“Won't stay here again!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Arlington, Virginia
“Won't stay here again!”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This could have been the perfect hotel, but it is not. I am so sorry to have to write a bad review, but the attitude of the female concierge was just nasty (the men were lovely), and check in was a joke. Even though I had made the reservation, had the email and phone in my name, because the reservation was in my husband's name they made me sit in the corner and wait for him before I could check in. Is this the 1950s? The front desk told me to call my husband so he could authorize me to check in. I did so, and then they said that no he had to call them. REALLY? He was driving, and they didn't provide me with a number for him to call. I finally texted him with the number. But this was rude, arrogant, insulting and ridiculous. And I was freezing. I never received an apology. BTW, the room amenities were incredibly stingy. A single small bottle of shampoo and conditioner. No cotton swabs, no extra anything to make it nice. Also, it is obviously a business man's hotel and not even complimentary coffee was offered in the lobby. Really stingy place. I guess what can one expect for close to $500/ night. They ought to be ashamed of themselves. Do yourself a favor and stay in Union Square and avoid the hike up the hill for rude treatment.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Peggy E
Michael B, General Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your review with us. I am sorry to hear of your experience while checking in. I understand your frustration of starting a holiday on a sour note. While we value our guest’s comfort and convenience, we have an obligation to maintain the highest regard for the safety and security of our guests as well. Thank you again for your feedback. I hope for the opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Beautiful room, beautiful view, comfy bed, can't fault it really except for maybe the bar meals if you are vegetarian, but plenty of places to eat in the area anyway. Easy walk to the shops & easy jump on the cable car to Fishermans Wharf.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bellbrookbabe
Thank you for your nice review. I am glad that you liked your room with a view. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed 24 June 2014

from the doorman, to the bellman, to the front desk, to the clean up guy at breakfast--everyone had a tremendous service posture and attitude--truly distinctive. Justin at the front desk was most helpful and kind..special place w special people.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank vinman9999
Michael B, General Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for your awesome review! The staff was very pleased to hear of your kind words. I hope you will visit us again soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Design is very refreshing. Got a room at the last minute for $199, which was a good value. Liked the self serve breakfast which was included in the price. Bar food was good. Internet access was reliable and fast.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank jeffleo
Thank you for your review! I’m happy that you enjoyed all of our amenities. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Irvine
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I booked a room online directly through the hotel's website. The website offered several rates ranging in level: standard, premium view and suite - each rate had a photo attached to it. The queen and king premium views looked similar, a corner room with 2 windows overlooking the skyline and bay. I decided to pay extra to book the king premium view. When I arrived the room I got was not a corner room as pictured and the view was marginal. I asked to be moved to the type of room I booked (a corner with view with king bed), After MUCH discussion with the front desk about the room types explicitly pictured on the hotel's website he offered me an 'upgrade' to a queen suite. The room he called "queen suite" was the very room pictured as 'queen premium view' at a lower rate than I paid for the king. He insisted he was giving me an upgrade when in fact it was a downgrade,. He insisted it was the suite, even though it didn't look like the picture of the suite on their website and wasn't a 'suite' at all... I finally took a picture of my room and showed him it was identical to the room shown as the queen premium view - not the suite -.... He said the conversation was 'ridiculous' and agreed to credit my bill for the difference between the room he gave me and the one I had booked. It wasn't that much money but it was the principal......He said the pictures on the website were not accurate - Is that intentional? I don't know ....- I am a lifelong business traveler, platinum with several hotel chains and airlines. The hotel itself is not bad...but the staff attitude and the misleading website are a huge negative. I spoke to the manager the next morning when I checked out. He said ' I already know all about it - you got the room you wanted, right...." - Uh No actually.... The staff needs an attitude adjustment starting with the manager. One last note, - the hotel is right on the cable car line and gets pretty noisy...also bathrooms are quite small.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel unless you are prepared to go through some potential exchanges with the staff - if...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Valerie S
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I sincerely apologize for the service that you received as it is not the standard at which we operate. I am investigating the incident you encountered and will ensure that matters such as yours are always handled honestly and professionally. Thank you again for your feedback and allowing me the opportunity to address issues and areas that require attention.
S
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

This was our first stop on a trip to America. Overall it was a good hotel, and the rooms were clean and well sized. The only thing I wish we had known before booking was that it's at the top of a giant hill in all directions!!!! There is a cable car from downtown that goes right past, but at $6 a ride we chose to exercise our legs and walk (which was quite torturous). To make it worse our room was on the far side of the building and it felt like a 5 min walk from the elevator to our room. There was a lot of shops and restaurants physically close which was convenient but the hill is a killer. I don't think I would return based on that hill alone.

1 Thank Modo3971
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you were pleased with your room and the hotel overall. I agree that the hills are pretty tough to get used, I hope you were able to find some relief through the Muni buses that are conveniently located within a couple blocks of our hotel. Thank you for choosing the Stanford Court!
Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My boyfriend and I went to San Francisco at the beginning of June. Every year we go somewhere that our baseball the NY Mets play. I selected the Stanford Court Hotel as part of a Jet Blue getaway. We loved this hotel. The room was beautiful and big. The services was impeccable and the staff so friendly. They did not have a restaurant on the premises but they did serve breakfast in a really nice open area of the hotel. Free WiFi in the rooms. That was a big plus. The hotel was close to everything. We had two cable cars that were right on our corner. I would go there again. We had such a great time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the city if you can.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EVig629
Thank you for your review. I’m pleased that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your visit to San Francisco and hope that AT&T Park showed you a great time! Please think of us on your next visit to San Francisco.