com at your earliest convenience. We look forward to connecting with you soon.