“A roof over your head”
Review of Adante Hotel

Adante Hotel
Ranked #185 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 8 January 2013

I only booked into this hotel as I had previously booked an 8 day tour starting at the Adante in San Francisco which was later cancelled and I didn't want to lose the money I'd already paid.

Basically, you get what you pay for with this hotel.

Don't expect views (I certainly didn't get any - *see photo - and that was only my first room over the 4 nights I was there. My second view was worse).

Continental breakfast is provided which is nice (bananas, juice, tea, coffee, toast, bread, spread etc). As I was travelling solo, I didn't enjoy this though because I felt out of place by myself in a busy foyer at breakfast time. I do prefer the more expensive hotels where you can sit in a restaurant or order room service. I ended up finding a nice restaurant (The Grand Cafe) down the road which had great service and affordable prices. Really lovely venue.

When I checked in, the older gentleman struggled to find my booking and seemed very confused that my travel agent had to book me in in two separate bookings (because of the cancelled tour confusion). Other hotels handled this with ease and ensured I didn't have to change rooms during my stay. In this hotel however, they expected me to clear out my room and move halfway through my stay. Would have been nicer if they'd just organised the one room for me to stay in.

The hallways could be noisy at night and from what I could hear it sounded like evening staff were working and talking loudly (two males). They sounded quite sarcastic and I wasn't impressed that I had been woken up by their noise. It was already hard for me to get to sleep as the rooms spooked me a little (*see photos). The rooms were adorned with paintings of amphibians. I hate frogs so seeing them plastered over the walls was unnerving for me.

The TV was an old box-style but it did seem to get a lot of channels which I was pleased about.

The plus-side to this hotel is that it is very close to Union Square, and in Union Square you have access to lots of transport, shops (I highly recommend Macy's) and food outlets.

Check-out was better. The older gentleman letting me use the phone to call the transfer bus company (though I think he'd been confused as he told me the bus came an hour earlier and made me worry that I wouldn't be picked up at all! The bus driver said this wasn't the case).

As I said earlier, you get what you pay for and I was only booked in here as I was scheduled to do an 8 day tour which began here, but was later cancelled. I'd definitely fork out the extra money for a cleaner, friendlier and more organised hotel. But that's just my personal preference.

Room Tip: Ask if there are any rooms not overlooking dirty, barbed wire-ridden rooftops! This was horrible!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Belinda P

Reviewed 8 January 2013

This place was terrible. To start with, when I rang I asked if there was free parking and was assured there was some, so I booked a room. Then when we arrived it turns out parking is $30. The elevator must be a hundred years old - it's much faster to take the stairs as the elevator can only hold 3-4 people, depending on luggage (otherwise it gets stuck). Breakfast consisted of bananas and toast and jam, tea and coffee. I'm not really sure that it warrants advertising as "breakfast". After breakfast we returned to our room (up 5 flights of stairs as the cleaners were using the elevator) to find that we couldn't get back in. So back down 5 flights of stairs to fix the problem. No explanation given. The internet was painfully slow/mostly didn't work. There was also a huge gap in the curtains that couldn't be fixed and it was really noisy outside. The location was OK, but I'm sure there are better places to stay. We paid over $110 to stay here on a Friday night. Spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ruth520
Reviewed 19 December 2012

We stayed at the Marriott Marquis our first night (with points), and then moved over to the Adante for the next two. While the Marriott is of course, much classier with super comfortable beds and a great city view, we would choose to stay at the quaint little Adante over it any day. The Adante provided everything we needed within walking distance of everywhere we wanted to go. A little mediterranean restaurant connects with the hotel, a great food option if you're coming in late from a show at night like we were. Union Square was just a few minutes walk, and Japantown was probably 15-20 min walk in the other direction. The staff was accommodating and friendly, and breakfast was complimentary in the morning (never was down there early enough to see it ourselves though). Coffee maker in the room, hair dryer, cable, warm shower... For the price, it's perfect. Only problem for us was very little cell service in the room (Verizon), but the hallway and lobby allowed us to get a signal just fine. As far as the bums and city shadiness goes... it's all over downtown, no matter what hotel you're at.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shadeson
Reviewed 14 December 2012

The Hotel Adante has rooms are small but quite usable. My queen size room looked much like the web site pictures and had bedside tables, wall lights on each side of the bed, an alarm clock, a desk and closet and even a coffee maker. The closets have irons and ironing boards, and room safe. My room had a ceiling fan which may be needed as the rooms are not air conditioned. There are also no room fridges but ice machines on two of the floors. My room also had a 26 inch tube television. The web site pictures show flat screen tv’s but they are clearly not in all rooms.

The bathrooms have tub/showers and hair dryers. Amenities include conditioning shampoo, lotion and soap for both the sink and tub. There was a box of tissues in th bathroom. Water pressure was good. It I took several showers but the water was barely warm enough and definitely would not be warm enough for a bath. The water from the sink was hot though.

The hotel has fee WiFi but in my experience it cut in and out a lot but may be enough for checking email if you have patience. I could not get a good enough signal to have a Skype conversation from my room in the evening when more people were probably using it so it also might be a bandwidth issue. I noticed a guy in the lobby using his computer perhaps because the signal is better there.

The rooms are decorated with murals painted on a strip around the top ends of the walls, a mirror over the desk and my room had a painting over the bed which was actually a part of the wall as it was painted on the wall and the frame was made of molding which was also attached to the wall. All walls, and door surfaces are painted in a type of rough texture that looks like it was painted over partially scraped paint. It does not look bad though.

The hotel has 7 floors and one elevator. The elevator is listed as having a capacity of 10 but prominent signs say to not use for more than 3 people as it will get stuck. At night you use your door key to open the front door.

A lite continental breakfast is included.

The hotel is located on Geary near Jones Street with small restaurants and shops nearby. It is 4-5 blocks from Union Square. Many years ago this was not the best neighborhood, but it has improved a bit and will probably continue to get better as time goes by.

If the WiFi and shower water temperature were improved The Adante would be a difficult bargain to pass up.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank John G
Reviewed 25 November 2012

The Adante Hotel is located at Geary St, corner of Jones St. Rooms were a bit small, but I wouldn't ask for more for the paid price. Breakfast was basic and good (coffee, bread, butter, jelly, muffins, orange and apple juice, cream, banana).
The problem about this hotel is the location and safety. A few steps from it, at Jones St., there are lots of drug addicts and beggars. People screamed at us out of the blue, I saw guys peeing on the curbside more than once and people cracking up in the middle of the street. The hotel main door seemed to be broken and anyone could get in or out, without notice anytime. Once I walked by the hotel entrance and there was no one at the reception desk. On other day I was heading to my room and saw this guy who looked very strange walking the corridor of my floor. On our last night part of the hotel street was blocked by the police because, supposedly, someone was shot there.

Room Tip: I stayed at 311 (one double queen bed), then moved to 310 (two double queen beds). They are located...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Helvecio
Reviewed 15 November 2012

The Adante is located a couple of blocks away from the Hilton and the NIkko..so, if your organization is having a conference at one of those hotels, you could save a bundle by staying at the Adante. The rooms are large, clean and quiet. The windows open (always a plus). The TV didn't work in my room, but I rarely watch it anyway. The bathroom was huge, it would be possible to hold a small yoga class in there. All in all a great deal for the price, but do watch out, only 3 people can go up at a time in the elevator, or, the signs promise, you will be stuck between floors for the duration!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Liz C
Reviewed 10 November 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Adante for three nights last month (October 16 - 19).

Firstly, the location is great. Walking distance to Union Square, and easy access to shops, restaurants and transportation. We took a shuttle from the airport (which can be arranged with the hotel) and the cost was 17.00 per person,

The hotel itself is old (built in 1910) but it has a lot of character. The standard rooms are pretty small, and there is only a ceiling fan (no A/C). There is free Wi-fi in the rooms, and everything was quite clean. There are ice machines on the 3rd and 6th floor, so if you have drinks, you can keep them cold on ice.

There are seven floors at this hotel, and one elevator. There is actually a sign that says:
"No more than 3 people in the elevator or you might get stuck".

This generally wasn't a problem, as people are coming and going all the time, so you weren't waiting around for the elevator.

There is also continental breakfast in the morning, There isn't a lot of room for everyone to eat (since you are pretty much in the lobby) but we didn't have a problem getting a table each morning.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are staying in San Francisco.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends