“Great hotel!!!”

Stanford Court San Francisco
Ranked #66 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here a couple of months ago during our trip to San Francisco. We booked our hotel room based on other reviews and it didn't hurt that the price was reasonable for the location! The hotel met our expectations - great location, clean, comfortable and the staff was friendly. The beds were absolutely awesome (I slept like a baby every night), the bathrooms were a nice size (and the towel warmer was a bonus) and it was minutes from everywhere we wanted to be. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when booking this hotel: 1) You can hear the trolleys 24/7. It's not very loud but if you're a light sleeper, it might bother you; 2) The hotel is on top of a high hill. Unless you plan on driving or taking the trolley everywhere, this might not be the place for you if you are adverse or unable to exercise; and 3) Although the shower head put out good water pressure, it is an old school one and it may sit too low if you're above 5'10".

Room Tip: Higher floors will be more quiet and go with a suite for the larger size.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank eggroll82
Michael B, General Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you for your review! I’m so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Stanford Court in the near future!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,987)

Reviewed 26 February 2014

While my husband attended a week-long conference, I explored the incredible city of San Francisco, thanks to Tami and Elaine at the Concierge desk. They were incredibly helpful, and Tami even "tutored" this novice on the Muni system. Elaine highlighted maps to the museums I wanted to visit, and always asked how the exhibits were when I returned in the late afternoon. Both Tami and Elaine gave fabulous suggestions on restaurants, and even called ahead to let the restaurants know we were on our way. These ladies made my visit so much richer, thanks to their attention to detail and their willingness to go the extra mile for us. They are truly gems.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Michael B, General Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Thank you for sharing your positive experience! Tami and Elaine will be thrilled to hear your glowing review of them. Please think of us the next time you plan a visit to San Francisco!

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I was so impressed with the polite staff at the front desk, they were so helpful and friendly. Best service I have experienced in a long time. The room was spacious and clean. Great to have cable car outside as it made getting around easy. Close to Union Square and Chinatown. My only disappointment where the concierges, found them to be dismissive. The staff at the front desk more than made up for them.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Melanie C
Michael B, General Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Thank you for your kind review. I’m happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for voicing areas that need attention. I hope to give you a true 5 star experience on your next visit!

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location if you can manage the steep hills of SFO.
Rooms are nice and comfortable but the recent change over in management of this 4 star hotel has gone downhill.
There is no longer any room service and infact when I contacted reception to report the ice machine was broken I was told I couldn't have any delivered to my room I'd have to go the bar myself to collect some !! The kind of service I'd expect at a 3 star property.
Location is great tho 10 min walk to union square. Would I stay again ? Possibly if it was 3 star prices.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank BEACHBOY7181
Michael B, General Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thank you for your review. I apologize for the inconvenience of the ice machine. I appreciate your feedback in the issues that you mentioned. We will most certainly visit with the staff to ensure we are doing all we can to provide the utmost comfort for our guests. While we no longer offer room service, we do offer other amenities such as free, lightning-fast WiFi and a convenient, high-quality breakfast and bar experience. We understand that our approach doesn’t appeal to all travelers; however, we do strive hard to make everyone happy. I'm sorry that we failed in this case. Again, thank you for the taking the time to share your experience with us.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Stayed here as a child several times, wanted to try it as an adult and was very pleased. The hotel and staff are magnificent. Old world feeling with accessibility to everything! A must experience for family's as well.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay us. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Stanford Court soon!

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Stayed here for 5 night mid-week in January 2014 in a view room. All the staff were super nice and helpful. The room was very nice and clean and had a great view. Comfortable bed and good shower. One downside of the view room was noise from the street and especially from the cable cars. Luckily I always travel with earplugs so that was easily solved. The in-room WiFi was excellent. Good work out room. Only had breakfast once in the lobby cafe and it was decent.

I loved the location although if you are planning on walking, be aware that it will be steep hills in 3 directions - the hotel is basically at the top of a hill - thus the great views. On the other hand, two cable car lines stop right in front of the hotel so there is easy access to some public transit. If you not into the cable car thing, the valet/doorman will get taxis for you plus you can always use Uber on your smartphone.

The hotel also has a drive in courtyard so it is easy access if you are driving or using cabs. Parking is $57/day and it is by valet only. I was driving an electric car so they let me park in the courtyard where there was a 110v outlet I could plug into. They said they are planning on getting EV chargers in the parking garage,

I thought this was very good value for the price I paid and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank akjindal
Michael B, General Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Thank you for your stunning review. I’m glad that your experience at the Stanford Court was such a positive one. As you’ve mentioned, the garage will soon have charging stations available for guest use. We are consistently looking for new ways to enhance the experience of the modern traveler and your feedback is greatly appreciated. In the event that you forget your earplugs the next time you visit, we have them available at the Front Desk! ;) Cheers!

Reviewed 11 February 2014

When you first arrive the first impression is great, nice entrance courtyard, spacious lobby and nicely dressed personnel. The rooms are very good size, clean and well kept. Free wi-fi is a welcome addition. The only two problems I found were: 1) Loud, too loud. Windows and walls are not well insulated. I was on the top floor (8) and was still woken up several times at night with multiple street noises. and, 2) Both concierges were extremely pushy and will give you mean looks if you decide to not go with their choice. The concierge service is always nice to have but they should only make suggestions, and not act as pushy salesmen.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Daniel U

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I’m happy to hear that you found the room and amenities to your liking. I apologize for the noise disturbances in your room. While the exterior rooms offer wonderful views, they are exposed to outside noise. Quieter interior rooms are available upon request. Thank you again for taking the time to review us. I hope to serve you better on your next trip to San Francisco.