“Average Hotel, Expensive”

GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Average Hotel, Expensive”
Reviewed 4 July 2005

The lobby of the Stanford Court is beautiful - a nice place to hang out & get a feel of what San Fran used to feel like years in the past. After viewing the lobby I expected more grand things in our room and was disappointed. The room was fine - it was clean & nice but it smelled like an antique store; old. The hotel is definitely an older hotel in need of some upgrades. The bathroom looked like it'd last been renovated in the 1960's, but was otherwise clean.

What has room for improvement is the price of all the incidentals at this hotel. The drink prices in the lobby bar, the room service prices and the parking was highway robbery. Beware: They only offer valet parking (there's no self-parking available and according to the front desk, none nearby.) The only alternative is street parking, which is metered. I suppose if we'd have wanted to walk several blocks we could have found self-parking, but since we were in the City to go to the opera and a nice dinner we weren't exactly in walking attire. The total bill for one night of valet parking was $46.74 including tax. If we'd been told it was that much up front we could have found cheaper parking & taken BART or a quick taxi ride back to the hotel and saved money. I know San Fran isn't known for its inexpensive parking, but we felt almost $47/night was just a little much.

Overall, if The Stanford Court were to remodel its hotel it'd seem more reasonable to pay the high prices, but with its current condition we feel they’re a bit overpriced. It's worth noting that we paid a discounted rate for our room, otherwise if we'd have paid $200+ night we would have only given the hotel 1-star.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 4 July 2005

After reading some of the reviews I was ready for the worst but was surprised by the wonderful place this Hotel really was. The staff was professional, very friendly and helpful. The view from the room was breathless. The area was very safe and a close walk to Union Square, Pier 39 and other great areas. This a very relaxing, quiet, classy Hotel and If you are a family with small children (under 12) this may not be the place for you. The Pier 39 area is more 'Family' friendly. But if you want a romantic time, either alone or with loved ones, I highly reccomend this Hotel. Be sure to ask for the Bay View if available. I was a Priceline customer and I vote 5 Stars for sure. This was a Priceline Jackpot and I will be returning to this Hotel on my next SF trip.

• Stayed July 2005
8 Thank Gordon_Giordano
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 June 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Stanford Court from June 10th to 12th and were very pleased. We didnt go the Priceline route like the last feller, but still found the AAA rate to be reasonable. We were given a 2nd floor room facing an alley, but after a night of noise we asked to switch. They were very accomodating and polite about it, and moved us to a nice quiet upper floor courtyard room while we were out touristicising. It is a full service hotel; doormen, bellhops, turndown service, EXCELLENT concierges... everything was handled with utmost professionalism.
The hotel is not a modern marvel, but I wouldnt call it 'antiquated' like some other reviews on this site. Our rooms were large and well appointed, large bathrooms and down pillows.
The location is very good right in Nob Hill uphill from Union Square, and there are 2 cable car lines that run right to the corner of the hotel. A nice close-by lunch is at the Italian Cafe in Union Square (great people watching) and it really did feel like being in Rome.
I would definitely recommend the Stanford, you get treated like royalty without shelling out the royal jewels.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
South Carolina
Reviewed 13 June 2005

I am writing this review from the perspective from someone who paid $80 a night on Priceline not $180+. I stayed for three nights June 4-7. To save as much money as possible I took the BART station from the airport to the Powell Street station and walked through Union square up to the top of Nob Hill (walking time approx 15 minutes). Ticket price on BART from the airport were $4.95pp. (Instead of $30+ for cab) The walk gets difficult the last three blocks but worth the savings. For someone who is not as adventurous you can take the cable car (stops at the corner of Powell and California) to the top of the hill for $3pp. Upon arriving at the hotel I sensed a little attitude from Rochelle about being a Priceline customer and got a 1st floor room facing Powell Street. We had a really good view of the financial district because the hotel is on the hill anyway and the first floor is basicall the third floor. We could hear the cable cars below and some traffic but it never disturbed me or interupted sleep. The rooms facing the street were large compared the others I saw overlooking the courtyard. The room is confortable but a little antiquated. The old TV in the bathroom was a joke at first but was really handy as I was getting ready in the morning. Is located in a great location for tourists. We walked to North Beach (recommend Pasta Pomodoro for a reasonably priced meal), Fishermans Wharf, Union Square, Coit Tower etc. etc. I wouldn't reccommend it for someone with a bad ticker but it can be done by someone young and fit with no problem. The coffee service and paper in the morning were a very nice touch. I don't feel the place is worth retail price but it was a great find on priceline!

8 Thank pdixie
New York, NY
Reviewed 6 June 2005

The Good: Very courteous staff; new, comfortable mattresses; complimentary Town Car available; free coffee/beverages delivered at your door in the AM; great tourist location.

The Bad: Old 1970's furniture; noisy rooms on lower floors facing the street (cable cars and other street traffic all night); small TV's; dark small rooms facing the inside courtyard where it's quiet; slow elevators.

The Deal Breaker: I reserved a junior suite and requested a high floor. I was given a room on the 2nd floor facing the street. I asked politely and reasonably to be moved to a quieter location, was given a much smaller room facing the inside courtyard. This was not what I wanted or what I was willing (and prepared) to pay for. I would gladly have paid a premium price to have had a junior suite on a high floor which is what I reserved. The front desk clerk told me that they were sold out and there were no junior suites on higher floors available. [My reservation had been made 4 weeks prior to my arrival and I am Marriott Platinum Elite]

I left after one night, cutting short my stay, and chose to stay at the Omni instead. Too bad, because the restaurant at The Stanford Court is very good, especially breakfast.

6 Thank Criticaltraveller
san diego
Reviewed 25 May 2005

I stayed here on business for one night. The location is great, right in front of the cable car line which takes you to the Embarcadero, Union Square, Fisherman's Wharf, North Beach or Chinatown in just a few minutes. It's a good spot for tourists, but not so great for business. It was pretty quiet during the week and I had the definite impression that the hotel has seen better days. The furniture was dated and worn, the fixtures were old and the lobby and public areas look dated. That being said, the customer service was fine and they have FANTASTIC feather beds with Frette linens. The bed was the best thing about the place. If it were shined up a bit and had a little more bustle it would have been great. Given a choice I would stay at the St. Francis or the Fairmont over this place, but it was certainly ok if you can get a priceline deal or similar.

6 Thank ljnative
Eureka, California
Reviewed 7 May 2005

I read some horror stories about this hotel, after I had booked it on line... and... I did experience a problem with my room. When I sat on the bed it fell through the frame onto the floor.

I called for assistance from maintenance. "Joe" arrived in very good time and determined that the wood in the box spring was broken and that we should not use the bed. He called the front desk and asked for a porter to assist us in moving to a new room.

I did find that interesting, considering at check-in, we were told we received the last room with TWO beds. We were escorted to our new room, that was about twice the size of our original with far nicer ammeities - including TWO King beds with european down comfortors (Very Nice). This was a wonderful upgrade. I was pleased that the hotel staff was accommodating.

One review I read had mentioned some staff members by name. I believe the desk clerk who checked us in was one of those mention, in another persons very negative review. I think there may be some staff and management that may not handle complaints well, UNLESS the complaints are presented in a calm and undemanding manner. Presentation of a problem is very important.

Yet, I do get the impression that management pays very close attention to where you purchase your room and how much you pay. And this does determines the quality of room you receive. But that is true of all hotels.

There is a disparity between regular and discounted rooms, at Stanford Court. It would serve this hotel to consider that imbalance, when time comes for a remodel.

I was impressed with the way they handled my NEAR disasterous stay. turning it into a POSITIVE experience. Thank you!

I look forward to staying at Stanford Court again, in the near future.

9 Thank Travillez