“Super awesome!! :D Just remember the $50/nite for parking.”

Stanford Court San Francisco
Ranked #66 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Let me start this off by saying that the hotel staff are incredibly friendly and trustworthy!!! We stayed at this hotel for 4 nites as our 10 year anniversary of being married. My husband surprised me with the trip cuz we'd never had a honeymoon :) I forgot my wedding rings on the nitestand when we left at 4am for our return home flight. I called the hotel as soon as I realized this and they couldn't find my rings on the table. Thankfully whomever went to find my rings thought to look in the dirty towels!! They somehow got mixed in with those!! My rings were shipped back to me in perfect condition!! We are endlessly thankful to them for being honest!!
Our trip was filled with many stresses but every time we came into the hotel, the people at the counter were very sweet and inviting!!!
The hotel rooms were nice and the beds were comfy! The view from the 7th floor overlooking the bay was beautiful! The location is great cuz you can walk a few blocks in any direction and see really neat things no matter which way you go! It was neat to be in the heart of it all. The trolley goes down the road that this hotel is on, along with the road on the corner. We never road the trolley but it is really handy! Water bottles were only $1.06 from the hotel!!! Cheapest thing in the city! :)
There was only 1 thing that we would've liked to know and that is that parking is $50 a nite. You can park your vehicle a couple blocks down the steep hills and walk back up them to the hotel and pay about $25-$30 a nite. We're from Wisconsin and didn't realize all the other expenses that there would be. Given this, though, the door men and valet parkers were very nice and helped get a cab super fast!

Overall, even with all the stress, we had a wonderful time! The hotel and it's staff sure had a hand in making our experience better! Thank you sooo much for everything!!!!!!!! ♥

• Stayed: March 2014
Michael B, General Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Wonderful! I’m so pleased that you had such a great experience during your stay. I hope to have you back with us soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,877)

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel mid April 2014. It is in a perfect location - nice and safe area (Nob Hill), walking distance to Union Square and the Ferry Building / Fishermans Wharf area (20mins)
Very comfy beds and a quiet hotel.
Only thing is the organisation of the bar at night for those wanting meals could be improved. It was hard to know where to order.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and valuable feedback. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to serve you better on your next visit to San Francisco!

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Very friendly and helpful staff, clean pleasant environment, good price, wifi worked well. The only improvement I could suggest is more than one serving of coffee would have helped me better kickstart the morning, but there was coffee available in the lobby.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side are quieter, and because it's facing down a hill you get a view even on...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review! While we have noted your preference, our staff is always delighted to provide you with more upon request. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Not that bad, just not 4 stars.

The hotel ran out of coffee packets for the in-room coffeemakers, so I had to walk across the street every morning at 6:00 to buy a cup. There's no excuse for that at a 4-star hotel. I'm grumpy until I get coffee and I had to do this for all 3 days. There is 'hotel lobby' coffee at 6:30.

Staff was pleasant. Bed was OK. Cleaning staff was excellent. The room wasn't noisy. I was on the 4th floor facing Powell St. There is noise from the traffic and cable cars, but it's downtown San Francisco, so that's what you'd expect. Neighborhood is quiet, no bars or restaurants on that block. No hostels or rowdy kids.

Overall, the property is fine, the staff was really good, but the management could do better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing easy, which overlooks Transamerica building, bay bridge, and treasure island.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I sincerely apologize that we ran out of in room coffee packets during your stay. We had a disruption in our supply, and have since corrected the situation so that it will not happen again in the future. I am glad that you enjoyed everything else about your stay and will let the staff know you appreciated their hospitality. I hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future!

Reviewed 10 April 2014

My wife and I went to San Francisco for 5 nights in March and ended up winning a room at the Stanford Court Hotel at a GREAT price through Priceline (bid on the Union Square East /Nob Hill area 4 stars or higher if you want to take a shot at getting it.) The hotel is in a great location on Nob Hill right next to Union Square and Chinatown, and a short walk from North Beach, and about 30 mins walk to Fisherman's Wharf. My wife and I love to walk around new cities all day to get the lay of the land and even though we run on a regular basis we were surprised by how steep the hills are and how taxing a day of walking there could be (we kept our phone's pedometer app on and clocked about 7 miles a day.) If you are not a walker you better buy a muni pass and/or bring your cab fare. Actually buy a muni pass no matter what, as a one way ride on a trolley is $6, but you can get an unlimited 7 day pass for $28. That is well worth it.

The staff at the hotel was very nice; the gentleman at the front desk spent a good 15 minutes with us pointing out areas of interest on the map and making dining suggestions and seemed genuinely happy to be helping us. We were a little disappointed early check in was not available; in fact our room was not available until 430pm, but they were fully booked the night before so it is understandable.

The rooms were nice but not amazing. Ours was pretty small and the bed was a little firm, but not too bad. It was odd they had an empty mini bar in the room for no apparent reason, and the closet was so small we couldn't even put a suitcase away. The safe located in the middle drawer of the desk kept sliding open so we had to put a chair against it to keep it closed. It was very clean though and the room service was great. They serve breakfast but be aware the hotel does not have room service or a restaurant/bar. There is a well-stocked convenience / liquor store about 5 minutes away if you just walk down Powell.

If you want a great breakfast head down to the Cozy Cable Car Cafe. Their ice coffee with a shot of expresso and freshly muddled mint leaf is a must!

Overall I can't quite give the Stanford Court 5 stars, but I can easily give it 4 and recommend it very highly. Great location, service, and value. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor so you can get a nice view and ensure you don't hear street noi...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BostonRichard777

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am glad that you were able to utilize the convenience of our location. I’m happy to hear that the staff was helpful to your explorations, they are always eager to assist in any way they can. I hope to welcome you back on your next trip to San Francisco!

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel on a business trip recently. The rooms are fantastic, kept clean and really spacious! The bathroom and dressing area is lovely too.

Breakfast is a bit disappointing and very expensive for what you get - that might just be because I'm a Brit and not used to paying that kind of money for that kind of food maybe.

The bar isn't open very much, doesn't open until 5pm and closes at 11pm.

Good location though - downhill to the shops and up some steep hills to get home, but you can always jump on the tram.

Staff are very friendly and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. You have a choice a room with a view (noisy) or a room with a view of a brick...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments. I am very pleased to hear that you found the room and amenities to your liking. I’m sorry that the café and lounge did not fit your needs. I appreciate the feedback in helping to enhance our offerings.

Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

I love to stay at boutique hotels when I'm traveling for leisure and this one does not disappoint! Our studio room was spacious (two women with a lot of luggage), had a modern feel and refrigerator in the room. The customer service at the front desk and concierge was outstanding. The hotel is centrally located and if you are intimidated by all the steep hills to get to the hotel then there is a cable car stop right in front of the hotel. I would certainly stay here again when back in San Fran!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kyishia L

Awesome! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your great experience. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future!