Red Victorian LLC
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in San Francisco
See available hotels
Stanyan Park Hotel(San Francisco)
  • Breakfast included
Carl Hotel(San Francisco)
  • Room Service
The Metro Hotel(San Francisco)
View Hotel
Beck's Motor Lodge(San Francisco)
View Hotel
Twin Peaks Hotel(San Francisco)
View Hotel
Laurel Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel(San Francisco)
  • Bar/Lounge
Geary Parkway Motel(San Francisco)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsb bposter roomclose to golden gate parkunique decorneighborhoodsfhostel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 October 2013

WE origional started at the Hilton at Union Square in San Francisco but we turned off by the massive size and business people everywhere. Plus the parking was $54.00 25% add on for our stay. After the first night I checked out. We found the Red Victorian in the Haight Asbury District. This place was super quaint and cool. Every room differnet. The rewood room came with it's own bathroom. Some had a shared bathroom but it was super nice and clean and would chose a cheaper room. My room was $159.00 a night compared to 210.00 for the hilton. This room as no phone or TV but to be honest I ended up loving the solitude. The morning breakfast Cafe was great with all healthy organic food. The whole place had a great PEACE traquile feel and the people were excellent. Plus parking was about 2 blocks away in a public parkign lot by Golden Gate Park for $18.00 a day. Great location. Good food , cool shops and Safe. We walked the streets at night. Homeless people but they are everywhere in San Fran. I wouldn't stay anywhere else when I go back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jason B
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Rooms are dated, as can be expected.. facilities not great.. and in a bit of a dodgy area. But... i does have bag loads of character and a unique atmosphere.

There are a few nice bars (Magnolia bar had excellent beer and tasty food.)..

The hotel has the novelty factor... but, for the price...you could get a better equipped and more comfortable hotel. Opted for the en-suite room... most have shared bathroom facilities.

Room Tip: Choose en-suite.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We've just finished our second stay at the Red Vic during our Californian holiday and we miss it already!

Quirky, interesting, comfortable, thought provoking.... I could go on for ages.

The rooms are individual and both of the rooms we had (Skylight and Peace) had comfortable beds. The shared bathroom arrangement was not a problem.

As for Haight..... Well it's certainly different, full of 'interesting' characters and fascinating shops.

One small gripe - breakfast doesn't start until 9 (actually one morning it was almost 9.15 by the time they got around to opening the doors), which is really a bit too late. OK it's free and the bagels are delicious (but you can't buy anything else you fancy because the cash till doesn't open until 11.....)

Anyway, overall it was a great place to stay and we're looking forward to our next visit already.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

Let me start out by saying that I've never stayed at a B&B before, let alone a "peace center" B&B, so I wasn't sure what to expect but I really loved it! My husband and I were working an event at Golden Gate Park. Because we didn't find out until last minute whether we were working or not, we were faced with the decision of staying someplace really gross (according to TA reviews anyway) or spending everything we had hoped to make by working, on a decent hotel room. My sister in law saved the day by recommending this place! Apparently, we were really lucky because moments before we called someone had cancelled. Otherwise, they had been booked.
We got into the Japanese Tea Garden Room for a reasonable (especially by San Francisco standards) rate and were able to have a fun time AND make money to spare at the event! Win-win!
This room does have a shared bathroom which I've never had before but I figured "hey I've camped before and that's shared bathrooms right?" It was really no big deal at all. Especially since the bathroom is right across the hall from that particular room. There is a sink in the room so you can wash your face, brush your teeth, etc.
The room does feel old. But, its a Victorian, of course it's old! I like how they decorated outside the window so it feels like you have more of a view that you really do. I found the bed comfortable. And, in general kind of miss our little special place in the Japanese Tea Garden room.
The staff really could not have been nicer. We were only able to take advantage of their breakfast once but the bagel sandwich I got was amazing! I'm still thinking about it. I loved it so much I plan on making it here at home soon. You pick your bagel, pick your spread, and pick a few toppings. I came up with some weird combo I never would have thought of on my own. It was apparently unique enough for the sweet girl making it to say "I'm going to have fun with this!" Both girls we encountered were extremely pleasant. I also found it fun to meet other guests in the hallways and such. Doesn't happen like that at a regular hotel. Everyone was very friendly. I enjoyed that experience as well.
All in all I think it was a wonderful place to stay for 4 nights. Is it for everybody? No. There is a communal aspect to it. It's in the Haight which could be good or bad depending on your viewpoint. For me it wasn't my absolute favorite area of San Francisco but being able to stay somewhere so cool definitely made up for it. (Plus for our purpose, the location couldn't have been better!) There are some things I know some travelers simply couldn't deal with like shared bathrooms and all that comes with that and the fact that there is not 24 hour concierge. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I didn't care one bit about these things. I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and next time we're in town, you can be sure we'll be at the Red Vic!
Ps-try Alembic down the street for some incredible brews and food. Or if you're feeling more like a burger try magnolia. Both same owners I believe and both excellent choices within walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank SummerGirl03
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My wife and I stayed in the "Red Vic" summer of 2011 for a week and we just loved it. It's just down the street from the Haight/Ashbury intersection, and just a couple of blocks from Golden Gate Park. It's a great old neighborhood, and Sami Sunchild, the owner, has really fixed it up nicely. She also conducts weekly get-togethers so guests can talk with each other about various things. The rooms are all individualized and really neat.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family