There are so many diverse neighborhoods, attractions, and dining options in San Francisco, that it is somewhat of a task deciding on location. In comparison to two other neighborhoods, Nob Hill has been my favorite simply due to the proximity of some of my favorite sites and easy access to public transportation.
We've also stayed at the "Hotel" across the street (80's pop culture pun intended), so the bar was set high for the Stanford Court. Was somewhat apprehensive walking down the hall... carpet looked like it came from the 80's, but was pleasantly surprised by the room. Our room faced California Street, so my only caution is that if you are an insomniac, ask for a room that does not face Hyde or California. I'll include a picture from our window so that you can see the proximity of the route. Beds were comfortable. Bathroom spacious enough. Room was clean. The concierge suite was adequate for breakfast. A solid choice if you want to stay on Nob Hill and find a good deal on a room. I wouldn't advise paying full asking price- at that price point you may be disappointed.
If this is your first time to SF and you choose to stay on Nob Hill, the following paragraph is just my tips concerning this neighborhood. A multi-day pass for MUNI is a great value for this location. 3 cable car routes stop directly in front of the hotel. You will never have trouble getting on the California car (Embarcadero to VanNess), but you may find both Powell cars pretty full, as the hotel is in the middle of the routes- I guess it just depends on the time of day and time of year (Dec was no problem, July was a no-go no matter the time of day). If you walk a few blocks down to Stockton (or take California car downhill), you can catch the 30-Stockton bus, which is a terrific ride through the heart of Chinatown, through the North Beach area, and down to the Marina District. If you continue pass Stockton to the end of Market Street, you can catch a BART route to the Mission District. And lastly, there are several bus options for getting to Golden Gate park. If you don't want to stray far for dinner, Chinatown is next door. The Tonga Room is right across the street- touristy and I'm sure to some, kitschy- we think it's a great time that you should experience at least once in your life. Read up on the history- great story. One of my favorite Thai restaurants, Thai Thai Noodle is the opposite direction, on California, 5 blocks down. Fantastic soup. Lunch options- the famous Swan Oyster Depot is 6 blocks away if you want to try that out. But my absolute favorite place to eat is the Ferry Building/Farmers Market- ride the California car straight down to the bay and walk across Embarcadero and you are there. The Ferry Building has many great dining options- restaurant or picnic treats. The farmer's market is Tues/Thur/Sat. Great street food options on Thurs and Saturday- greatest selection on Saturday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stanford Court San Francisco is fresh, fashionable and at the center of everything savvy visitors want to see and do. Enjoy sweeping views of the city, the bay and the majestic Golden Gate Bridge from our convenient location atop historic Nob Hill. Discover the best of San Francisco's charm and character while enjoying our contemporary boutique hotel as your home base.An ideal location, we are conveniently situated in Nob Hill close to premier shopping, dining, and attractions in Union Square. We are steps to the historic cable cars, a short walk to Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, Union Square and the Ferry Building.393 newly-renovated rooms and suites, offering cool, contemporary accommodations. Three cable car lines running directly in front of the hotel, waiting to whisk you to San Francisco’s hottest neighborhoods and landmarks ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Agoda, Priceline, Hotels.com and TravelUp so you can book your Stanford Court San Francisco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance Stanford Court Hotel San Francisco
- Renaissance Hotel San Francisco
- Renaissance San Francisco
- San Francisco Renaissance