“red vic is an old haunt of mine”
Review of Red Victorian LLC

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Red Victorian LLC
Ranked #25 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 June 2013

i i love the vic when rosie was the manager dont know who is in charge now, but when iw as last there the rooms were still nice , sometimes they give discounts for longer stays or at least they used to for me as i was always staying here its a landmark and i hpe they keep the integrity of this b and b sami owns it , and shes great

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 June 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights and had a great stay. Every room is themed and we stayed in the Golden Gate park room which is decorated with flowers and plants with a bay window. The people who work here are extremely nice and helpful. It is a great value for San Francisco. I don't think I've found another hotel for under $100 which is as inviting as the Red Victorian. It is centered in the Haight Ashbury district which I can understand is not for everyone because of its "ecclectic-ness," to put it nicely, but I love it. There is never a dull day in the Haight, there are great places to eat (I highly recommend The Pork Store for breakfast), bars, shops of all kinds and of course Golden Gate park is only a block away. The only downfalls were that the bed wasn't the comfiest but Ive had worse and once 9am came around I could hear everything outside; which I expected because its a city and the building probably dates back to 1910. We also didn't have a bathroom in our room, there was only a sink, and it was a little awkward running from the bathroom in a towel to the room, but you can always dress in the bathroom. There are rooms with bathrooms attached if you have a problem with that and as for the noise, there are rooms that are not directly facing the street. If you're looking for a different B&B experience and are on a budget this place is awesome for its character and location.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I spent only one night at the Red Victorian (R.V.). I was given the Rainbow room. My observations are as follows. The rainbow room has a sink and this was very nice, especially at night in that typical late evening activities such as teeth brushing and car washing can be completed privately. The very large window in the alcove has a table with two comfortable chairs that overhangs Haight Street. The view is postcard quality, no matter if you grew up in Cheeseville, Nowhere and have never ever visited San Francisco or even if you were born and raised in San Francisco. One issue of concern and to be noted, is that the room is so much fun that you may not want to leave...or to go to sleep. Although I stayed only one night, I spent most of the evening watching the very interesting people go by. If you open the window, the experience, in my opinion has all the qualities of a great documentary regarding the diversity of cultures. Every possible combination of relationship between people ( dogs too) passed below my window and it was a sheer joy to behold. This was not a scene that could be recreated at street level. I feel that this experience was a sincere gift. When I finally did decide to go to bed, it seemed that I had been given a unique San Francisco experience that will be with me for a lifetime and this is coming from someone who visits the city two to three times per year and has done so for the past 25 years. The room was very clean and yes, I did turn over the mattress and strip off the sheets before sleeping in the bed, just to check things out, given that I have a background in "Bad diseases that happen to good people." The room was uniformly clean. The bed was exceptionally comfortable Street noise is audible with an open window which I found to be most pleasant as I kept expecting to hear Tony Bennett as part of the slight background noise but, alas...he must have been out of town on the weekend I was there. Wifi-yes...TV- I am not a TV person so I can not remember the details, other than I think there was one in the room. (Shared) Bathroom(s)- What a trip.... and I have not used that expression since High School. The bathroom was highly unusual, in terms of how it was decorated, visually fun and does what bathrooms should do. One thing, if you just tore your Achilles trying to show your 12 year old that you were once as good as Michael Jordan, there is a winding staircase... but if my mother who had a hip replacement not too long ago, and is no spring chicken could do it, almost anybody can. Breakfast-Who knows and quite frankly...who cares. I was out the door as early as possible, walking up Haight. looking at all the great shops and again filling my mental, card catalog ( For you young kids...a card catalog is a prehistoric device used initially when man ( and woman too) evolved to having an opposable thumb) with all of the interesting people that were out singing, do wah diddy...diddy dum...diddy do. There was some sort of organic coffee place up the street and I was just too afraid to ask what organic coffee was, because I had a vision of 25 Great Danes doing their morning biz in the coffee beans...but the coffee was really good and so was the pastry. I would tell you that the service at this coffee place was wonderful, but service everyplace on Haight Street was remarkably gracious. This brings up the quality of the staff at the R.V. On a technical note...I was having such a great time exploring Haight Street, the staff locked up my bag for me so that I could wander aimlessly and unrestricted for as long as I wanted. In addition, staff provided a rich, educated and detailed history of the R.V. as well as the Haight Ashbury neighborhood and they were genuinely happy and proud to do so. The young man at the desk told me that it was his first week and he was being trained by a delightful woman, perhaps the manager. They worked together to kindly answer each and every one of my incredibly boring questions that I probably repeated two or nine times. They also provided transportation and bus route information. The location speaks for itself. The R.V. provides an excellent central geographic location to easily access the city by car, public transportation walking or bicycle. I would have enjoyed a few more nights at the R.V. Next time I visit San Francisco, I'll settle in and stay a little longer, maybe a week... maybe more, because it sure was a good time.

Room Tip: Personal tastes can vary. I suggest that you discuss your needs when booking. Staff is both knowledg...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I chose the Redvic because of it's close proximity to St. Mary's hospital and they gave me a great deal because of my situation (family member in the hospital). It is sort of a boarding house with great energy. I was in the playground room on the third floor. There was a sink in my room and a shared, but very clean bathroom right across from my room. My room was a little smelly so I just went out to Whole Foods and bought a can of natural room spray. Maybe I would stay in another room, next time. Great wifi reception and a really nice breakfast. I wish the breakfast was offered an hour earlier. Everyone that worked there was great, especially Michael. Very helpful from the first phone call to reserve the room, through my check out. Thanks Michael! One thing I have to say that impressed me, was how courteous the other hotel guests were. I recommend eating at The Citrus Club right down the street. Yummy Asian noodle house!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank seeksocean
Reviewed 5 March 2013

A sweet young lady gave a very nice welcome, the room was terrific with atmosphere I had hoped for. ( Skylight Room)
I was leaving at 6 the next morning so she offered me to pack some food for breakfast.
since there are no staff to help me call a taxi she gave the phone number of the taxi. You can called the taxi from your room.
The room and bathroom was clean.
The bed was hard and the pillow a little too high, but it was ok for one night. But 100$ is a good price for the room.
I wish had more time here too take in the atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Just stayed 2 nights, primarily on business. I had one of the smaller rooms (earth charter) with shared bath.
What I liked:
Quirky, beautiful decoration: not a chain hotel
Comfy quiet room
Safe and clean
Good value (hard to find a good room in SF for less than $100)

What I didn't like
Limited desk hours (8 am - early evening)
Breakfast doesn't start until 9 am (so I missed it)

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2013

It's been a while I have been there now, but I really hope it hasn't change at all. This is the place to go if you want to go back to the late sixties, early seventies spirit. Quite an immersion !
Warm welcome by the staff, nice breakfast room, everything very easy going. And Haight Ashbury is quite a myth, isn't it ?

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple