“Victorian Charm”

Stanyan Park Hotel
Ranked #144 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Stayed here while visiting family in the area, the hotel was lovely and charming. Its very quiet and peaceful.The rooms were spacious and clean, the beds very comfortable. Large TV with tons of channels.The free continental breakfast was a nice touch, coffe, tea, juice, and a nice selection of cereal,oatmeal, bagels, pastry,also hard boiled eggs and yogurt.It was a nice way to start the day. Public transportation is very close by. You can also easily walk to Golden Gate Park, The Haight, and the Innner Sunset which has has a lot of great restaurants and shops. Overall a terrific place to stay!!!!!

Room Tip: We had a 1st floor room in the "round" corner part of the hotel which had a nice bay wind...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank karen r
There are newer reviews for Stanyan Park Hotel

Reviewed 29 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here because of medical appointments at UCSF. The location was ideal--right across the street from the hospital's shuttle service and also within walking distance to the hospital. The staff was wonderful and helpful in so many ways--can't say enough good things about them! The rooms we were in were immaculately clean and comfortable, and we found the decor charming. It was convenient to city transportation, restaurants, cafes and a great sports pub was two doors away. Whole Foods is a block away and there are other food stores and a drug store that is close by. We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: We stayed in 3 different rooms due to having to keep extending our stay and each was fine. Our favo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Idahogal35469
Reviewed 31 August 2012

It is very old, but everything is old in this area! Only about 30 rooms in a pretty desirable.... fun to explore part of San Francisco. A short walk to Haight Ashbury and Cole Valley...both neighborhoods brimming with bars and restaurants! It is the closest to USF too. You can hop on a #33 Muni bus on Haight St. and be in the hot Mission district in about 20 minutes for $2.00 each way.
The room we had was a 2 BR suite with one pretty large bathroom. Our #306 suite was huge with a full kitchen/separate dining room. One BR had a queen bed and the other BR had 2 single beds. There were 2 flat screen TV's. The period details such as crown mouldings and antique light fixtures added to the charm. There was a separate living room with a pull-out sofa where 2 more people could sleep. We really enjoyed our short stay and wished we could have stayed longer in this over-sized yet homey suite. Our location at the rear of the property was actually a positive thing because of how quiet it was.

Room Tip: We were told the hotel is about 90% or more occupied almost every night due to the lack of accomodat...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Freedomrings
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Room overlooked Golden Gate Park. Near Haight Street and public transportation. Room was comfortable and the free buffet breakfast was an unexpected treat. Elevator is a plus in area of walk ups. We were lucky to secure an early check in and the employees secured our luggage for a red eye to the east coast.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front overlook the park.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PVWest
Reviewed 3 August 2012

This is an old historic building, so I thought it would be charming. However, the blind on the window fell on the first night. The staff was not available to fix it that night, so they offered to discount my room for the first night. When I checked out, I had not been discounted. The night desk clerk had not made a note in my file. The associate working the morning of our check out adjusted my bill, but who knows if it was adjusted to the rate that the original associate had intended.

Hotel had charm, but the room was underwhelming. We were there for our honeymoon, but it felt like we were staying at our grandmother's house.

The website touted an "extended" Continental breakfast, which I thought would mean that they would have eggs and bacon, but it meant extended hours.

I know that they cannot help the location, but I grew weary of walking through "Street kids" and panhandlers to get to my hotel. I felt fairly safe walking at night with my husband, but i would not have gone out alone. There is not a BART stop near by. In order to get around the city you need to have a car or ride the bus.

I was in a room that looked over the park, which was nice at first, but difficult when I tried to sleep. The road was very loud and the street lights were bright (when I didn't have a shade). There was a small skate park across the street in the park and skateboarders hung out all day and all night which was also noisy.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicole J
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Great location for walking around Golden Gate Park and the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood. The building has that old Victorian charm, but the room itself didn't really feel that charming- no art, old TV, worn bedspread and carpeting, but clean. However, it's also nice to be in a local neighborhood. Some people complain about the prevalence of homeless in the area, but it seems to me like if we want to know what San Francisco is really like, we need to see the poverty as well as the mansions on Nob Hill. Besides, it was fun to step out our door and have access to the yummy food and drinks on Haight. A little disappointed because they messed up our reservation (the guy on the phone promised us their one queen sized room in the front, but when we got there, it was taken and they told us, "Hotels don't guarantee specific rooms, it just can't be done." Seemed like there was a disconnect in communication somewhere.) They offered us a discount, though, because of the misunderstanding which helped restore our faith in the service, a little. They also no longer offer a tea service at 4pm, so my year old guide book is outdated about that. Too bad, seems like the perfect building for a tea. Continental breakfast is good enough, enjoyed the coffee. Stay here if you want to be in the neighborhood, but don't expect a B&B atmosphere or anything fancy.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Definitely an experience. Ok for one person, for one night. I don't mind seeing places with character especially when I know what I'm paying for. I would not stay long, nor stay on holiday.

Pros: cheap, a place to sleep

Cons: smells moldy, thermostat doesn't work

There are probably other issues but I wasn't there long enough to notice.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business