“Very good stay”

Stanyan Park Hotel
Ranked #139 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We spent one night in this hotel. We had a 1.5 bedroom suite. When I reserved it I did not realize the suite has a kitchen and a big dining room. It would be great for a family who wants to cook. There are 2 bedrooms in this suite (with a twin a queen beds) and a sofa bed in the living room. Everything was good. It is within walking distance to a big nice playground in Golden Gate park. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank inna_lamesa

Reviewed 24 October 2013

For many years, whenever my parents (who are now in their 80s) visited from NYC they stayed at the Stanyan Park. It's close to where I live, and my parents have always liked it. When they arrived last week, we found the elevator was out of service, and had been broken for more than a week. The hotel had our phone number and email address, but never informed us of this problem. Since my father cannot climb stairs, the desk clerk had to call other hotels to find somewhere else to stay. That took a while, and he finally found a room at the Laurel Inn (recommended!), but there were no rooms available on Saturday night. The desk clerk said he, or someone else at the hotel, would find us rooms somewhere else for Saturday night. He did not do so, and we had to make our own arrangements. So, the hotel manager didn't tell people with reservations about the elevator problem because he was afraid they might cancel, and the hotel didn't make replacement reservations after saying they would do so. Outrageous really, and totally unacceptable. (You think the manager would like his 80+ year old parents waiting around a hotel lobby when they should already be in their room napping because the hotel was too greedy to do the right thing? No, I don't either.) My parents will never again stay at the Stanyan Park, and neither will any of my friends. This hotel does not deserve your business.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
19  Thank R0bert2013
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We were given a deluxe Queen room. Just enough room for a queen bed; two chairs; dresser and tv. Hardly any room to walk around. Not sure why it was called deluxe. Elevator was not working for the 3 nights that we were there. There was no offer to assist us with our luggage when we checked in. I was with my elderly mother who had to climb 3 flights of stairs! Offer to assist was finally offered the morning we checked out!
Complimentary continental breakfast was ok, but for the price we paid, would have expected at least bacon and eggs.
Parking was half a block away and not part of the hotel, but a public lot.
Location is ideal as it was across the street from Golden Gate Park and around the corner from Haight-Ashbury.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank busymom64
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I read the reviews before I booked and my travel companion had even stayed in this hotel once before, so I knew what to expect, or thought I did… I was very disappointed. I was prepared for the small rooms, dated décor and “historic structure”, but when we arrived about 7:15pm local time, for our two night stay we were given a room on the second floor by the “not very friendly” desk clerk. When we turned to go up the elevator there was a note taped on elevator door that it was “Out of Service”. So the clerk had not even bothered to warn us, but when we asked if there was some help for us up the two flights of aged stairs with our multiple bags we were told, “No, I can’t leave the desk.” WHAT?!?! So we asked if there was another room on a lower floor. “No”, again was the answer. So we ask if there was a discount on the very inflated for these rooms ($255./night) rate. “No”.
That set the stage for the service of this place. They do have a fairly nice, clean facility in a part of the city that has very few hotels. But the upkeep and service display a lack of concern for their patrons. The elevator was not repaired in the two weekdays that we were there. I would not be surprised if it were broken still – So beware, bring your light suitcases, or your own bell hop.
Next time I will look harder for other options.

Room Tip: Be prepared for rude desk clerks.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank jeansweekends
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Very comfortable and affordable. It is a hotel that is more personal...like a bed and breakfast. Staff was very helpful and the room was nice, clean and comfortable. Many restaurants close by. Close proximity to UCSF on Parnassus. I was by myself and stayed there the night before surgery at UCSF.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We enjoyed this motel and plan to return if we are in the area again.
Our room had a recent remodel and a flat screen TV. I am assuming that the other reviews with negative comments are from people that don't travel much. Any large populated area will have smaller spaces, homeless, parking issues - similar conditions in LA, Seattle, etc. Our pricing was better than comparable motels in the area and we have no complaints. We received good support from the staff and enjoyed walking the neighborhood - only a few blocks from Haight-Ashbury and right across from Golden Gate Park. If you want huge rooms and free parking, you need to leave the city.

Room Tip: Remember, you are in a highly populated coastal city - plan accordingly.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed here due to my husband having a procedure at UCSF Hospital. It was close to the hospital and one of the hotels they referred us to. It is a very old building, so yes it spelt pretty musty and the rooms were extremely small. I could of dealt with that, but the rooms all facing the inner courtyard there was no privacy at all. You could also hear everything going on in the other rooms. The only thing I really did enjoy was the fact that there was a bar, Kezar Pub next door, so I had a nice dinner and a couple of beers at the bar before heading back to the hotel for the evening.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple