“Very lovely place, great staff!”
Review of Golden Gate Hotel

and 1 more site!
Golden Gate Hotel
Ranked #4 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This was the the best place I stayed in the 2 weeks I was in the West Coast of the US. Great service from the staff- while breakfast was served from 8 am, there were a few days when we had to leave earlier for day tours, and they readily accommodated to serve us breakfast from 7.30 am.
I loved everything about the room and the country/victorian feel to it- from the colour of the bedsheets, the curtains, the wardrobe, the old school toilet with brass taps and flush & the bath-tub- and I am quite fussy! The room looks much better and newer than the pictures on trip advisor.
Price-wise it isn't that cheap, but in the period we were there, it had one of the best prices (our other alternative was Hotel Carlton).
Location is great too!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel twice in two months. The first time was a vacation with my husband and we stayed for two nights. The second time was a business trip where I traveled solo to attend a conference. In both instances, I had a very good experience at the hotel. The best thing about the hotel is the staff. I felt like my every need was attended to, the staff are very personable and sweet, and everyone truly goes above and beyond. To me, this felt very different than almost every other place that I have stayed, and I have stayed at many hotels around the world. The hotel itself is older. Some people won't like this. I enjoy the charm of older buildings and I must say that this hotel is kept up to date much better than most places. The plumbing was especially impressive, because this is usually the main difficulty with older buildings. The shower was very good in the charming clawfoot bathtub: great pressure and temperature control. The rooms are smaller, but this is generally true in all of San Francisco, unless you want to pay twice as much. The location of the hotel is very convenient as a launch pad to explore the city via train, trolley and bus. It is downtown, however, and so the streets are a bit noisy outside the windows of the room. For light sleepers, you may want to bring earplugs. The wi-fi is excellent and I was able to work remotely with no problems. I enjoyed my morning breakfasts of coffee, orange juice and lovely, warm croissants and muffins in a European-style morning room. Thanks to the lovely hosts at this warm and comfortable hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

We just stayed here for the second time and had another wonderful stay. Spencer at the front desk was very helpful, the room was just right, and the location is terrific. Stay here for personal attention and an at home feel when you're traveling.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Ruth D
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This was our second stay at the Golden Gate Hotel and it was just as lovely as we remember. The location is super (cable car stop at the corner, walking distance to Chinatown, Union Square, North Beach, the piers, Market Street BART). Our bed was extremely comfortable. We prefer a private bath, which meant the street side of the building, so bring earplugs if city noise will be problematic. The croissants at breakfast are among the best I've ever had. It's nice that there's a public computer in the lobby (we had our own, but still). We were glad to see Pip still holding court!

Room Tip: We prefer a private bath, which meant the street side of the building, so bring earplugs if city noi...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Martrese
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The beds really are amazing and complimentary afternoon tea at four was an excellent touch. Our room was pretty small but so well put together that it really didn't matter. Obviously the cat was a bonus too! The location is next to downtown San Francisco which is useful, although the more quirky areas are further away.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane j
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed in the Golden Gate for 4 nights last month (April 2014). Loved it, loved the breakfast, the location, the rooms. I especially loved my charming hosts and especially Pip the cat!

You unlikely to love this hotel if you think comfortable beds and quirky charm arent important. The beds, omg, I slelpt like a baby. The rooms are reasonably sized, however if a 500 inch Flat screen matter to you, you're in the wrong place.

This hotel places the emphasis on personalised service and slightly eccentric interior decorating. THe collection of great photos on all the walls, corridors etc are a fascinating insight into a San Francisco of the past, a perfect introduction to your stay in this most beautiful city.

The location is perfect, at the top of Powell Street, right near the Cable car stop and a stroll downhill into the heart of Frisco's shopping strip. Of course the walk back uphill is a challenge, but thats what the cable car is for!

This gets you in the heart of the action whilst making you feel all snuggly and warm, like you're visiting dear old friends for a week, I can't wait to bring my family here for a visit, miss you already Teri, Gaby aand Renate!

Room Tip: GEt a higher floor room. If you are a light sleeper, make sure you ask for a room away from Bush Str...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed here just two nights and were so pleased with everything....the location, the wonderful staff, the delicious breakfast. The rooms are so cozy and beautifully decorated. We loved the old original elevator. Pip the cat had quite the personality. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We had rooms with a shared bathroom, but every room has a sink in it. One couple had a large privat...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family