“Worth the walk but take some tips!!”
Review of Baker Beach

US$39.00*
San Francisco Parks and Coast – Summer of Love Edition
Ranked #30 of 546 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Mile-long Baker Beach lies at the foot of rugged serpentine cliffs west of the Golden Gate. Large waves, undertow and rip currents make the beach unsafe for swimming, but it provides panoramic views of the Golden Gate Bridge, Marin Headlands and Lands End. You can fish or check out the shorelife along the beach and rocky shoreline. Restrooms and picnic tables are nearby.
Perth, Australia
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Worth the walk but take some tips!!”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Had a great day out starting at golden gate park... then walked 2 hrs to baker beach. (lol)

Well worth going to but important to note: get the 28 bus and get off at Golden Gate Bridge then walk to baker beach from there.
Then walk back to the 28 for a ride to pier/fisherman wharf area.

Get down to the beach and up on the rocks for some awesome shots. :) Sunset would be great but we went there mid day and still loved it. Moring might get more of the the fog though

5 Thank Gangel_77

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Great view of GGB”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We had some visitors from Croatia who wanted to see the Golden Gate Bridge from a different angle. The view from Baker Beach was great.

1 Thank Michele P
San Francisco, USA
142 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“beautiful beach near Golden Gate Bridge”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

SF is blessed with a few beautiful beaches and this is certainly one of them. With one side near the Golden Gate Bridge, this crescent beach has fancy houses on the cliff on one side and a clothing-optional section on the other.

Visited March 2014
Springfield, Oregon, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A great afternoon”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I very much enjoyed my recent visit to Baker Beach which was also my first time. My friends and I got breathtaking views and photos of the Golden Gate Bridge and some time to beach comb. My friend's daughter had the time of her life playing in the water and looking for agates.

It was a great day. Not too hot and not too cold. The sun came out for a bit to dry us off after getting a few sneaker waves to drench us. We had good luck this day with people being friendly and respectful. We didn't have trouble with setting up a section on the beach for our stuff and then took a walk up and down.

As others have stated, there is a section of the beach (northern most part) that is clothing option. I was just a little surprised that there weren't any signs alerting us to this. I knew there was a section, I just thought it would be more clearly labeled. I didn't have a problem with it and neither did anyone else seem to. It was my first experience with nude sunbathers (I'm from Oregon. It's too cold to sunbath nude there.), but I attributed it to new experiences.

Overall a great experience. I also liked the parking proximity to the beach.

2 Thank jules_ann_cat
Brigham City, Utah
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 127 helpful votes
“"Fragile habitat"”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Get off the 29 bus at the north end of the line (Pershing Drive) and walk down the hill to a nice picnic area and a beautiful beach.

Lots of people enjoying the sand and water, picnics and BBQs.

And one of the best places for some of the most fabulous pictures of the Golden Gate Bridge.

However, you will note a sign as you are entering the beach area that states: "Fragile Habitat". Who knew that the only way to enjoy some of the best views of the bridge is to make your way to the north past the clothing optional portion of the beach. I have no objection to the decision to "opt out", but it was very obvious that a few of the older men in the area were not there to sun themselves. They were there to expose themselves and did their best to let it all hang out in almost a confronting manner. Gotta enjoy those photo bombs... ;)

Seems that if the city is going to allow such an area, there should at least be some signs warning families, and those that aren't excited about the opt out, of the possibility.

Also noticed a couple of earlier posts about people complaining about "gawkers". I guess if you're going to shed your clothes on a public beach, then you should extend the same tolerance of those who don't want to as you expect them to extend to you...

Visited June 2014