“cute and comfortable boutique hotel in central San Fran”
Review of Golden Gate Hotel

Golden Gate Hotel
Ranked #4 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Finding affordable hotel accommodation in central San Francisio was a surprise. Not being fans of hotels and preferring B and B, this compromise accommodation suited us well. The rooms are charmingly decorated in a fresh, old fashioned sort of way, with good quality linens and towels. Ours was small but had an ensuite and was perfectly comfortable. The staff all seemed to be locals who were of all ages which had a real family feel. They were friendly, helpful and knowledgable about th city. A simple muffin, coffee and croissant breakfast was available but not a lot of seating in the parlour whre it was served, so timing was everything! This did not detract for us, from what was a very nice inner city stay just a minute from Powell St. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank otawa

Reviewed 13 January 2014

As a life-long traveler, I have stayed in the world’s best hotels as well as some pretty dreadful hostelries. My choice is made on both needs and wants. The needs are the deal breakers – cleanliness, location, a comfortable bed, linen that does not irritate my sensitive skin, good water pressure and abundant hot water in the shower, and not too many stairs to tax my arthritic joints.

The wants are those things that make me want to come back. The Golden Gate Hotel is a winner on both fronts. It is superbly located on Bush Street in central San Francisco – both Chinatown and Union Square are walking distance. My congratulations to the housekeepers, who keep the hotel immaculate. The 100 year-old elevator is at once functional and charming. It’s not the fastest vertical ride in San Francisco, but the Golden Gate Hotel is only four stories tall, and it is a lovely glass-encased ride. The bed was very comfortable and both bed and bath linen of good quality. The pressure and quantity of hot water in the bathroom were excellent. Parking is conveniently located across the street.

Charming is a good adjective for the Golden Gate. The hotel has a turn of the century décor. The many framed antique photos in the hallways, the room drapes and antique furniture (with new mattresses and linen), the fireplace in the breakfast lobby complete with a lazy, purring cat, are perfect matches for the century-old elevator. The Golden Gate describes itself as a bed and breakfast inn, and the breakfast is a delight. A basket of warm almond and regular croissants and muffins is served with jam and marmalade, orange juice and very good coffee. I am sure that tea is also available, but believe me, the coffee is delicious. My advice is to save the tea for the afternoon when it is served with cookies in the lobby.

All of the “things” that make up The Golden Gate Hotel met my needs and wants very well. I was most comfortable and I certainly want to return. But the experience was so much better because of the staff. Halim and Spencer were helpful, gracious, and always smiling. They graciously helped with directions, sightseeing and restaurant recommendations, and made refrigeration available for my insulin.

Owners Terry and Renate have built a lot of love into this little hotel, which now seems to be under the management of daughter Gabriella – all of whom stopped to say hello during breakfast. There is nothing plastic about this hotel. It’s all very real, and a great find.

Room Tip: The rooms are not large, but perfectly adequate.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank PatrickLAX
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Great hotel/b&b in walking distance to Union Square and Grace Cathedral. What really sets this hotel apart from the rest is the amazing staff. They go above and beyond to make you feel at home. Would definitely recommend for anyone staying in lower Nob Hill. They even let me keep my bike inside which was most appreciated. Great croissants and coffee and tea in the morning.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sam M
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My husband and I visited San Francisco on our honeymoon in October 2013 and stayed at the Golden Gate Hotel for six nights.

We could not recommend it highly enough for visitors from across the States and beyond.

The staff were exceptionally friendly, helpful and well informed. They provided us with ideas, maps, a warm welcome and travel advice on buses, trams, etc.

The hotel is extremely centrally located for shops, trams, Chinatown, etc.

The rooms are warm, clean and cosy.

Could not recommend the Golden Gate Hotel enough.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank elliott_caroline
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This is a lovely hotel in the heart of SF. Very well maintained and really nice accommodations. The queen bed private bath room was small but well maintained and the bed was very comfortable. The breakfast was pretty good but nothing more croissants. They were very good though. I would highly recommend this place for couples. Good service and good price.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The hotel is in an odd location, not really in the loin or nob hill or union square, but triangulated between the three. I was at a conference at the downtown Hilton, so this location was perfect for walking down to meetings every morning, but if I was just nominally staying in San Francisco, this would not be my first choice spot, in terms of neighborhood. The staff and service was top top notch; I showed up about 15 min before the front desk closed to check in on Sunday night and the desk manager was amazingly friendly, had a great suggestion for ramen in the area, and made sure my room was as I pleased. This was a theme that continued during my weeklong stay. The coffee was great, as were the pastry, and the staff made sure there was stuff available to grab as I rushed out the door every morning. After I checked out, I left my bag with the front desk and was invited to have tea when I picked it up, later that afternoon. The common area is really mostly used during the tea and morning coffee times with an interesting mix of international and domestic travelers of mostly ages mid 30's - 60's. They could totally call the place a boutique hostel - as this is probably closer to the feel of the place. My only complaint would be that the noise from the antique elevator was fairly loud, and while this never woke me, it did keep me a awake a couple of times. Overall, a great stay and I would definitely return.

Room Tip: At least one of the shared bathroom singles on the third floor has its own shower - ask if you can s...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed 3 nights in the Golden Gate Hotel (in a double shared bathroom). The staff were very friendly and helpful. I rang the day before I was due to arrive as my plans had changed and I needed to spend an extra night in SF. They were very accommodating and arranged for an extra night for me. The only room available was a more expensive, larger, room but they only charged me the cheaper rate (I moved rooms into my, smaller, original room the next day). The staff are also knowledgeable and willing to give you advice/suggestions if you require. The shared bathroom arrangement was fine, it basically felt as if I was the only one using it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo