“For the price, pretty good”

The Fitzgerald Hotel
Ranked #175 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Seattle, Washington
“For the price, pretty good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

The wildly varying reviews are quite interesting. I suspect it depends on your expectations and how much you paid. I think if I'd paid $219 per night I would be upset as well. However, I paid about $100 per night and was reasonably happy.

The room was very small with just enough room for the double bed and there was no storage space, but the hanging pole had enough room for my clothes for a few days. The bathroom was also small, but the facilities fine.

In general, the hotel seemed a little shabby and in need of some refurbishment, but this seemed typical of the area and for the price was not a problem (if you're expecting the Hilton, then you should expect Hilton prices). The location of the hotel is great - a few minutes walk to the major downtown shopping area and metro station. It is true that the seedier tenderloin is equally close, but you can avoid that and it seemed very safe despite being run down.

The only real gripe I have is the breakfast. They really need to work on this. The dining area in the basement is cramped and the food is basic. They provide some chopped up fruit and various breads and preserves, with coffee and fruit juice. It is really basic and needs better quality foodstuffs and presentation.

All in all, I'd happily stay there again at a reasonable price.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank GAlanS

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

We scored 3 nights here for $80 a night! Different to other reviews so needless to say we got a bargain.

My husband and I stayed here & yes the rooms are small & hot but the cleanliness of the room over ruled the size issue. We ended up sleeping with the window open & thankfully it was Nov so not a hot day at all.

The breakfast was very suitable, tea, coffee, fruit, juice, toast & bagels. Perfect start to the day.

Staff were friendly & spoke fluent English so I'm not sure what the problem was with other reviewers.

I have stayed in many different styles of accommodation and have travelled a lot and found no problems with this hotel.

Location was perfect! :)

• Stayed November 2011
3 Thank Koops31
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

We had booked to stay at the Dakota hotel (sister hotel next door) but we were moved to the Fitzgerald but it was no problem at all. Staff were friendly and check in was fine. Rooms are clean, but small and hot. We thought the hotel was a brilliant base to explore SF. However rooms have no wardrobe or storage space so at times it was a tight squeeze. Tv channels were very limited but the free internet in the rooms is great. Location is the best thing about this place, perfectly central for exploring all of SF. We walked everywhere, union sq is 5 mins, fishermans wharf 15 min walk, market st 5 min walk, really very central! Very safe and quiet at nights. The free breakfast was simple but a great way to start the day, a choice of breads, bagels, jam,s fruit, coffee, juice and tea. The hotel provide a hotel shuttle which is very cheap and operates every 30 minutes. I would definitely stay again if on a budget, thank you for a great week.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dean C
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

We arrived at the Dakota hotel (sister hotel next door) and were moved to the Fitzgerald (no idea why). Check in was easy and staff welcoming. Rooms are clean, VERY small and hot but fine for a base to explore the city. No wardrobe and barely any storage space so bare this in mind. Tv only has 12 channels but wifi is brilliant. Location is amazing, central to everything, safe area and quiet at nights. Free breakfast is great, simple bagels, fruit, coffee but a cheap and yummy way to start the day. We took the airport shuttle to the airport and is only $9 and runs every 30 minutes. I thought it was a little pricey for the space and amenities but the location is worth it and nowhere is cheap in San Francisco! I would definitely stay again if on a budget.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Jenvive
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel while at a conference at Moscone Centre. The location was great and it was a relatively short walk (~10mins) to the conference.
The room was small and near to the stairs and elevator so was quite noisy. I had to use earplugs to get any rest as the walls were quite thin. They are trying to be a trendy boutique-style hotel, but don't quite get there. It was clean, but not great and the furnishings, carpets and bedding looked like they were harbouring years of dust and dirt.
I stayed for four nights and they required full payment upon arrival, which is unusual. I had to email later to ask for a detailed receipt as they did not provide one upon check-out. I definitely wouldn't stay there again on business, but would perhaps stay there if necessary for personal travel.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the being near the stairs or elevator
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Beth604

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

I'm well used to staying in hostels around the world - being flexible and used to sharing space. But this place tested my patience and ability to adapt. Its a great location no doubt about that, near to Union Square and a choice of transport options, you can easily explore central SF from here. BUT its not a reasonable budget option - I'd rather stay in a hostel where I know where I stand and what to expect. We had bad luck, put in a room designed to have disabled access which meant it was right behind reception on the ground floor - not so handy at 4am when the latest lot of backpackers come in, chatting away. The decor leaves something to be desired and our windows were directly on to the street. It was clean but not exceptionally clean. Breakfast was served in the basement, an assortment of jams, marmalade, nutella and bagels. At least it was included and was filling.

Overall I couldn't recommend this to anyone. I'm convinced there are better options out there.

Room Tip: Don't get the ominously titled Room 101, ground floor right by reception with windows directly o...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank amyreist
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

I read the reviews here and decided I'd give the Fitzgerald a try - despite some rather bad reviews there seemed to be some good ones too. When in SF on business I generally stay down on Geary or O'Farrell but all the places I generally stay were full. It turns out I'm glad they were as I enjoyed my stay at the Fitzgerald.

Location: It's close to Union Square and Market Street, but being up on Post Street is far enough away, by a block uphill, to avoid the real touristy traffic. It's also nice because you stand on the sidewalk on Post and not be bothered every few minutes by the panhandlers. The street also has kind of nice feel to it. Little restaurants, lots of young people, a couple hostels in the immediate vicinity.

Room: My room was great for just me. I booked one of the largest rooms available so it was big enough but I could tell that some of the rooms in the hotel are extremely small so keep that in mind. It was clean. Nice old heavy wood furniture. Comfortable bed.

Staff: Staff was friendly, very pleasant and helpful.

Other guests: A mixed bag. Lots of younger folks, many from Europe. No big noisy partying or anything though.

I really liked the little wine bar in the lobby. Very nice place, excellent selection of wines and little plates of food like cheese and charcuterie.

So - it's not fancy but it's nice. Most of the rooms are tiny but for the price it's doable. Great location. Great for younger or budget travelers. It ain't the Ritz, but that's not what I was looking for. If you fell the same way you'll enjoy your stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business